Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2005 6:34:22 AM EDT
Ok, I finally got it! I have a Sig p226 9mm and have not yet bought any kind of holster.

Any advice from those who carry re: ammo, holsters, belts, protocol, etc?

TIA - turbok
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:48:23 AM EDT
[#1]
you're a little late, aren't you?  

I am by no means an expert, but I'll give you what I have learned from my experiences CCW'ing.  I tried out many different CCW methods and they all have their pros and cons.  Here is the order I tried them in:  (all with a Makarov unless noted otherwise)

1.  Inside the waistband (IWB) - this method seemed to offer the greatest concealment, but it was uncomfortable for my (somewhat) slender frame when sitting in the car or somewhere.  I know you are skinny so you may have the same issue.  But honestly, this is probably the most practical and best all-around method.

2.  ankle holster - this method put the weapon in the most "out of the way" position, but you are limited to wearing pants (obviously) with this method, and pants that are long enough so it doesn't stick out when kneeling or sitting.  I also feel lopsided when I walk since there is that weight on just one leg.  However, for occasions when I might have to dress up, this is the prefered method as IWB is not applicable with a tucked in shirt/tie combo.

3.  elastic bellyband - this is my favorite method because it is most comfortable and works with my medium-framed XD and revolver as well as my Makarov.  It tucks the weapon securely away under my arm(s) and even has a spare mag holder.  It is less practical when wearing a shirt that is tucked in for obvious access reasons, and it might be a little more obvious than the other methods unless you use a loose enough shirt.

honorable mention:
4. outside the waistband (OWB) - I have a couple of OWB holsters but due to size are really only applicable for open carry, so I haven't ever really CCW'ed them.  Although I may come this winter when jackets are back.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:20:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Better late than never rule applies here! I appreciate your response - what kind of IWB did you try? I wear a tucked in shirt at work too, and was thinking about a tuckable style...

What kind of ammo are you using with your XD?

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:25:14 AM EDT
[#3]

Actually, oddly enough I found the IWB holster hidden in the basement of my house about two months after I bought it, along with some .38spl wad-cutters.  (no .38 though )  It looks just like this except with a clip instead of belt loops:

The ankle holster was handmade by a guy on here out of Georgia.  And the bellyband is made by Mike's (I think).

I run primarily Blazer CCI ($3/50 at Academy - w00t!) and white box Winchester hollow points. (9mm)

Congrats on the new piece, BTW!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:53:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:20:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Beer_Slayer, which one do you recommend? Which belt to go with?

Is a paddle holster good to have just in case I make a late night run to the store or something? if so, which one?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:41:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I like Galco.  They are high quality and not too expensive.  They produce a large variety of holsters.  I use a Galco Concealable belt holster, belt and magazine carrier.

If you decide to go with a belt holster, use a high quality belt that is designed to support a gun holster.  It will make drawing and holstering your weapon much easier and safer.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:56:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Turbok,

Cruise around the forums and you will find the vast majority of folks carry IWB. There is no perfect method to carry as each have their drawbacks. I have found that IWB is the most practical for most situations unless you are going to be sitting most of the time.

I also decided to buy a "mouse" gun for those times when IWB is not concealed well enough. I started with a Kel-Tec P32. I just can't trust my life to a caliber that small.

Next I went with a Kahr PM9. You get a 9 mm that will fit in your pocket and is lightweight. They are expensive but well-built and worth the money. I would consider something like this down the road (a S and W scandium, a Kahr, etc.).

Spend the extra money to get a high quality holster and gun belt from the beginning. Many of us, especially me, have a vox of holsters hidden somewhere because we tried to skimp and ended up with crap. I have tried the pager pal, a Kydex IWB, etc. Some people have been satisfied with the cheaper products, but I have not. Get a Milt Sparks rig (I have a VersaMax II and love it) or a Don Hume or Galco rig. My Milt Sparks set-up was worth every penny and it is high quality craftsmanship.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:05:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I appreciate everyone's advice. I have been lurking around the Handgun forums and sigforum.com and I think I will save my money up and invest in a good rig. I am just impatient!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top