Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2005 7:50:58 AM EDT
Gov. Bob Riley is the clear choice among Republican leaders for re-election over former Chief Justice Roy Moore, a Birmingham News survey shows.

Seventy-two percent of 160 Republican Executive Committee members who responded supported Riley; 21 percent supported Moore. The remainder either were undecided or said a Riley-Moore matchup would amount to no choice at all.

A few expressed a preference for Public Service Commissioner George Wallace Jr., who plans to seek the GOP lieutenant gubernatorial nomination
Forty-four percent of the 364 sitting committee members responded to the survey. The committee is made up of elected officials and local party leaders and activists.

While neither Riley nor Moore have officially declared they will run in 2006, many GOP officials expect the two to face each other in the June 6 Republican gubernatorial primary.

University of Alabama political scientist William Stewart said the survey results show Riley appears to have regained a lot of ground he lost with the GOP establishment since his ill-fated Amendment One tax proposal in 2003. But Stewart said Moore's ability to attract voters who normally don't cast ballots in a Republican primary should make him a strong candidate.

"It is important to note the (survey) findings, but they wouldn't be a guarantee of how the primary would come out," Stewart said.

The survey asked the committee members how they would vote if "the gubernatorial primary election were held today, and your choices were between Gov. Bob Riley and former Chief Justice Roy Moore." They also were asked to explain their choice. Many of those who responded expressed strong feelings about Riley and Moore.

Of the 115 members who said they supported Riley, nearly half praised the governor while criticizing Moore, or they focused solely on why Moore should not be governor. To his supporters, Riley's assets include running a scandal-free administration, giving the state a good image and doing well with industrial recruitment, being a good steward of tax dollars or doing his best despite a Legislature controlled by Democrats and responsive to the Alabama Education Association.

The criticisms of Moore targeted the former chief justice's removal from office in 2003 after refusing to obey a federal court order to remove a Ten Commandments monument he had placed in the state judicial building. Some called him an extremist who would waste time fighting for his issue instead of addressing more pressing state problems, and one even vowed to leave the state if Moore were elected governor.

"Gov. Riley has done a good job overall," wrote Wayne Walker of Cullman. "I would hate to see everything he has accomplished destroyed by Mr. Moore, and it would be."

Wrote state Rep. Jeanette Greene of Saraland: "Gov. Riley has kept his promise to scale back government in Montgomery ... He said he would not raise taxes without a vote of the people, and he has not done so ... While Judge Moore appears to be a fine, ethical man with strong convictions, he has not shown the kind of leadership needed to lead us out of the financial crisis our state has faced for years. Nor has he shown a willingness to work within the laws of our state."

Added committee member Susan Haigler of Fort Deposit: "We do not want a governor that does not follow the law."

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:57:52 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
... Seventy-two percent of 160 Republican Executive Committee members who responded supported Riley; 21 percent supported Moore. The remainder either were undecided or said a Riley-Moore matchup would amount to no choice at all...

Don't read a lot into this, i.e. don't expect a poll of State GOP Executive Committee members to even remotely indicate what the voting public would do.  (I used to serve on this committee - trust me, it ain't exactly a "random sampling" of Alabama voters. )

I strongly suspect that Moore still holds a slight edge among Republican voters statewide (as he did in earlier random statewide polls), to say nothing of any crossover votes he likely would receive from some Christian Democrats in a general election.  I may be wrong, but I'd be surprised.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:03:34 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
... Seventy-two percent of 160 Republican Executive Committee members who responded supported Riley; 21 percent supported Moore. The remainder either were undecided or said a Riley-Moore matchup would amount to no choice at all...

Don't read a lot into this, i.e. don't expect a poll of State GOP Executive Committee members to even remotely indicate what the voting public would do.  (I used to serve on this committee - trust me, it ain't exactly a "random sampling" of Alabama voters. )

I strongly suspect that Moore still holds a slight edge among Republican voters statewide (as he did in earlier random statewide polls), to say nothing of any crossover votes he likely would receive from some Christian Democrats in a general election.  I may be wrong, but I'd be surprised.

