Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:16:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Not good for my neck of the woods.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:07:33 AM EDT
[#2]
get a life persever....
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:34:07 AM EDT
[#3]
All of the other models have it hitting a little further east.  Looks like all of the "Gulf States" will get some of this one....
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:10:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Smells like overtime for me.  Glad I never took those Disaster Recovery Team signs off my truck.....  Now where did I put that kayak???

Woody
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:18:51 AM EDT
[#5]
If this track holds true, the eye will be coming right over me.

Between Covington and Bogalusa, LA
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:53:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If this track holds true, the eye will be coming right over me.

Between Covington and Bogalusa, LA

Me too (Abita Springs)
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 12:39:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm going to be sitting this one out in Bush.  If anyone needs trees cut afterwards (and assuming they are able to email me ) me and some friends are thinking of organizing a clean up crew.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:56:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
All of the other models have it hitting a little further east.  Looks like all of the "Gulf States" will get some of this one....

Now all but one shows it hitting LA!
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:35:08 PM EDT
[#9]
It seems to be tracking further and further west. I'm in Lafayette, and I've yet to rule out a direct hit on us.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:36:05 PM EDT
[#10]

gotta finish getting the flashing up on my eaves!
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:25:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Going to Biloxi via New Orleans..it will brush NO then head northeastward into Biloxi..this is a big sotrm, which will probably turn deadly in the next 48 hours.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:13:54 PM EDT
[#12]
You La. guys duck and hunker down. Got my mother to B'ham today from BR but daughter and family are in Nola. Trying to get them to leave
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:54:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm thinking NOLA is only going to get the west side of the storm, which is the weakest and will blow the water away from land.  Watch out MS coast.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:42:31 AM EDT
[#14]
I just finished my Bug In shopping. a little ingenuity yielded pretty good results:

- People are scrambling for water. Aside from filling the tub and the washing machine (for toilet/bath water) I bought a big tupperware storage box. It's 45 gallon capacity which should be plenty of potable H2O for the time being

- Everybody's raiding Wal Mart. Batteries & Drinking water are plentiful and competitively priced at the drug store.

- At Wal Mart they have plenty of Butane burners but sold out of the Coleman butane bottles. Of course, most sheeple fail to comprehend that a few aisles down in hardware they sell the larger butane cans for torches and those are compatible with the burners.

Wish us luck... we may need it finally.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:35:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Good luck guys!  I just heard that Katrina has become a category 5 hurricane.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:07:45 AM EDT
[#16]
It's a Cat 5 and this will be a devastating. This has the potential to be one of those once in a lifetime events that 20 years from now, we all remember where we were at the exact moment when the after-reports of Hurricane Katrainas Impact on New Orleans started to roll in.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:28:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Good luck to all of you guys... I experienced Andrew and let me tell you, it was fucked up experience to say the least.  If you don't need to stay home, THEN DON'T!!!  Secure your home, pack up what ever valuable items that you can and leave.  Katrina has a lower pressure than Andrew did and still has some extremely warm water to go over so I doubt she's going to weaken much.

Stay safe.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:44:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Good luck to everyone in the path, I'm going to go hunker down now.  Guys in N.O. and south of it, I hope you're not still reading arfcom, but good luck anyways.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:50:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Good luck guys.

Any idea where it will go in the next day or two? they kept moving the perdiction west, but now it is slowly moving back east again. How far do you think it will go?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:40:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Jim Cantore has not left Biloxi in 2 days.  So that's where it will be worst.  And if you look at the curl in the map, and where the NE quadrant of the storm will be........  Someone needs to tell Jim to find another career.  

Either way, it's got hurricane force winds 85 miles out from the center.  This is gonna lay waste to a lot of the Gulf Coast.  Camille didn't have pressure this low, and there's still time before landfall....

This is gonna be interesting!

Woody
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:51:10 AM EDT
[#21]
holy crap are you following this guys????  sustained winds of 180 gust to 220.  JEEBUZ!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:55:36 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm prayin for you guys.

When it hit us I lost power for 5 hours when it was only Cat1, not good
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:13:15 AM EDT
[#23]
You lucky girls.  When Katrina was just a little tropical storm, LT came running back to Dallas.  And is now cowering in my bathroom tub, with a matress over his head.

His office has been relocated to Shreveport.  

Also, since he does not want to be the only one without arfcom, he asked me to log in as him and lock random accounts of people in LA.  Hope you don't mind.

Good luck to all you guys,  stay safe, and get out of New Orleans.

TXL
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:27:17 AM EDT
[#24]
good luck  yall,,,and stay  safe out there!

any you guys run  down this way to get away  ill buy the beers!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:59:04 AM EDT
[#25]
good luck everyone.  be prepared for some crazy shit.  after having gone through ivan and dennis, i dont even want to know what katrina will be like.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:14:07 AM EDT
[#26]
I have a cousin in NOLA and I've just heard that she & her family have gotten out to BR.  They pretty well know that their home will be no more.  

