Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/28/2005 7:21:53 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:36:48 AM EDT
[#1]
We have stocked up on food, water, ammo, etc. and will sit this one out in Baton Rouge.  Still need to fuel up the vehicles and get some cash from the ATM this afternoon (Sunday).
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:24:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:42:24 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks beerslayer.....i have beer blolgna pb&j and tea ammo ....i am all set

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:56:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Ammo, water, food, generator. Ready to go here. Shouldnt be too bad here in Lafayette, but I'm prepared anyhow.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:36:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:41:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Good luck guys,, we managed to dodge this one (im in West Central Florida) it skimmed along the south , but thats about it. If our work allows us to come up , I may see ya;ll with gettin utiities goin again.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:39:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:47:50 PM EDT
[#8]
After Andrew, there was a lot of looting and the power crews/phone crews would not work after dark.  The national gaurd had to provide them protection during the day and even then, some of them got shot at.  Good luck to you guys on the coast.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:49:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Stay safe guys/gals.My thoughts will be with all of you to pull through this.I am scared for everybody in the path,so I can't even imagine what must be going through your heads.

Positive thoughts on the way until this storm passes.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:22:48 PM EDT
[#10]
So far so good here in lafayette. The guys from N.O. areas probably won't be posting unless their hotel far away has net connection. Good luck to you guys.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:27:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I may be going down too as part of EMA for Cullman. We usually will send 4 or 5 police officers to help with looting and and general cleanup.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:12:55 PM EDT
[#12]
It's about 11:15pm here in Bogalusa, and we haven't had much rain or wind yet.  That is supposed to start changing by midnight.  By early morning tomorrow, we should be getting much stronger winds.

Tomorrow is going to be a long day.  I've decided to fill one of my aluminum medical chests with canned and dry goods, and have put in my truck, along with some bottled water.  I have to stay at the hospital, so I don't know what is going to happen to my house.  I'd rather have some of my stuff near me so I can keep an eye on it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:52:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Mike(aka The_Beer_Slayer): How are things in your neck of the woods, is it raining pretty hard? I think you're minimally affected by this hurricane, right?

For all you folks down in the gulf Coast states, please be very careful. I am hoping that this this is just a bunch of media hype, but from what I can see this is the real deal, SHTF-scenario that we discussed in ARFCOM's survival forum.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:24:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:12:41 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
i an in birmingham a good ways away.

we won't get anything until tomorrow afternoon most likely.

NO is going to get hit hard but MS is going to get pounded. they are going to get 90% of the damage as it looks like the path is prtty much the whole state getting hurricain force winds for an extended time.

mike

+1

I am a little worried about it.  Ivan was downright scary where I am north of Birmingham, and we actually had damage from the last one (Dennis?).  I'm about tired of hurricanes for the year.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:12:22 AM EDT
[#16]
at LSU here.  starting my 2nd year.  stocked up on foodstuffs and naturally, ammo.  

i'm from new orleans and that is where my parents live and where my dad's business is.  i'm just wondering if there's going to be a house to go back to after this.

the rest of my family has evacuated to different states.  i'm riding it out at my apartment here in baton rouge.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:15:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:56:50 AM EDT
[#18]
What little we got has all but gone away here in Lafayette. Light rain and a little wind is all that's left. No major problems here. Best of luck to those still in the path of this thing.

edit:
Hm..now we're starting to get power blinks and the wind's picking up. maybe we're not out of it yet.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:53:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Glad to hear Lafayette escaped unscathed. My crew and I got the pleasure of riding through Katrina
tearing through the keys... We're sitting in Tallahassee waiting to see how things are going. We won't
be able to head home for a few more days, but we'd like to know what roads are available to us. We're
considering going up to Atlanta and across to Shreveport, then south to Lafayette area. I'm thinking
I10 is going to be a mess for at least a week. I've contacted friends and family, and so far everyone's
alright. It's awful creepy getting caught out of state when something like this goes down...

Sam
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:25:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Does anyone know if mandatory evacuations were ordered in  Waveland to Gulfport areas? It looks like they'll be the worst hit. Still no word from those areas on the channels i have been watching.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:03:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:06:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:10:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Everything is good here. Do any of you  know if we have members in Southwest Miss. Waveland to Gulfport. I'm afraid its going to be really bad when we hear from those areas (Waveland, Bay St. Louis, Pass Christian, Gulfport etc.)

