Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/23/2005 6:59:02 AM EDT
Okay, lets try this again.  Seems on the last one we had just a many from Lafayette as BR respond as interested.  So Sherborne seems to be a good location midway between both, and its FREE.  The date will be on Sat Aug 13th.  Anyone interested, IM me or respond here I will be checking it frequently.

The only thing to decide on is the time.  Last time, we met at 3:00 in the afternoon.  It worked out good, and its going to be hot no matter what.  But chime in with your time preference (morning, afternoon) and we will go with what is best for the majority.

For those of you that didnt make the first, I hear reports of the Swedish bikini team being there again, but it may just be rumers that I heard.  Show up and find out for yourself.

If you want to BBQ, as was discussed for the last, make that known too so we can work that out.
There seems to be a good space available if we chose to do that.  It may be better to get a good showing at one of these before we make it more complicated.

I will post directions to and instructions for the range as time draws near.  

To date (08/10/05) I have the following responses:

NO..................A_free_man
YES.................BigAL
YES.............Thebaldavenger
NO..................CalvaryJim
UNLIKELY......SkiandShoot
YES.................CajunMojo
NO..................Soldierforhire
YES.................Szurgot
MAYBE............Zack3g
YES..................LA_confederate
LIKELY............Pulpsmack
MAYBE.............Huggybro
MAYBE.............GlockGuru
LIKELY.............Tootall
YES...................BuckMaw
NO....................ProfessorChaos

LA_confederate may be some friends along too
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 12:51:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm going if I'm not offshore. Probably will not be able to make it though. Put me on the list as a maybe.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 12:57:04 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm going if I'm not offshore. Probably will not be able to make it though. Put me on the list as a maybe.

Get a magnified scope, and you can join us no matter where you are.  I recommend this one  

Link Posted: 7/23/2005 3:51:22 PM EDT
[#3]
As far as i can tell, I'll be there.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 5:15:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Since my original post on this, my schedule has slightly changed. If we decided on the 6th, I would only be able to make it shooting up to the hour of about 2:00 pm.  So maybe a morning approach for me.  We wouldnt  have to meet too early.  I know cajunmojo is not a early riser, and some others would have a good drive to attend. Or we could settle on the 13th, It sure would suck not to go the shoot I was organizing though.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 5:37:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get a magnified scope, and you can join us no matter where you are.  I recommend this one  

img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/rjszurgot/bigscope2.jpg

I don't think my m4gery will support the weight of that thing. Unless I mount it on a tripod and hm.....ideas ideas. Problem would be getting it offshore...they dont like guns offshore :/
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 8:19:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Since my original post on this, my schedule has slightly changed. If we decided on the 6th, I would only be able to make it shooting up to the hour of about 2:00 pm.  So maybe a morning approach for me.  We wouldnt  have to meet too early.  I know cajunmojo is not a early riser, and some others would have a good drive to attend. Or we could settle on the 13th, It sure would suck not to go the shoot I was organizing though.

Its not looking very organized yet. the 13th would be fine by me too, whatever day gets more participants. As for the original title, I doubt anyone will drive from Shreveport. Maybe change to BR/Lafayette/Alexandria area, Sherburne is pretty central to these areas.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 9:08:11 AM EDT
[#7]
CajunMojo, no bikini team members for you.  You are right though, I wrote shreveport and meant Lafayette.  I will correct that little oversight.  And while I am correcting things, lets just make the date the 13th and then that's one last thing to decide on.  I dont think that will screw anyone that I have heard from so far.

The time is still up in the air.  So make your preference known people.

BTW, you can blame my wife, who I asked several times about the 6th being good, for the change.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 2:47:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Have you had any other replies besides what i see here?
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 3:31:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

SoldierForHire is good to go too.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 4:17:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

GTG for 6th or the 13th?
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 4:36:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

GTG for 6th or the 13th?

