Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2003 3:12:43 PM EDT
Have you guys had?  I was just south of Athens this morning when a tornado decided to do its' thing.  I don't know of when I seen it rain so hard.  I sure hope that everyone has faired Ok during this.

Rick
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 3:22:14 PM EDT
[#1]
4" so far and still expecting more. Two days and nights of thunder.  

This end of the state has faired well compared to Jackson.

My prayers go out to you all.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:37:38 AM EDT
[#2]
My basement flooded yesterday morning, but other than that we've been OK here in Athens. One of the local TV weather guys yesterday quoted 8" of rain from the big cell that caused the flooding. Looks like we may have more on the way this morning, but probably nothing like yesterday. Also, thoughts and prayers to those affected by the storms in Jackson, TN and everywhere else.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:09:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Mbuc, have you heard that Swan is open again?  Might have to use a boat to get there though:)

Swan Creek (the creek, not the range) was almost out of its' banks yesterday morning where it crosses under Hwy 31.  That's the first time I've seen it so high.

Rick
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 11:51:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I live just north of Athens on Sewell road and we got a BUNCH of rain. By late Tuesday we had just over 8 inches in my back yard, measured in my rain guage. Roof is leaking and shingles are missing in several places but all is OK other than that. Neighbors did not fair so well, they lost several trees and had a lot of water damage. The road was flooded for a while and trees were down in the road blocking it. Edgewood was covered in a lot of water and was hard to travel down, it had subsided by evening as I made it to my V V A meeting with no problem.

Tony G
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:49:57 PM EDT
[#5]
i heard today that we set a 250 year record for rainfall.

mike
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 6:01:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Crossing the TN river this morning on I-65, I spotted an entire tree floating downstream!  Never seen a whole tree floating before.  There was so much trash & debris in the river that it would have been dangerous for a small boat to be out on it.

We had tornado warnings in Alabama yesterday from around 10:00 to about 7:00.  I hear that you folks around B'ham had around 10" of rain during that storm.  

Rick
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 8:51:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Mbuc, have you heard that Swan is open again?  Might have to use a boat to get there though:)

Swan Creek (the creek, not the range) was almost out of its' banks yesterday morning where it crosses under Hwy 31.  That's the first time I've seen it so high.

Rick

I went to the range Thursday afternoon for a while. Sure is nice to have a place to shoot again. Apparently everybody else thought so too, because it was pretty crowded. The flood water had gone down enough that it wasn't a problem when I went.

I also saw a couple of creeks around town that were really high. The creek that passes under Nick Davis Rd. about 300 yds east of US 31 looked like the Colorado River rapids, and I saw a picture of the Kroger parking lot half under water on the local news. The railroad underpass in Ardmore was also flooded, with water standing about half way to the top of the tunnel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top