I saw the article, thought of you and wanted your take on it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:32:37 AM EDT
[#3]
If Moore runs, I think he beats Riley
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:33:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I saw the article, thought of you and wanted your take on it.

Well, the State Executive Committee is mostly (and I know I'm generalizing here) run by old-money fiscal conservatives, not true social/historical/moral conservatives IMHO (or at least that was the majority make-up for the years I served).  To put this "poll" in context, this same committee was very split on the lottery issue (which was, of course, defeated), worked against Roy Moore in his bid for Chief Justice in the primary race (in which they are not supposed to take sides but did nevertheless - one of the main reasons I resigned) and only supported him in the general election (which he won) as minimally as they had to due to his place on the overall ticket.  This is why I said not to read too much into it - they don't like/support Moore & never did.  As little use as I personally have for John Giles, never underestimate the potential election influence of the Christian Coalition in this state - Siegelman & his crew made that same mistake.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:35:15 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If Moore runs, I think he beats Riley

I agree, if only because Riley has disappointed/alienated so many of his former supporters during his first term.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:32:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes he has. I voted for him the 1st time but never again. He lied which is not unusual but he has not shown a lick of intelligence. Plus Patsy is a millstone with her snuck up ways. Time to send them both back to Ashland but I doubt anyone wants them there either based upon the few from there I know.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:31:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Which one will get rid of this damn SBR ban is what I wanna know....

Woody
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:42:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Woody

Neither.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:00:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Woody

Neither.

Then that's who will get my vote.  Unless it looks like a strong Democratic challenger......  Then I guess I'll have to vote for whoever ends up with the nomination.  Damnit.

Woody
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:52:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Woody

Neither.

Then that's who will get my vote.  Unless it looks like a strong Democratic challenger......  Then I guess I'll have to vote for whoever ends up with the nomination.  Damnit.

Woody

I'm not real happy with either.  Heads they win, tails we lose.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:26:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Woody

Moore is an outspoken, unapologetic Second Amendment absolutist (one of the things I admire about him).  I doubt he would have any problem getting rid of our ridiculous state prohibition on items which are already federally-regulated to the hilt...

... BUT...

Unfortunately, it isn't the Governor who can repeal that legislation.  Until we get the dead wood out of the Legislature (mostly Dems, but there are admittedly some on both sides who have long out-stayed their welcome), don't look for that or any other meaningful changes to occur...

Quoted:

Woody

I suspect that the Governor's race will be very tight this time around, both primary and general if all four of the front-runners do run (and right now it looks like they will).  (IOW, please vote. )
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:12:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm voting for Moore all the way because I want to really piss off:

Birmingham News
Southern Poverty Law Center
ACLU
Brady Bunch
Huntsville Times
Mobile Register
Montgomery Advertiser
People Against the American Way
Barry Lynn
National Council of Churches

The list goes on and on.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:50:44 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'm voting for Moore all the way because I want to really piss off:

Birmingham News
Southern Poverty Law Center
ACLU
Brady Bunch
Huntsville Times
Mobile Register
Montgomery Advertiser
People Against the American Way
Barry Lynn
National Council of Churches

The list goes on and on.

When you put it like that....
And you forgot our favorite whipping post..... DU

Woody
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:28:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:19:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Hopefully someone decent will step forward and run. Besides our current list.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:26:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
i hate to say it but right now i have not seen ANYONE on the list i'd feel GOOD about voting for. i am ashamed to say it but i will vote sieglman back in before riley and i will not vote for roy moore.

We atleast have some comfort in the fact that they are almost all progun.

Siegleman has some ethics questions. The feds may get him and have gotten some of his buddies. Riley is dead meat. He won't even carry Ashland from what I hear
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:19:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:38:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
i hate to say it but right now i have not seen ANYONE on the list i'd feel GOOD about voting for. i am ashamed to say it but i will vote sieglman back in before riley and i will not vote for roy moore.