Both actually,  I am going to send out another message to everyone to just plan on the 13th.  I hate to be selfish about it, but I have a feeling I would get screwed on the 6th.  I thought that date would work out, but the 13th is better, and the people I have heard from all say: either one would be fine, so lets plan on the 13th.

Now for the time, what ever is decided I will go along with.

I hope to get more accurate replies from people, and with it being a couple weeks off, alot of stuff can come up.  But at least people can plan for it that way.  No way to tell until they actually pull up, but everyone likes to shoot, right?
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 5:09:16 AM EDT
[#12]
The 13th works for me.  I'm going to post a message to some folks that I know up around Alex to see if they want to come out as well.  They aren't all AR owners, most of them have FALs and Garands but Ill see if they want to make the outing as well.

[><]
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 5:09:27 AM EDT
[#13]
I can make the 13th shoot. Dont mind what time, I'll be sweating either way.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 7:46:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Will be out of town that weekend...maybe next time.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 5:05:04 PM EDT
[#15]
As always, My vote is for late afternoon... 3ish until dark.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 9:45:16 AM EDT
[#16]
added participation list to original post

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 10:27:57 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm currently working out of the country. Will return on Thursday the 11th. Will try and make it if possible.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:40:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I am probably able to make it on the 13 and definitely up for it. I wanted to do some recon there though. When comming from BR where do you  get off on us-190?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:22:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Coming from Baton Rouge, turn off just before the Atchafalaya river bridge. You should see a sign for Sherburne WMA. If you get to Krotz Springs you have gone too far. When you turn off of 190, head south on the levee road for 3 or 4 miles, can't miss it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:30:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks, mojo.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:35:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Okay maggots, listen up.  Looks to be a good turn out for out 2nd outing.  I need everyone to post their preference for time.

I know cajunmojo wants from 3 till dark.  I dont care as long as that afternoon rain we seem to be having lately at that time stays away.  What do the rest of you interested parties want?

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:08:14 AM EDT
[#22]
sorry guys i will be going back offshore 8/10/05 and will be back 8/17/05 if i dont pull a 21 day hitch to pay for my 50cal .hehehehehehehe .bryan
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:26:48 PM EDT
[#23]
I am a noob here, but will try to make it...
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:10:20 AM EDT
[#24]
I wanted to make the point that everyone is welcome to this gathering, and that AK's, FAL's, etc are welcome as well.  Just bring lots of ammo, sunscreen, and something to keep hydrated.  

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:42:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Don't matter to me as far as a time goes.  I should be free for the most part.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:26:24 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Just bring lots of ammo, sunscreen, and something to keep hydrated.

For those of you who have not been up here (I made my debut last week) you'll need a good deal more than this (at least if/when going up there yourself)

Things to bring when you go at it alone:

- Targets
- Staple gun, thumbtacks, tape, or other target mount (they don't have clip-on backings there)
- Bench rest
- Binoculars, spotting scope, or optic to chart progress
- Target backing***  (More detail below, but I suggest you invest if you have a long drive)

Things to bring for the get-together

- Canvas/nylon folding chair if you have one (they are short on chairs)
- Cooler with your poison (beer needs to stay in the car)
- Targets & something to mount (but with all we have potentially going, someone would prob help out)
- Target backing*** (plywood board and stakes)

About the target backing....

The WMA uses sheets of plywood nailed to a pair of stakes for target backing. Their intended setup was six positions, 2 at 100 yards, 2 at 50, 2 at 25 (only one of the 50s was totalled). I have not been before last week so I don't know how prompt they are with backing replacement, but the rifle range was trashed. The pistol range on the other hand was clean with fresh backings. As it stands a get-together in excess of 8-12 will probably have alot of people standing around doing nothing. If one or two people bring a plywood board or two and stakes it could help significantly regarding those who shoot vs those who stand, especially if they haven't repaired/repalced in the next few days (or worse, another backing is FUBAR taking the number down to 4 instead of 6).
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:27:50 AM EDT
[#27]
pulpsmack, any idea on the size needed.  I have some new home construction near me I could "borrow" a scrap sheet of plywood. I'd bring it back of course
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:14:07 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't know how prompt they are, but there are usually fresh targetboards every now and then. As for target positions.. you can move those backings around. I was in the process of printing out targets as i came to read this (8.5x11) not much good past 50 yards w/ open sights. Pretty sure i have a fresh box of staples in the range bag. I take it we're not barbecueing or anything??