Rick  
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:19:17 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:    i dont even want to know what katrina will be like.

They are already saying that she'll be worse than Andrew.  One forecast said a possible 60K could be killed in the NO area if they don't get out or get into a proper shelter.  Will the Dome withstand this storm?

Another forecast said that we could have winds of 80mph here in N. Alabama.  

Rick
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:26:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Even if it keeps on its current track, they are saying 100+ mph winds as far east as downtown Mobile.  This is gonna be interesting, to say the least.  I will be running disaster recovery for T-Mobile in Alabama, Mississippi, and possibly Louisiana (different "market" in the company).  Any of y'all need anything or anything checked on, give me a call.  I will most likely be able to get into areas that even residents cannot, but I can't get too far away from where I am supposed to be working.  I will do my best to do some recon for you, if you need.  I will have my cell (hopefully it will be working, but if not, it will be my job to get it working).  My 24/7 number is 1029-902-152.  Okay, that looks weird, but it's because I put it in BACKWARDS.  I don't want the thread spiders spitting my number all over the place.  So just start at the right and work to the left (251- etc., etc., etc.)

Woody
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:27:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Michael, you gonna be at the Infirmary?

Woody
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:56:42 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Michael, you gonna be at the Infirmary?

Woody

Yes.  Depending on how strong the winds are, my plan is to go in early tomorrow morning.  I really don't want to stay there over night tonight.  Right now it's not raining and the wind is pretty calm.

I've got the house boarded up and some extra water stored.  Now I'm just watching the weather reports.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:21:21 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

They are already saying that she'll be worse than Andrew.  One forecast said a possible 60K could be killed in the NO area if they don't get out or get into a proper shelter.  Will the Dome withstand this storm?

Rick

I believe only a serious earthquake could bring down the dome.  The problem is that if flood waters get to 20-30 feet, people won't be leaving the dome anytime soon.

To add: things so far in St Tammany parish are pretty quiet.  No worse than a thunderstorm.  We of course haven't seen anything near the full force of this storm yet.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:24:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Praying for you folks, survived two here inland in FL last year. They were nothing like Katrina.

Advice:

6500W or better generator, small 110V window air conditioner, as many gas cans as you can afford, good quality chainsaw, big cooler.

Lots of patience!!!!!!!! You have no idea what you are in for. When Katrina crossed FL this week and my wife saw the power crews heading south, she just burst into tears.  Your nerves will be shot and your temper short by the end of the week. Help your neighbors and those who can't help themselves, it may not be your job but make it your job.

Fuel will be in short supply even in areas away from the storm and you'll be a week or more without power. Be patient with the power crews, give them the right of way, offer them thanks and encouragement, food & water if you're in that kind of biz, support them any way that your can. They will be busting their asses for you day & night, sleeping in their trucks, many will be from other parts of the country miles and weeks away from their families. Thank them, let them know anyway you can.

Stay vigilant, the wolves will be feeding on the sheep if you know what I mean.

Our prayers are with you.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:49:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Roger that CS223!

COULDN'T A SAID IT ANY BETTER.

GODSPEED FELLAS (keep an eye on your critters too!)

---Woody---
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:57:42 PM EDT
[#34]
HAng in there guys.....Hope it isn't to bad for YA ALL
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:51:46 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rick

I believe only a serious earthquake could bring down the dome.  The problem is that if flood waters get to 20-30 feet, people won't be leaving the dome anytime soon.

To add: things so far in St Tammany parish are pretty quiet.  No worse than a thunderstorm.  We of course haven't seen anything near the full force of this storm yet.

How is Mandeville?
Flooding, wind damage etc.?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:07:32 PM EDT
[#36]
We made it with no problem.  We have power, but there are a lot of power outages all around us.  I would be willing to bet that the actual number of outages is twice what the official count.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:30:15 AM EDT
[#37]
I thoguhts and preyers are with you all in this time.. i understand that the damnage could have been much worse..

Be with eatch other in this time of need

Love and Respect to you all

Jess
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:27:58 AM EDT
[#38]

Do you guys know if the River Ridge area of New Orleans was flooded or what the status is there.  I have someone I'm trying to locate.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:08:53 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Do you guys know if the River Ridge area of New Orleans was flooded or what the status is there.  I have someone I'm trying to locate.

Thanks.

I don't know that area of new orleans. Fox news reports 80% of new orleans flooded.Its going to be hard to reach anyone in that area for some time probably. Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:09:58 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.

I don't know that area of new orleans. Fox news reports 80% of new orleans flooded.Its going to be hard to reach anyone in that area for some time probably. Good luck.

From what I can gather from people who are talking to people over in the NO area, it's going to be a long time coming for them.  Supposedly (and you need to take this with a grain of salt) they are going to have to completely rebuild power grids.  The pumps went offline, so the only way water is going out is when it flows over the levy like it did on the way in.  After that?  I don't know.  The Red Cross may be able to help you if you call their 800-GET-INFO line.  Best of luck to you!

Woody
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top