Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/2/2005 12:11:06 PM EDT
pics added
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 12:56:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I would try the closest men's store or women's store depending upon whether a boar or sow
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 1:02:00 PM EDT
[#2]
smart@#$  

Also, any AL-specific hints for hunting this thing?  Should I stalk, time o' day, etc?
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 5:04:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
smart@#$  

Also, any AL-specific hints for hunting this thing?  Should I stalk, time o' day, etc?

early morning late afternoon 2 hours before sun up or sun rise atleast ..near a water hole ..with a corn pile

dress him yourself ....not hard to do if you have a knife and a piece of rope....

if all else fails go to wallmart they have a special on pork
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 6:15:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 12/4/2005 5:16:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Judging by the last pic, the title should be Hogs & Dogs in Central Alabama :0

Don't shoot Max, he's probably just tracking hogs too. And before anyone else chimes in, no it's not a cyote track, they don't get that big.... ....at least not in Alabama.

You can bait hogs. Take a five gallon bucket and fill 1/2 to 3/4 with corn. Corn costs somewhee around $5 for a 50lbs sack. Then add a couple of 2 liter bottles of cheap soda. Top off with a beer if you have one and maybe a package of yeast. All you're really trying to do is start the fermentation process (corn, sugar, yeast.) Store covered in sunlight for a week. Be carefull, it will stink! Dig a hole near the tracks, preferably a spot with a little cover for you and a little cover for the pigs. Empty contents in hole and cover with dirt.

Add 5.56 and you'll have bacon.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 5:55:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Really?  People are telling me in my other thread in GD not to use 5.56?
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 3:29:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hog Hunting = Big Gun & a tall Tree:)  IMMHO that is:)

Rick
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 5:28:27 AM EDT
[#8]
How big a hog would you say that is?
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 5:23:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Many people will take the position that a hog can only be taken with a 577 T-Rex, but a 5.56 to the head will work just fine.

You know, the hogs we have in Alabama as well as most of the rest of the U.S. are merely feral hogs. That means that they are just domesticated pigs that have been living in the wild. Are they tough? Sure. But they are not the mythical creatures some make them out to be.

I think a lot of the over blown stories of hogs being super-tough animals has to do with the fact that they have a lot of fat, thick hide, and dense fur which makes tracking them hard because its hard to get a good blood trail on one.

If you bait them like I suggested earlier in this thread, you can sneak up on them and pop'em from a safe distance. If you can shoot a can from 50 yards you should be able to hit the pig's head from the same distance.

YMMV
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 5:51:11 AM EDT
[#10]
When I was growing up in the country, we used to kill our hogs with a single .22 short between the eyes. .223 is all you need if you hit them in the right spot.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 7:18:43 AM EDT
[#11]

I love my black rifle.  Let's see what happens.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 9:39:28 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I love my black rifle.  Let's see what happens.  

So you going to try baiting them up?
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 9:43:02 AM EDT
[#13]
unless it is illegal, yes.  I'm taking three days off here and there in the next two weeks, so I'm going to scout and try to get some Christmas ham (probably in the 'marsh' area below)

Link Posted: 12/7/2005 5:56:29 PM EDT
[#14]
This is a copy of a post from another talk group from last month. Beetle I have a new to me win94 30-30 just waiting for another pig.

Sweet I just got back from a trip to Ft Benning. This was my first time ever hunting and man was I excited. It was crossbow/bow only and was set up literally right on an Ambush training lane. We first went in the morning and discovered the pack had cleaned out two plots, so after an hour and a half we called it quits and decided to come back at sunset. I am in a tree stand and the suns going down fast, my friend was on the ground spotting for me and let me know the pack was coming from the rear but I could not see them. Well damn if the sun didnt go down faster and right as I could barely see through the scope the pack made it to within 15 meters there must have been 25 of them all in a pack taking their sweet time getting into the kill zone. I have to say they were damn quite and I would have never known they were to the side of me if I was looking forward. By this time I am looking through the scope and cant see anything so I aim for a large group. Luckily just a bit more sun came through the trees and I aimed for the center boar. Snap and bang and then a thump I got him. Well now the sun is down and for about 2hrs we are tracking this boars blood and lost the trail several times and the trail went all over it was crazy. after about 100meters easily we find the boar laying in a thicket on a knoll....but there's a lot more blood now still going. We shine my light about 3 meters in front to a small creek and hot damn another one. Turns out since I aimed for a group the arrow hit the first one in the shoulders went through and hit the second one in the gut hind quarters. Two with one arrow. They were small and did not have any tusks for me to keep but for a first hunting trip awesome. Both were processed and are now in my freezer in all about 50 pounds of meat. By the way the processor Daphines in Columbus was awsome and were kind enough to hurry my stuff overnight for no extra charge. No if I could only go hunting in Wisconson next weekend since I will be there.

Link Posted: 12/8/2005 5:09:15 AM EDT
[#15]

wow James - that's quite a story!  We're going to have to start calling you William Tell

What will you be doing up in Wisconsin?  So what is your opinion on taking one with .223?  I'm glad you chimed in, since I haven't talked to you in a while.  Everything going well at the casa with the business and your little lady?  Nice pics too, by the way.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 5:50:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Beetle, .223 will kill hogs if you hit them where you are supposed to.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 9:48:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I was up in Wisconsin to get another certification, this time it was facotry certification for Duracoat. Man everything is so busy with Christmas comming up, and I am so close to finally opening a brick and morter as well as keeping the Internet stuff. I just have to leave time to get out and shoot. By the way the wild pig meat is good, even if they were small.

223 would get it done, can you get ammo that wont tumble when it hits and break up, I dont really know how much meat it would ruin or if it would. Remeber that was my first hunting trip.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 5:28:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Cool!  Is the brick and mortar going to be located there where you live?  I'm thining about ussing some M855 for the hog(s); I hope to scout the area out some tomorrow.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 12:58:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Oh yea the store will be located some where close basically becuase I dont like traffic. Not to close to Southeastern maybe close to their old location.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 1:12:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, let we know if you need any help or advice on the business end of things.  In nine days I will officially be versed in 'Financial Management', courtesy of UAB

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:30:06 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
smart@#$  

Invite me.

Have Guide Gun, will travel.

I need to take a pic of "Glenn".  Named after my sister-in-law, who has bright red hair.  Just as "Glenn" does.

Merlin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top