eta: for that area
Isolated T-Storms High
93°F
Low
73°F

Precip:   30%

Slight chance of a thunderstorm. Highs in the low 90s and lows in the low 70s.

I can handle a little rain.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#29]
If I had to guess what they were using, I'd say the boards were 1.5-2 feet high, by 3-4 feet wide, which would accomodate side-by-side shooters (If possible) or multiple targets for one shooter (eliminating multiple trips downrange).

Rain isn't the worst because the shooter's pavillion is covered, and styrofoam plates marked w sharpie make excellent waterproof targets.

My biggest concern would be that 8 or more of us turn up at the same time that 3-4 others are there, effectively cutting range positions by 1/2. That, and parking could get a little dicey (depending upon their enforcement thereof).

EDIT: based upon the shitty housekeeping (when I went) and the possible number of folk/rounds there, a pushbroom & dustpan would be great if someone could bring with. They had plenty of trash cans, but no means to sweep brass available.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:56:22 PM EDT
[#30]
I wouldnt worry too much about a wait.  You have to let your barrel cool down, get a drink, take a piss, etc.  This is as much about meeting some people too, so some could talk and laugh at the others poor shooting skills.

And we will need volunteers to rub lotion on the swedish bikini team, eh cajunmojo!

I'll try to snag a board in case we need it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:00:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Apparently it would be my poor shooting skills everybody will be laughing at. (wish I was kidding )

If you could snag some posts to use as stakes it would be capital. Otherwise we'll make due.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:07:30 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Apparently it would be my poor shooting skills everybody will be laughing at. (wish I was kidding )

If you could snag some posts to use as stakes it would be capital. Otherwise we'll make due.

I'll see if I can borrow some of those too.

Mojo, if you or anyone wants to BBQ speak up now and we'll see who is interested.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:50:35 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll see if I can borrow some of those too.

Mojo, if you or anyone wants to BBQ speak up now and we'll see who is interested.

Don't matter to me, as long as i get to shoot. If that's what the masses want that's fine, but i can take it or leave it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:36:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Doesn't matter to me what time we go.

I have some clay pigeons I can set on the berm if they will let me. They leave a mess but are bio-degradeable. I'll also print out some 8.5x11 targets and bring a stapler. Is this the kind of range where people will get angry if I shoot fast?

Also, I still need to get that LA Wildlife card. I guess I can do that at Academy or Wally World right?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:50:20 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Doesn't matter to me what time we go.

I have some clay pigeons I can set on the berm if they will let me. They leave a mess but are bio-degradeable. I'll also print out some 8.5x11 targets and bring a stapler. Is this the kind of range where people will get angry if I shoot fast?

Also, I still need to get that LA Wildlife card. I guess I can do that at Academy or Wally World right?

I dont know about the clay pigeons either way, so bring em and we'll see.  I have some makeshift targets I may bring as well in case the boards are too bad.  I got my wildlife card at walmart.  I think they frown on bump firing (when the range official is there) but other than that I think its okay.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:53:22 PM EDT
[#36]
clay pigeons are ok there. bumpfiring isn't.  La wild card can be purhased anywhere that liscenses are sold, wallyworld etc.  I don't think they actually check for it. As for the range official, i think the guy actually lives there in a camper or something, but doesn't usually go to the range unless he hears something that pisses him off or to cut the grass, change the targets boards etc. They don't want you to shoot at things on the ground, but clay pigeons on the berm are ok AFAIK.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:20:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Sounds good. Maybe I'll pick up an extra box of clay pigeons while I'm at wally world.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:11:06 AM EDT
[#38]

Regarding this Saturdays shoot, has a time to gather been established yet?

thebaldavenger

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:14:25 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Regarding this Saturdays shoot, has a time to gather been established yet?

thebaldavenger

That is what the participants should be doing at this point.  Posting their preference.  As of now, looks like 3:00 till they kick us out.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:02:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Ron,

3:00pm is ok by me.