It looked kinda bad in Baton Rouge, I'd imagine not many of them left and are out of power now. Check in when you have a chance, LAConfederate, Szurgot, BigAl, Pulpsmack, SkiandShoot I'm sure i missed a few. Stay Safe!
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:24:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:42:35 PM EDT
[#25]
The only one i have a number for is szurgot. I guess cell service is disrupted in BR. Cannot get through.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:01:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:04:23 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm OK here in BR. Power went out at my place just before noon. I'm in my office at LSU now. Power never went out here. I'm hearing there was a lot of damage to NO and the surrounding Parishes. Looks like this thing could've been a lot worse. Thankful that is wasn't.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:31:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:56:16 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
gotcha bigal. do you have any contact info for the other guys?

Negative. Hopefully they'll check in sometime when they get power back up. But that could be a while.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:14:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Glad everything's OK there BigAl.  Hopefully We'll hear from some of the other guys with good news soon.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:16:52 PM EDT
[#31]
baton rouge here.  power went out for about 4 hours earlier today but its been restored.

my cell phone service works when i go on the porch (sprint).

the only problem is we're trying to find a place that has ground beef so we can have a BBQ
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:18:38 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm in the process of getting the worst of it right now in Starkville (NE MS).

Heavy winds and a lot of rain but not a lot of damage so far... mainly just a few trees down.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:14:16 PM EDT
[#33]
I am around and ok (evac to houston)... Has anyone heard anything about kenner and flooding? I am waiting to see if I have a house left... DAMN this sucks...
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:41:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Wish you guys the best.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:32:18 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Everything is good here. Do any of you  know if we have members in Southwest Miss. Waveland to Gulfport. I'm afraid its going to be really bad when we hear from those areas (Waveland, Bay St. Louis, Pass Christian, Gulfport etc.)

It looked kinda bad in Baton Rouge, I'd imagine not many of them left and are out of power now. Check in when you have a chance, LAConfederate, Szurgot, BigAl, Pulpsmack, SkiandShoot I'm sure i missed a few. Stay Safe!

The family and I are fine.  Had some rain and wind as you would expect, power went out early and stayed out for about 15 hours.  Luckily I prepared and things werent too bad here.  I worry more about the folks I see on TV now that I can see the aftermath.  Thanks for checking on us.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:41:31 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I am around and ok (evac to houston)... Has anyone heard anything about kenner and flooding? I am waiting to see if I have a house left... DAMN this sucks...

I was listening to the radio last night and there was a report that Kenner got some heavy damage. Supposedly the mayor was reporting 100% of houses in Kenner sustained some damage (from minor to total collapse). May have been a case of journalistic embellishment. At least I hope so.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:06:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:14:53 AM EDT
[#38]
It seems we had a few members living on the Ms coast. I don't recognize many of these names, maybe they are not active anymore. The Ms Locator was archived due to slow response.

archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=31&t=179698&page=3
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:44:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Just letting y'all know I am thinking about y'all.  If there is anything you all need post it in the Virginia forum  and we can try to help.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:22:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Ok here, lots of damage, no power but wife's office still has service.

steve
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:26:32 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Ok here, lots of damage, no power but wife's office still has service.

steve

Glad you are ok.  Homes will be rebuilt.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:09:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Checking in alive and possibly unscathed. There is an old stubborn MoFo trying to cut a tree from this powerline (refusing help all the way) which is making my power blink on and off. If he disrupts it the power co won't respond for days given the workload, so evidently I'll be in jail for manslaugher.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:40:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Hi Folks. Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers.
We live in Picayune, 50 miles north of N.O. We are fine, staying in Atlanta. We do have family back there that couldn't leave, but talked to them Mon. while they were in the eye. So far all were fine. Hopefully they got through the back side of it OK, as all phones have been out since, and we haven't been able to contact them.

I found a hotel room in Meridean, two hours from home. Does anyone know if Meridean has power? If so, I plan to get down there and use it as a base to get to the family and homes. (I got reservations from the national #, can't get Meridean on the phone)

Please pray for the folks caught up in this. I hate to ask that, sometimes it sounds so hollow, but many people will need all the help they can get to get through it.

I'll try to check back in when I can get to a comp. again, and thanks again for all the prayers. BW
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:56:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Our power is trying to come back on.... very sporadic at this point.. it'll be on for a hour or two and then off for a few hours.... getting really tired of playing extention cord monkey.... start generator, run wire to water pump, hook up freezers and fridges...... then undo it all again every couple hours..

no phones, cell service is spotty at best.

thank god it isn't raining..... have a lot of ceiling damage from roof leaks.... finally got the tree off my truck... at least it's drivable. Got the trees off the house, garage is toast along with much of my machine tools....

gonna take 3-4 tractor trailer loads to clear the debris out of my place..... my 18" chain saws aren't up to the task of cutting up these huge trees that are down....

