Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2005 1:43:25 PM EDT
Well, I'm going to the hospital this evening after work to do an overnight sleep study.  My docs think I am a textbook "obstructive sleep apnea" case & want to verify it so they can treat it - I'll probably end up with a CPAP.

I have snored like a freight train (or three) for as long as I can remember, but in recent years my wife has told me (1) it's getting much louder & (2) now I periodically stop breathing durng the night for brief periods.   I do know that I never seem to feel rested, regardles of how much sleep I get, and I fit the profile in a lot of ways.  I put this off for a long time, but I know about the possible long-term affects and finally relented.

Any of y'all been this route?  (Probably lots of you - I realize this is very common.)
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 2:14:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you smoke, drink or are overweight?  I'd try fixing those before heading to a doc.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 2:29:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Do you smoke, drink or are overweight?  I'd try fixing those before heading to a doc.

No (never), no (never), and yes - but I've already lost 40 pounds (about halfway back to my "target weight") in the past few months and it hasn't alleviated any of the symptoms in the least (I really thought it might).
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 2:49:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Been there, done that.  I now have a CPAP machine and use it every night.  I'm much more rested and I swear I think clearer now.  When I woke up after the first night, I went in where the screen was showing my sleep disruptions.  The sleep center lady said "here's one, here's one, and here's one" pointing to 3 obvious changes in the trace on the screen.  I figured that wasn't too bad, but just to make sure, I asked what time frame was shown on the screen.  When she said 120 SECONDS, my jaw dropped.  It sure explained a lot.

Woody
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 2:54:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Been there, done that.  I now have a CPAP machine and use it every night.  I'm much more rested and I swear I think clearer now...

Thanks - that's what everyone I know who uses one tells me...
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 4:07:23 PM EDT
[#5]
My X has it and the machine. She's still a bitch.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 4:08:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 4:31:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I am the Technical Director of a  Sleep Disorders Center, and have been in the field for about 15 years.

IM if you have any questions.

Reg
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 7:09:44 PM EDT
[#8]

My dad has it badly.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 11:26:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I slept pretty well last night in spite of all the wires... or so I thought.

The nurse wouldn't give me a number - just made a funny face and said I stopped breathing "a lot."  I'll be doing the whole thing again in a couple of weeks with a CPAP so they can measure the difference/effect.  Looks like I've probably been needing it for a while...
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 11:29:46 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I am the Technical Director of a  Sleep Disorders Center, and have been in the field for about 15 years.

IM if you have any questions.

Reg

That's very generous - I will.  Thanks!  
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 11:26:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I tried the CPAP machine, and I could not sleep with it, I had the surgery, VERY painful, tonsils, adnoids, and worse of all I lost my uvula.  All this still did not completely solve the problem, but it did make a marked improvement.  Good luck with that machine (my main complaint was trying to turn over while sleeping, just couldnt do it without waking up so much that I could not get back to sleep).
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 5:56:30 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I tried the CPAP machine, and I could not sleep with it, I had the surgery, VERY painful, tonsils, adnoids, and worse of all I lost my uvula.  All this still did not completely solve the problem, but it did make a marked improvement.  Good luck with that machine (my main complaint was trying to turn over while sleeping, just couldnt do it without waking up so much that I could not get back to sleep).

I don't think I'll have trouble sleeping with the machine - I sleep best on my back.  Before I was married, I slept on my back and hardly moved at all through the night.  But my wife won't let me sleep on my back because that's when I snore the loudest. If I roll over on my back during the night, she pokes me in the ribs until I roll onto one side or the other. The night of the sleep study - with all of those wires coming off of me - I slept on my back all night and didn't move.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 2:00:48 PM EDT
[#13]
It'll change your life my friend. No, I don't have OSA. I'm a doctor, and I have seen the transformation many times.

As for surgery....The UP3 described above has about a 30% success rate overall. The other procedure has a higher succes rate, but is much more involved.

And congrats on the weight loss. Although weight management may not be a cure, it WILL pay off in the long run.

(Sorry about the late post, out of state last week)
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:32:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The results of letting it go on is worse then using the machine.  My husband retained so much water that he almost drowned in his own fluids.  He was trying to do a form of cpr on himself when I made him get up and walk across the street to the hospital. (he didn't want me to call the EMTS)  He spent 2 days in ICU.

Your not breathing is also affecting your spouse if you have one. Because she is listening for your breathing. I never realised how tired I was until I had a few nights with out him in bed next to me.

