Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2005 12:15:09 PM EDT
Hi all,

I am looking to see if anyone knows of a place in Baton Rouge, or nearby, where you can buy small pieces of steel, stainless, etc.  I know of some of the bigger places such as Brecheen's, but they usually require you to buy a 20 foot piece of something.  I am almost always looking for some small piece of steel, stainless, alum, etc., but never in the quantity required by the bigger companies.

I could order online from places like McMaster Carr, but that adds the shipping and handling.  It would be nice to find someplace local.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:46:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I work over at Capitol Steel.  If you come by here, check in at the structural sales office and ask them if you can raid their scrap bin.  Sometimes (depending on who you ask and what mood they're in) you may get it for free.  They may only charge you scrap prices for it which is way cheaper.  We only handle regular steel here (and I work in the rebar office.)

If you're hunting for aluminum or stainless there's a few places that fabricate steel here in town who may let you raid their scrap pile for litlte or nothing.  Four Star is a fabricator and their owner is a good fellow but I don't know if they fool with the aluminum or stainless.  Specialty Metals is a supply house for that stuff but I don't know if they have any scrap or not.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:59:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.  Could you IM me your contact info?  If I have that, at least I could stop by and say hi.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:30:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Depending on what you want, Lowe's and Home Depot have piping and small pieces of plate. However I would take up LA Confederate on his offer.

Hey LA... Is there any place around Baton Rouge that does chrome plating? Got a few pieces on my motorcyucle that could use replating. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:32:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Deleted because I was too dumb to realize I hit the button twice.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:15:23 AM EDT
[#5]
huggy, there's a few places here in town.  One of them is called Scenic Perfection Bumper & Chrome Co up on Scenic Hwy.  I haven't dealt with them though.  There's another place that I sent someone to but I can't remember the name of it, but it's also on Scenic Hwy. somewhere around Airline Hwy.  This may be the same place, but I don't know.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:53:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Huggybro,

Occasionally some of the parts from Lowe's/Home Depot are sufficient, but quite frequently I find that the parts they have are not sized right.

Also, they're not in BR, but for the chroming you could try Electroless Nickel Plating of LA in Hammond  ( www.enla.com ).

LA Confederate,

Thanks for the IM info.  I sent a response with an additional question.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:52:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the chroming info. Got a couple of pieces on my motorcycle I would like to get plated and there is nothing around Lafayette.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top