We at least have some comfort in the fact that they are almost all progun.

You & me both brother!  I've said it before & I'll say it again, this state has never done well with a Republican Governor heading up the state, & I assume we never will do well under one.  Want higher taxes & serious problems with the public schools?  The just vote in another Republican.  If y'all recall, I warned everyone about voting for Riley.  "Been Fobbed Again" continues to be our motto it seems.  

Heck I'll vote for Lucy before I would vote for "One Term Bob" or Roy Moore.

Rick (Conservative Democrat) H.  (only problem is that conservative dems are few & far between!)
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:00:47 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
... I've said it before & I'll say it again, this state has never done well with a Republican Governor heading up the state, & I assume we never will do well under one.  Want higher taxes & serious problems with the public schools?  The just vote in another Republican.  If y'all recall, I warned everyone about voting for Riley.  "Been Fobbed Again" continues to be our motto it seems.  

Rick (Conservative Democrat) H.  (only problem is that conservative dems are few & far between!)

You may be willing to lay all the blame for such things on Republican Governor(s) and ignore the far-too-long-Democrat-controlled Legislature but, with all due respect, I am not.
(And, for the record, Fob James is not now nor ever was a true "Republican" - he switched to get elected like far too many others in the state have done.  Alabama RINOs abound these days. )

I'd say danged-near extinct.

ETA:  If we had true conservative Southern Democrats (like you  and many good Alabama Dems of days gone by) in the State House instead of the useless lumps we now have, we wouldn't be in the mess we are in IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:39:35 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
... I've said it before & I'll say it again, this state has never done well with a Republican Governor heading up the state, & I assume we never will do well under one.  Want higher taxes & serious problems with the public schools?  The just vote in another Republican.  If y'all recall, I warned everyone about voting for Riley.  "Been Fobbed Again" continues to be our motto it seems.  

You may be willing to lay all the blame for such things on Republican Governor(s) and ignore the far-too-long-Democrat-controlled Legislature but, with all due respect, I am not.
(And, for the record, Fob James is not now nor ever was a true "Republican" - he switched to get elected like far too many others in the state have done.  Alabama RINOs abound these days. )

ETA:  If we had true conservative Southern Democrats (like you  and many good Alabama Dems of days gone by) in the State House instead of the useless lumps we now have, we wouldn't be in the mess we are in IMHO.

The State Legislature is the area that needs a house cleaning. Nothing will ever get done with the dems in control. The black caucaus needs to be booted out first.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:21:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've said time & time again, I did not leave the Democratic Party, it left me!  I wish it was possible to vote a straight dem ticket but alas, I haven't been able to do that since Carter and look at what that got us!   I used to be a "Yellow Dog Democrat"  and I'm almost ashame to admit it.  I voted for Siegelman the last go-around which I considered to be the lesser of several evils.  For President, I have voted Republican in  the last several elections.

I predict that a Democrat will probably be elected to office for Governor & for President in the coming elections.  GW is just plain ruining it for the Pubs with his war in Iraq & most recently the CAFTA fisaco.

OH, you're 100% correct about Fob but he was just a Democrat when that was what he had to be to get elected.  He was a Republican at heart all along!  At least, that's my most humble opinion.  

Rick

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:29:32 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I've said time & time again, I did not leave the Democratic Party, it left me!...

You & Zell Miller.  IMO we need more like both of you, but as far to the left as your party in general has shifted, I just don't see that happening.

We'll just have to respectfully disagree about Fob's true nature, since neither of wants to claim him. (I don't get to "respectfully disagree" with many Democrats anymore - it's kind of refreshing! )
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:44:23 AM EDT
[#23]
There were two kinds of Democrats back in the day. Real Democrats and Republicans wrapped in a democrat cape. The real elections were the democrat primaries.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top