Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2005 10:02:38 AM EDT
There's a distinct possibility that I will be driving from Columbus, Ohio to Lafayette to work within the next couple of days.  Can somebody please recommend the best route to take to get from, say, Memphis to Lafayette?

maps.yahoo.com/dd_result?newaddr=&taddr=&csz=memphis%2C+tn&country=us&tcsz=lafayette%2C+la&tcountry=us
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:11:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I-55 is open southbound through MS so you should be OK, but be advised, fuel is in short supply in MS and LA.  I'd highly suggest topping off in Memphis then top off once you get below 3/4 tank until you get to your destination.  

If you want to stay on interstate the whole way, your best bet is I-55 all the way to Hammond, LA, then west on I-12 into Baton Rouge (we have fuel but our supply is running short) and then pick up I-10 for the last 60 miles into Lafayette.  

If you don't mind secondary roads, I'd suggest I-55 to Jackson, west on I-20 to Monroe, LA, south on US-165 to Alexandria, LA, then south on I-49 to Lafayette.  You may fare slightly better going the second route as far as fuel goes, but it will take longer.  

Be advised, our security situation is dynamic at this point and is constantly evolving.  The closer you get down here, the fewer supplies we have and the more irate the refugees get.  I"m expecting looting and rioting within the next few days regardless of SWAT/Natn'l Guard/miltiary presence.  If you come, come loaded for bear.  Watch your 6 and keep as much fuel in your vehcile as you can afford.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:10:33 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I-55 is open southbound through MS so you should be OK, but be advised, fuel is in short supply in MS and LA.  I'd highly suggest topping off in Memphis then top off once you get below 3/4 tank until you get to your destination.  

If you want to stay on interstate the whole way, your best bet is I-55 all the way to Hammond, LA, then west on I-12 into Baton Rouge (we have fuel but our supply is running short) and then pick up I-10 for the last 60 miles into Lafayette.  

If you don't mind secondary roads, I'd suggest I-55 to Jackson, west on I-20 to Monroe, LA, south on US-165 to Alexandria, LA, then south on I-49 to Lafayette.  You may fare slightly better going the second route as far as fuel goes, but it will take longer.  

Be advised, our security situation is dynamic at this point and is constantly evolving.  The closer you get down here, the fewer supplies we have and the more irate the refugees get.  I"m expecting looting and rioting within the next few days regardless of SWAT/Natn'l Guard/miltiary presence.  If you come, come loaded for bear.  Watch your 6 and keep as much fuel in your vehcile as you can afford.

Thanks for the info.  Might I be arrested for having a loaded long gun in the car?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:40:07 AM EDT
[#3]
NO!  Here in LA we have a right to kill alw, which basically says your vehicle is an extension of your home and as such you have the right to have a loaded firearm in it (as long as it's not concealed and you don't have a CCW) and you are premitted to use deadly force to defend it if you feel your life is in danger.

I carry a loaded and partiall concealed weapon in my vehicle 24/7/365 and during the cooler months there's usually 2 or 3 of them in there.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:30:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I live in Lafayette and my parents just drove up to Memphis from Alexandria. No problems whatsoever. However just to be safe I would carry some kind of gas can and keep about 5 gallons of
extra gas with you and don't let your gauge get below half. We are experincing some shortages down
here in Lafayette. Not widespread but there are some shortages.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top