Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2004 12:18:45 PM EDT
A house committee has approved House Bill 650 which would allow SBR's and shotguns to be owned in Alabama with ATF liscense as SBR, etc. Need to contact your representative to vote to approve when it comes to House floor in a couple of weeks. Passed committee 6-5 with minorities voting against.

If it passes House, needs a Senate sponsor so if anybody has a senator as friend, need help.
Link Posted: 4/10/2004 2:47:07 PM EDT
[#1]
This is a good law for us all. I have been working in my area for some time now in regards to this. Everyone call your senators and reresentatives NOW and talk with them!! Call all of your friends and have them call their senators and reps regarding this bill. This bill will allow all Alabama citizens to own SBR, SBS, if they are registered with the NFA. This can be a big thing for us all as we are currently not allowed to have these weapons by state law. We are the good guys!!

Tony G
Link Posted: 4/10/2004 5:03:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Not to sound too stupid, but please define SBR and SBS... thanks

Will
Link Posted: 4/11/2004 8:15:32 AM EDT
[#3]
SBR=Short Barrel Rifle, SBS=Short Barrel Shotgun. These NFA weapons are restricted in the state of Alabama to LE only! As a licensed manufacturer in this state I would love to be able to make and sell these weapons to my fellow citizens. Those of us that have NFA are the good guys, and we have the "papers" to prove it.

Tony G
Link Posted: 4/11/2004 12:54:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't SBR's/SBS's require the same tax and paperwork as a full-auto?
Link Posted: 4/11/2004 1:03:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Don't SBR's/SBS's require the same tax and paperwork as a full-auto?

I thought that it was quite a bit less than full-auto Yes, it is the same as full-auto.
edited to add: This is why I should look it up, instead of posting form memory  

Jamie
Link Posted: 4/11/2004 4:02:03 PM EDT
[#6]
One example. If you have an MP5, it must stay with the gun. If SBR's were allowed, you could get an HK93 cut down and transfer the sear between the two and have an MP5 and an HK53 as long as you registered both guns and separated the sear.
Link Posted: 4/14/2004 3:30:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Use the below to link up to the Alabama Legislature page. You can enter in your zip code to get the contact info for your Senator and Representative.

http://www.legislature.state.al.us

I called and checked on the bill it is still pending.

Need to push this issue. I have my paper work ready to send off.
Link Posted: 4/14/2004 5:30:13 PM EDT
[#8]
This is a copy of the bill and it's sponsors.

65373-1:n:03/16/2004:LLR/agb LRS2004-1522

HB650
By Representatives Humphryes, Hill, Morrow, Galliher, McClendon, Ward, Glover, Beason, Brewbaker, Wood and Greer
RFD Judiciary
Rd 1 18-MAR-04

SYNOPSIS: Existing law provides for the crime of possession of a short-barreled rifle or short-barreled shotgun.
 This bill would provide that possession of a short-barreled rifle or short-barreled shotgun by a manufacturer, importer, dealer, or individual that is registered to him or her in the national firearms registry and transfer records of the United States Treasury Department would not be a crime.
 Amendment 621 of the Constitution of Alabama of 1901 prohibits a general law whose purpose or effect would be to require a new or increased expenditure of local funds from becoming effective with regard to a local governmental entity without enactment by a 2/3 vote unless: it comes within one of a number of specified exceptions; it is approved by the affected entity; or the Legislature appropriates funds, or provides a local source of revenue, to the entity for the purpose.
 The purpose or effect of this bill would be to require a new or increased expenditure of local funds within the meaning of Amendment 621. However, the bill does not require approval of a local governmental entity or enactment by a 2/3 vote to become effective because it comes within one of the specified exceptions contained in Amendment 621.

A BILL
TO BE ENTITLED
AN ACT

To amend Section 13A-11-63, Code of Alabama 1975, relating to short-barreled rifles or short-barreled shotguns; to provide that possession of a short-barreled rifle or short-barreled shotgun by a manufacturer, importer, dealer, or individual that is registered to him or her in the national firearms registry and transfer records of the United States Treasury Department would not be a crime; and in connection therewith would have as its purpose or effect the requirement of a new or increased expenditure of local funds within the meaning of Amendment 621 of the Constitution of Alabama of 1901.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF ALABAMA:

Section 1. Section 13A-11-63, Code of Alabama 1975, is amended to read as follows:
§13A-11-63.

"(a) A person who possesses, obtains, receives, sells, or uses a short-barreled rifle or a short-barreled shotgun is guilty of a Class C felony.

"(b) This section does not apply to a peace officer who possesses, obtains, receives, sells, or uses a short-barreled rifle or a short-barreled shotgun in the course of or in connection with his official duties.

"(c) This section does not apply to a licensed manufacturer, importer, dealer, or individual who possesses a short-barreled rifle or short-barreled shotgun that is registered to him or her in the national firearms registry and transfer records of the United States Treasury Department."

Section 2. Although this bill would have as its purpose or effect the requirement of a new or increased expenditure of local funds, the bill is excluded from further requirements and application under Amendment 621 because the bill defines a new crime or amends the definition of an existing crime.

Section 3. This act shall become effective on the first day of the third month following its passage and approval by the Governor, or its otherwise becoming law.

Link Posted: 4/14/2004 5:46:01 PM EDT
[#9]
phone call outgoing in the morning.....

speaking of papers...... i sure could use some hint hint
Link Posted: 4/14/2004 6:12:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Check out the M-16 page on the main AR-15 section. The SBR section has all the download froms there. It's pretty straight forward. Fill out the forms, fingerprint cards, picture and $200. Send it off. Forgive me. I'm new to this stuff and do not know how to post the links.
Link Posted: 4/14/2004 6:23:41 PM EDT
[#11]
We can work on this together. I plan to send mine in day 90 plus 1 when this passes.
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 3:51:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Are there any updates to this thread? How long until the final vote? can I start saving my cash reserves to buy a sweet shorty yet?
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 2:58:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I have not checked on it since 04/15. Everyone needs to conact there state reps if this thing is going to get passed.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 8:01:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Just an update (I'm sure most of you following this already know what happened) - this bill never really saw the light of day:

03/18/2004 - Read for the first time and referred to the House of Representatives committee on Judiciary

04/08/2004 - Read for the second time and placed on the calendar

05/05/2004 - Indefinitely Postponed

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 12:52:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Just an update (I'm sure most of you following this already know what happened) - this bill never really saw the light of day:

03/18/2004 - Read for the first time and referred to the House of Representatives committee on Judiciary

04/08/2004 - Read for the second time and placed on the calendar

05/05/2004 - Indefinitely Postponed

So what happens now?  Is there a way to get this back on the floor?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top