Jim
thebaldavenger
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:33:29 AM EDT
[#41]
I didn't add a time because I was/am not able to commit 100% on this. If it is of any consequence you can change my status to "likely", and anytime works for me (provided I can go) so if the consensus is 3 pm, that would work fine.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:37:06 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I didn't add a time because I was/am not able to commit 100% on this. If it is of any consequence you can change my status to "likely", and anytime works for me (provided I can go) so if the consensus is 3 pm, that would work fine.

Did it, you are now "LIKELY".
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:17:58 PM EDT
[#43]
6 yes
2 likely
3 maybe
4 no
1 unlikely

All and all a pretty good score. Nice going so far Ron.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:50:45 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
6 yes
2 likely
3 maybe
4 no
1 unlikely

All and all a pretty good score. Nice going so far Ron.

I had the same response last time, and who actually showed up.  You, me, and the bikini team.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:35:11 AM EDT
[#45]
I may be bringing a buddy also.  He has a few pistols but doesn't own any rifles. I'll let him shoot my AK if he can stand the trigger slap
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:15:21 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I may be bringing a buddy also.  He has a few pistols but doesn't own any rifles. I'll let him shoot my AK if he can stand the trigger slap

Bring your AK even if he doesnt come.  I want to see if I can get a full mag out without giving my finger a break from the " bitch slap ".
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:53:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Okay, I am making the official call to say this will take place at 3:00 pm central time on Saturaday August 13th at Sherborne wma.  If this is no good for you, you have 5 days to speak up and didnt, sorry for you.

I have had some request for directions, so here goes.  From Lafayette I have no clue,  Cajunmojo or someone else handle that one.  

From Baton Rouge:  Last time I took hwy 190 all the way from BR, It was a long boring ride this way with lots of construction but not much traffic.  This time I am going to take I-10 west as far as I can before heading north on 77, I believe this is at ext 139.  77 should take you through a few small towns before hitting hwy 190.  Turn left (west) and head towards Krotz springs.  Right before you cross the Atchafalay river (do not cross bridge) get onto 975 which is a gravel road.  You will be going south from 190 on this road for a couple miles. (seems like more) This will lead you right to the range.  sign in if you want at the board.  The rifle range is towards the back, past the shotgun and pistol ranges.  Just listen for all the loud gunfire and follow it.

I would like to mention, I have not personally gone this route.  It should work, but if it doesnt dont say I didnt warn you.  Go to mapquest and make your own mind up.

Please speak up if anyone has a better way to come, I dont want to get a bunch of people with guns pissed off because they got lost.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:11:43 PM EDT
[#48]
From Lafayette:

Head north on hwy 49 through opelousas, take a right on 190 head east past Krotz Springs. Go over Atchafalaya Bridge, take first right. Head south on the levee road (975) 3 or 4 miles. Range is on the left, can't miss it. See ya'll there.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:16:18 AM EDT
[#49]
If anyone has a digital camera, go ahead a bring it so we can take some pictures to post for the viewing pleasure of those unfortunate souls who were not able to join us.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:21:24 AM EDT
[#50]
I've got a digi cam that stays in my truck that I we can use to take some pics.

Coming from BR, if you take I-10 all the way to the Whiskey Bay exit (the one right before the tall bridge and the first exit past Maringouin after you get onto the long bridge), this is the gravel road that runs through the WMA all the way to 190.  That's the route I'm going to follow.  It's kinda slow going and you don't see much other than the levee on one side and the woods on the other.

[><]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top