Steve

Mobile
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:26:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Finally got to where I could get online.  We took a good beating here in BR but nothing like what the folks south and east of us are going through.  Here's a SITREP for BR and the surrounding areas for those interested.

Right now most of the area around BR has some service returned but there are still areas that are without power.  We have somewhere around 100,000 refugees from New Orleans and points east sheltered in this area, most of whom have nothing but a change of clothes and little else.  There is widespread looting in the New Orlenas area and well as along the MS Gulf Coast.  Most schools in this area are closed until further notice.  There are well over 2,000,000 people suddenly unemployed and homeless along the Gulf Coast due to catastrophic damage.  Here in BR, we have power mostly but it's spotty.  I fear that the refugees will soon become irate at the situation and desparate when their money's run otu and the realization sinks in that they will be in this situation for many many weeks.  Once they reach this point, rioting and looting may become widespread.  The situation is critical and I fear may only get worse.

I'd like to see if anyone from this area is interested in forming a home guard or something.  If these people lose faith in the system and start going nuts, the poop will hit the fan quickly and law enforecemetn may be inadequate to deal with it.  We may be able to lend assistance and firepower if the thugs decide to bring out their AKs and gangs try to take advantage of this situation.

Anyway, it's good to be alive and able to post.  Glad to see a lot of good folks made it through OK, but I'd sure feel better if we could get in contact with everyone.

Brian [><]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:54:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:55:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Sambeaux is a-ok, as is all family. I got caught in FL with no way back home for Katrina. The rest of
my crew will still be driving in, but I'm flying back in the am. All the survey companies will be busy
locating offshore pipelines for the next few weeks. Anybody heard anything about Fourchon or Venice?
Most of the work will be near that area, but I don't think the ports are accessible. Last I heard, we'll
be working out of Cameron.

For anyone looking for a place to go, there are several shelters opening up in the Lafayette area. I hear
that the old Fruit of the Loom plant in Abbeville will be opened as a shelter.

Good luck to all.

Sam
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:20:28 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Sambeaux is a-ok, as is all family. I got caught in FL with no way back home for Katrina. The rest of
my crew will still be driving in, but I'm flying back in the am. All the survey companies will be busy
locating offshore pipelines for the next few weeks. Anybody heard anything about Fourchon or Venice?Most of the work will be near that area, but I don't think the ports are accessible. Last I heard, we'll
be working out of Cameron.

For anyone looking for a place to go, there are several shelters opening up in the Lafayette area. I hear
that the old Fruit of the Loom plant in Abbeville will be opened as a shelter.

Good luck to all.

Sam

Both were underwater. The Highway to Fourchon is passable now and people went there today to assess damage for the Baroid stockpoint. From what I hear there. It sustained little damage, mostly flooding. Of course all of the inventory there will be completely destroyed.

The rig that I was going to be working on WAS in 1800' of water (not sure how far out...90+ miles) is now sitting on the beach in Grande Isle.

Venice is much worse. The route there is still not passable, but the areal photos I have seen there don't look good. A lot of places in venice will have to be rebuit and not repaired.

Still no word from 80% of our engineers or office personell out of new orleans which means I should have work covering some of their spots for a few weeks. After that, business may be really slow for me here.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:40:33 AM EDT
[#49]
No power and a big hole in my roof but otherwise the CavalryFamily is ok.

A big tree limb came throught my roof Monday morning.  I removed the limb and stapled plastic around the hole...it should keep out a light rain until I can get it fixed.

We have plenty of water/food and a big generator.  Gas and gas cans have been difficult to find.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:09:15 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Both were underwater. The Highway to Fourchon is passable now and people went there today to assess damage for the Baroid stockpoint. From what I hear there. It sustained little damage, mostly flooding. Of course all of the inventory there will be completely destroyed.

The rig that I was going to be working on WAS in 1800' of water (not sure how far out...90+ miles) is now sitting on the beach in Grande Isle.

Venice is much worse. The route there is still not passable, but the areal photos I have seen there don't look good. A lot of places in venice will have to be rebuit and not repaired.

Got the word from the horse's mouth this aftermoon. I'm heading offshore tomorrow am to help Shell find
their pipleines. The oil companies are pretty good at finding their platforms that got away, but the survey
companies will be busy finding pipelines or verifying that they're still where they're supposed to be. Looks
like I'll be gone at least a month.

Sam
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top