Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2005 2:15:52 PM EDT
Hey all,

I just got access to a tiller. Is there anything I can plant in the next few months? Spinach, pumpkins, potatoes.....?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Also, when do you plant bradford pears, crape mrytles, and pine trees?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:04:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Turnip greens this winter
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:53:06 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

What month?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:14:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What month?

I think that if you'll get out there right now, get the ground worked up, you should be good to go.  Buy your seed from the local farmers CoOp and get them to just fix you up with a mix of Seven-Top, Purple-Top (for the turnips), Kale & Rape.  Might want to toss in some Mustard as well.  Dang, getting hungry already!   OH, you'll want to work in some fertilizer while you're tilling the soil, probably some 13-13-13 will do the trick.

They will taste much better after a hard frost has hit.  The greens should last all winter and then put on another crop before it gets too hot in the spring.  

Rick
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:15:06 PM EDT
[#4]
To late for pumpkins.

Get a Farmers Almanac.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:41:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What month?

I think that if you'll get out there right now, get the ground worked up, you should be good to go.  Buy your seed from the local farmers CoOp and get them to just fix you up with a mix of Seven-Top, Purple-Top (for the turnips), Kale & Rape.  Might want to toss in some Mustard as well.  Dang, getting hungry already!   OH, you'll want to work in some fertilizer while you're tilling the soil, probably some 13-13-13 will do the trick.

They will taste much better after a hard frost has hit.  The greens should last all winter and then put on another crop before it gets too hot in the spring.  

Rick

Probably a little too early. Too hot. Ask coop
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:59:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Pine trees??  Your in Alabama, you dont plant pine trees, you cut them down!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:27:22 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What month?

Rick

Probably a little too early. Too hot. Ask coop

I haven't had a garden in several years now, but when I did, I normally planted my fall stuff in late August to mid September.  This is in N. Alabama.

Rick
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:59:22 AM EDT
[#8]

pot in the early spring
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:46:47 AM EDT
[#9]

I try to have al my greens planted by August 15 in w. TN.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:48:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Now through the end of Sept is the time to plant your greens.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:06:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Second that.

Farmer's Almanac is cheap and has it all.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:07:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
pot in the early spring

Negative, year round.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:32:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
pot in the early spring

Negative, year round.

Huh, year around?  How about frost & freezing?  The ground in N. Alabama can freeze to 12" or more.

Rick
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:37:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
pot in the early spring

Negative, year round.

Huh, year around?  How about frost & freezing?  The ground in N. Alabama can freeze to 12" or more.

Rick

I think he meant indoors.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top