Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2005 9:14:04 AM EDT
Hello Everyone,

My mother reminded me of something today. She worked for the phone company her whole career, and reminded me that telephone companies run power through the phone lines. At least, enough power to get the phones to work. Now, this only works with old phones that do NOT have an electrical plug. So while you guys are out helping victims, and you see that their phone line to the house is intact, tell them to get out their old phones (the ones w/ out all of the fancy crap that requires electrical power) and they might have telephone service so they can contact loved ones.

Accountant
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:29:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Yep. I keep one for that purpose
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:02:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I did phone work for Bell for 31 years. Let me tell you this,  phones & water do not mix!

If you've had flooding, most everything will need to be replaced.  You might possibly take some new wire, connect it directly to the line outside, cut in a new jack and use a new cord to the phone.  Inspect anything that you reuse real close.  Example, if inspectiong a jack and you see anything across the tiny wires that provide the connection, then replace it!  No amount of blowing on it, using WD40, etc will repair it.  The jack must be replaced including the jack in the outside interface.  For that, the local phone company will need to come out for those can't be bought at the local "Mart" stores.   The house wiring could need replacing as well.

Also, jacks may have to be replaced again after a few days if the house in in the drying out mode.  All the humidity will get into them and short everything out again.  I've seen it happen many times.  I would suggest just getting 1 to working and leave the rest for when the house if repaired.  Believe it or not, dipping the cord into some grease before putitng it into the jack may help to keep it from going out again.

If anyone needs help, feel free to IM me.  

Rick
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top