Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2005 6:43:11 AM EDT
On the way to work this morning, I heard a snippet (tuned in halfway through) of a quote from (very liberal) Mayor Bright in which he sounded like he was telling the good citizens of Montgomery they should arm themselves...

I only heard a little bit of this & can't find any references in the usual news sources - anyone here know the whole story?  Has even he finally "seen the light?"

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:28:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know much about Bright, but I do know that if it was not for all of the tax dollars flowing into Montgomery from the rest of the state, Montgomery would not exist.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:53:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I don't know much about Bright, but I do know that if it was not for all of the tax dollars flowing into Montgomery from the rest of the state, Montgomery would not exist.

Not sure exactly what you mean?

If you are talking about all the people who work here but don't live here,

(Plus my wife, most of our friends, ... )
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:38:32 AM EDT
[#3]
They had the full story on the Ten O'clock News last night...

www.wsfa.com/Global/story.asp?S=3852587&nav=0RdDeY02

Mayor Bright suggests crime solution: Buy a gun

Sep 15, 2005, 09:26 AM    

"What we need to do... Is there any media? Chief, can I say this?," asked Mayor Bobby Bright at Tuesday's Kiwanis Club of Montgomery meeting.

"I've said it one time. Get a gun and teach our folks how to use them and shoot 'em."

Several members of the audience, approximately 100 members of the Kiwanis Club of Montgomery, broke out into nervous laughter and applause after Mayor Bright said this as the guest speaker.

To put this in context, Mayor Bright spoke directly to the issues of having an understaffed police force, clogged courts, and a vast majority of crime in Montgomery committed by the same relatively small number of people over and over again.

Bright went on to say,"There's going to be people out there who write me and say, 'God, Mayor, why are you doing this?' Listen to what I'm saying. Get your gun, learn how to shoot it, learn how to use it and use it. "

We asked the Montgomery Police Department what it thought of Mayor Bright's statements.

Spokesman Lt. Huey Thornton says, "The mayor made some good points. If a person chooses to own a handgun, then we think it is important that they know how to use that handgun and they know when the law allows them to use it."

Bright adds, "That's the only thing that we can really tell our folks to do at this point in time. If there's anything else that you know that the chief and i can do to keep this crime down, keep these guys from stealing... let me know."

Montgomery Police Chief Art Baylor is a Kiwanis Club member himself and was in attendance at Tuesday's meeting at the RSA Activity Center. WSFA 12 News tried several times to speak with Mayor Bright on camera, but he was unavailable for comment.

For people who do own a gun, or thinking about buying one, the city of Montgomery does offer a firearms safety course free of charge. You can call the police academy at (334) 240-4812 to sign up.

Reporter: Theo Travers

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:40:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Oh... y'all might want to hit the poll on their home page:

www.wsfa.com/

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:45:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Geez, does this mean the gun show will be crowded this weekend?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:01:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Finally, a politician with some common sense! I don't know what this guy's stand is on other issues but I can say that I am truly impressed.

Maybe he should run for Gov. of People's Republik of Kalifornia.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:21:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Finally, a politician with some common sense! I don't know what this guy's stand is on other issues but I can say that I am truly impressed.

Maybe he should run for Gov. of People's Republik of Kalifornia.

Bobby Bright has no common sense which I wouldn't expect you to know.

But he can't be all bad telling the citizens to pack heat.

It may just be me, but it seems like the media was trying their hardest to put a negative slant on his comments. Granted, he didn't phrase it in the most eloquent manner.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:57:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Geez, does this mean the gun show will be crowded this weekend?

There's a show this weekend?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:10:35 AM EDT
[#9]
A friend told me he saw an ad in the Bulletin Board that there was one at the Shriner's this weekend (of course they are all at the Shriner's now, so I don't know who is putting it on)
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:26:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
A friend told me he saw an ad in the Bulletin Board that there was one at the Shriner's this weekend (of course they are all at the Shriner's now, so I don't know who is putting it on)

Yep. I found out after my post avbove that it's one of Allen Daniels' (Central AL Shooters & Collectors) shows - the "good ones" IMHO.  I usually get a notice in the mail about these - don't know what happened this time...

I'll probably go tomorrow morning when they first open up for an hour or two.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:13:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'll probably go tomorrow morning when they first open up for an hour or two.

Well, I went for a couple of hours first thing on Saturday morning... decent show, but I didn't find either of the items I was specifically looking for.

I did come away with a few much-needed parts and magazines...

... and a Glock 34 followed me home.  

I tried to shake it off, but it was very, very determined.

ETA:  BTW, I did not see Mayor Bright there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top