Tat you sick bastard, I knew they allowed you to marry your first cousin down there but same sex marriages as well? And they say wisconsin is liberal....other than that how are things?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:52:59 PM EDT
[#15]
IM inbound
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:08:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Well, last night I went back in for my second sleep study - this time with a CPAP machine.  I didn't have any problems with the apparatus and actually slept quite well.  

One of the things they gave me (along with a copy of my prescription for my CPAP) was the report from my first sleep study (with no CPAP, to esptablish a baseline).  Those of you in the field can probably take one look at this and understand more about how bad (or not) my problem is/was than I do after studying it.  I do gather that I've got a pretty bad case of sleep apnea:

Anyway, I left today with a "C-FLEX" CPAP machine with a heated humidifier (Rx for 14cm) and a "SWIFT" delivery device (more of a nasal snorkel than a "mask").  I slept with the SWIFT apparatus last night and found it unobtrusive.  They said this was all top-of-the-line equipment.

Any comments/observations/advice from those of you "in the know?"

Thanks to those of you who have e-mailed/IM'd me - appreciate the concern & kind words!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:33:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Just a quick update.  It's been a month + now, and no problems sleeping with the CPAP.  In fact, I am sleeping better than I have in years.  No more time sleeping, just better quality rest - I wake up much more ready to face the day.

And I don't snore anymore!  "Mrs. HardShell" does say she sometimes thinks she's sleeping with Darth Vader (the slight breathing-machine noise), at least until I try to speak - at which point she's convinced she's sleeping with Marvin the Martian (the sound of my voice when wearing the apparatus ).

Either way, I'm glad I finally got tested...
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:26:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Lifechanging.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:00:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Great to hear it's working. It is little weird to be hooked up to a jet turbine at night, but everyone I know who is on one has loved it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:28:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Glad to hear that it's working for you.  My wife makes the comments about Darth Vader too.

Woody
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 3:15:04 PM EDT
[#21]
I did a sleep study and have been diagnosed with "moderate" sleep apnea.  I've been trying to get used to a CPAP for the past 3 weeks, but I'm still sleeping very poorly - I just can't seem to get used to wearing it.  Maybe I need a new mask or something.

Being constantly sleep deprived is no fun.  I have very little energy for any activities and often have trouble thinking clearly (not good for a professional software engineer).

For the record, I'm 5'9" and 150lbs, so being overweight is not a factor.
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 8:52:00 PM EDT
[#22]
kill-9,

What kind of mask and machine do you have?

Woody
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 4:22:40 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
kill-9,

Woody

CPAP: Fisher & Paykel HC221LE (apneatherapy.com/action/products/info/id/119.html)

Mask: Resmed Mirage Swift (apneatherapy.com/action/products/info/id/263.html):

Link Posted: 10/26/2005 5:32:13 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
kill-9,
Woody

CPAP: Fisher & Paykel HC221LE (apneatherapy.com/action/products/info/id/119.html)

apneatherapy.com/t.php?f=263.jpg&d=inventory/22/&w=500&h=500

I'm using the REMSTAR C-Flex w/ Heated Humidifier (HERE), but I have the same mask that you're using.
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 12:02:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Dude,

I've been using a CPAP for about 5 years now.  Before my wife couldn't sleep because I was snoring...now she can't sleep unless she hears the noise of the CPAP, as it is very soothing once Mrs. Spoon got used to it.

Welcome to the "Dark Side"
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 12:03:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Dude,

I've been using a CPAP for about 5 years now.  Before my wife couldn't sleep because I was snoring...now she can't sleep unless she hears the noise of the CPAP, as it is very soothing once Mrs. Spoon got used to it.

Welcome to the "Dark Side"
Link Posted: 10/30/2005 5:41:53 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
kill-9,
Woody

apneatherapy.com/t.php?f=263.jpg&d=inventory/22/&w=500&h=500

I'm using the REMSTAR C-Flex w/ Heated Humidifier (HERE), but I have the same mask that you're using.

What level of C-Flex do you prefer, and which level of heat do you prefer?

Link Posted: 10/31/2005 6:40:09 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
What level of C-Flex do you prefer, and which level of heat do you prefer?

They set all of that at the hospital before I took it home & I haven't had it long enough to need to change anything yet.  It is set at 14cm pressure - I don't know what the heat setting is.  They did say that as I lose more weight the pressure required might diminish, but my weight -loss has slowed considerably since I broke my foot...
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:09:06 AM EDT
[#29]
keep this unarchived for a bit longer
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top