Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2005 3:47:23 PM EDT
I heard I might be transferred there.  What's the city like for housing, shopping, social life, recreation, and shooting?

Your assistance is much obliged....
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 5:05:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Shooting good. Fishing and boating outstanding
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 5:28:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Got kids?  Madison City Schools (NOT Madison County) are the 2nd or 3rd best in the state.  I've got 2 in the system.

Ranges include Blue and Gray out near the Guntersville Dam and Swan Creek between Athens and Decatur.

Very high tech population, one the highest in the nation.  All the big dogs in space and defense have offices and plants here.  I work for a very small aerospace company you've probably never heard of, we design, build and install ICBM missile defense systems and I think we make some airplanes every once in a while someplace else where it rains a lot, at least that's what I've heard.

North Alabama isn't as pretty as Tennessee, but it's pretty close.  Traffic is pretty bad here, out of the 6 or  7 lights I have on the way to work every day, I usually get caught by one maybe 2 every day, the rest are always green when I go through.

You comin' to visit?  If so, 3 words:  Breakfast at Jackson's.

Merlin

ETA:  Alabama is still part of America.
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 6:50:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I came here from Virginia Beach and love it. If you are in the Tidewater area right now or the Beltway area this traffice is nothing!!!! Alot to do and see. The hunting is good but better futher south, fishing is outstanding. If you get outside of Madison County you will have some nice countryside.

We need some more VA people here.

Gary
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 7:07:12 PM EDT
[#4]

A real good place, IMHO
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 7:11:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info.  Virginia is still part of America, too, but I am seeing too many New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and (most recently) New York license plates to suit me in northern VA.  Damn carpetbaggers.

I don't have a wife or kids, but I am sure that the quality of the school system will only improve the value of housing and make for an attractive 'nest' for a suitable lady.

If this transfer does happen as I expect it might, I will be making a scouting trip soon to see the place for myself.  I'll make sure to post notice and buy a round of drinks at happy hour.
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 6:21:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 7:08:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 5:16:49 PM EDT
[#8]
For me its great, but I spend a lot of time outdoors. I live fifteen minutes south of Huntsville and can be on the water in twenty minutes. Nashville is 90 miles to the north, Chattanooga 75 to the east, Gulf Coast six hours to the south.
The Tennessee river is a wide open playground. Miles and miles of undisturbed woods, mountains, and backwaters where I go for hours and never see a person. Guntersville State park is 30 minutes to the east, the Sipsey Wilderness area and Bankhead National Forest one hour to the west. The camping and backpacking  there is all you could ask for. If you don't like the outdoors its still a good place, if you like the outdoors its outstanding. Look me up when you get here.

rk
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 5:21:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I am getting stationed in Montgomery at Maxwell AFB. I am always interested in knowing how good the area is for schools, shooting sports, carry laws, and what ever.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 12:18:00 PM EDT
[#10]
This is funny, my dad is talking about a lot of people in missle defense (where he works) moving to Huntsville in a few years.  Thought I would check it out.  If things go south with my current job (they are outsourcing a lot of development, which I do) then maybe the whole clan will move to Huntsville.

How close can you live to the city and still have a big enough piece of land to shoot on?
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 5:16:40 PM EDT
[#11]
lowdrag82......I'm sorry to hear that.....The Montgomery area is a shithole.....I lived in that are for 28 years......Living in North Alabama for the last five years has spoiled me and I will never go back to Montgomery again....Watch your back and Lock your truck!!!!!!!!!

GhostCat
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 5:40:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Thirty to forty five minutes from Huntsville in all directions still has a lot of open land. Problem is getting permission from landowner or raising the $ to buy it, I know a beautiful place for sale right now, 70 acres at $3000 per, but he won't split it up. It adjoins a wildlife preserve, I see deer and coyotes there regularly. Huntsville is supposed to pick up 1600 jobs at Redstone Arsenal within three years.

rk
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 9:01:09 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I live in Hampton Cove area.......golf course, 20 minutes to our shooting range. Huntsville ain't bad! I love living here!

I live right over the mountain from ya.. Jones Valley Drive area! You pastor one of the churches in the Cove?

Turbok
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 9:03:52 AM EDT
[#14]
RichnCM - Hunstville is a great place to live. I grew up here and, after the obligatory wild oats period, have returned to raise my family. You're 2 hours away from Nashville and Birmingham, there are plenty of lakes and rivers, 5 hours from the beach! I wish there were more ranges around though!

-turbok
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 10:16:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 5:44:57 AM EDT
[#16]
How's weather in the summer- hot & humid?  Gulf influence or is it far enough north that it's not an issue?  Lots of hurricanes/tornadoes?  Thanks for the info again.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 7:05:32 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
How's weather in the summer- hot & humid?  Gulf influence or is it far enough north that it's not an issue?  Lots of hurricanes/tornadoes?  Thanks for the info again.

It is hot and sometimes humid with tornados being more prevalent than hurricanes. July and August are the worst months for heat and humidity. You can ususally keep windows open for about 3 months out of the year.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 5:13:43 PM EDT
[#18]
RichinCM
I was born in Huntsville and have lived here my whole life.
Schools here are pretty good.  I live in South East Huntsville now but grew up on the South West side.  Housing cost are decent here compared to where you are now.  I live about three minutes from Ditto Landing - boat launches and fishing on the Tennessee River.
Swan Creek is where I do most of my plinking - about a 45 minute drive.  Hunting is plentiful around here.  My brother owns about 28 acres outside of New Market - good deer hunting.
Take care and keep us posted.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 5:16:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Born and raised right 'round there.

Lot's of great hunting and fishing, and guns ain't a dirty word.

Sweet Home Alabama, Indeed.

SG

Link Posted: 5/18/2005 5:52:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Damn!   Bunch of decent people live right here in North Alabama that I didn't know about.  

North Alabama is one of the US"s greatest secrets.  YOu won't be disappointed.

Good luck.

Merlin
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:09:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
YES, I pastor Cave Spring Baptist Church in Owens Cross Roads......Come visit if you like.

Is that in Jackson Co. on Co. Rd. 54?  If so I drove past it this week.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:49:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 2:32:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for all the encouragement.  I will probably come by in August on my way to visit my parents in Florida.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top