Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2021 8:44:29 AM EDT
In three weeks, we will be moving our only remaining son from Brunswick, Georgia to Terre Haute for school. He'll be attending Rose-Hulman (wants to be an aerospace engineer, how does my knuckle-dragging ass end up raising one who wants to be a rocket scientist?)

There are a couple of things I'd like to ask, and then one thing if anyone is willing.

1) The kid has a '16 Camry. We know the Toyota dealer is nearby, so if it's a recall or TSB he already knows where the dealer is. For those in the Terre Haute area, is there a reputable independent mechanic you'd recommend for other stuff? Car is already out of warranty.

2) If he needs to see a doctor or dentist, is there anyone you recommend? He'll be on the football team, so 'work related' issues should be covered by the school.

3) He enjoys shooting. I'll send money for ammo, not sure how much time he'll have for it, but I would appreciate him having the opportunity to shoot a few times a year (he's not taking his pistol and rifle, obviously.)

The last thing I'd ask is whether any of you would mind being an emergency contact for us. If something serious happens, we are 800 miles away. Driving or flying, that's a haul. Kyle is the only child we have left, and I have it in mind that I'd rather an ARFCOMMER be close by who can help or support until I can get there.Attachment Attached File

ETA: My name is Jeremy Rehberg. 912-577-0923
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 9:35:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
In three weeks, we will be moving our only remaining son from Brunswick, Georgia to Terre Haute for school. He'll be attending Rose-Hulman (wants to be an aerospace engineer, how does my knuckle-dragging ass end up raising one who wants to be a rocket scientist?)
View Quote

Indiana is home to a large number of astronauts, it runs deep in our bones. We have some great aerospace engineering programs because of it. He is choosing a great undergrad school. I went to Rose but almost 2 decades ago so my info isn't up to date. I will answer the best I can.

Quoted:
1) The kid has a '16 Camry. We know the Toyota dealer is nearby, so if it's a recall or TSB he already knows where the dealer is. For those in the Terre Haute area, is there a reputable independent mechanic you'd recommend for other stuff? Car is already out of warranty
View Quote

I don't know of any but for real, he's in the best environment possible to learn to do things himself. Rose has unparalleled opportunities for their students. He will make contact with some capable student and they'll go use the auto lab spaces on a weekend or something to make things happen. I did many repairs myself on campus...

Quoted:
2) If he needs to see a doctor or dentist, is there anyone you recommend? He'll be on the football team, so 'work related' issues should be covered by the school.
View Quote

Do they not still have a doctor on campus? There used to be a doctor on campus free of charge to the students for basic needs. The football coach & staff will certainly have good recommendations for things that can't be handled on campus.

Quoted:
3) He enjoys shooting. I'll send money for ammo, not sure how much time he'll have for it, but I would appreciate him having the opportunity to shoot a few times a year (he's not taking his pistol and rifle, obviously.)
View Quote

This one is easy. Rose used to have a rifle team and a gun club (budget was paid out of the student activities fund). Both have gone by the wayside due to liability reasons (or the girly man running the show putting the axe to them). But the private range the gun club used to shoot at is still there. It's about 15 minutes from campus and it's a great facility! It's probably the best shooting range in the state. IIRC annual membership for a student was $5 when I was in, it's probably still VERY reasonable.

The range is Proteq Shooting Academy
Also at the same location is his son's holster and custom gear manufacturing business Proteq Custom Gear.

If you're going up to move him in go check them out. Don and Steve have a heart for students and will take good care of your son!

Quoted:
The last thing I'd ask is whether any of you would mind being an emergency contact for us. If something serious happens, we are 800 miles away. Driving or flying, that's a haul. Kyle is the only child we have left, and I have it in mind that I'd rather an ARFCOMMER be close by who can help or support until I can get there.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/161834/A73E2BF9-F604-4878-AAFF-A7FCBBD79B49_JPG-2019179.JPG

View Quote

I'm too far away to be of help but the Rose community is very tightknit and the football team even more so. Your son is in good hands.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 9:48:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Indiana is home to a large number of astronauts, it runs deep in our bones. We have some great aerospace engineering programs because of it. He is choosing a great undergrad school. I went to Rose but almost 2 decades ago so my info isn't up to date. I will answer the best I can.

I don't know of any but for real, he's in the best environment possible to learn to do things himself. Rose has unparalleled opportunities for their students. He will make contact with some capable student and they'll go use the auto lab spaces on a weekend or something to make things happen. I did many repairs myself on campus...

Do they not still have a doctor on campus? There used to be a doctor on campus free of charge to the students for basic needs. The football coach & staff will certainly have good recommendations for things that can't be handled on campus.

This one is easy. Rose used to have a rifle team and a gun club (budget was paid out of the student activities fund). Both have gone by the wayside due to liability reasons (or the girly man running the show putting the axe to them). But the private range the gun club used to shoot at is still there. It's about 15 minutes from campus and it's a great facility! It's probably the best shooting range in the state. IIRC annual membership for a student was $5 when I was in, it's probably still VERY reasonable.

The range is Proteq Shooting Academy
Also at the same location is his son's holster and custom gear manufacturing business Proteq Custom Gear.

If you're going up to move him in go check them out. Don and Steve have a heart for students and will take good care of your son!

I'm too far away to be of help but the Rose community is very tightknit and the football team even more so. Your son is in good hands.
View Quote

We took a tour last year, met with the coaches. I believe they have a doctor on staff for athletes, not sure if the doc is available for all students.

We heard nothing about a rifle team, but thank you for the club recommendation.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:55:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

There are a couple of things I'd like to ask, and then one thing if anyone is willing.

1) The kid has a '16 Camry. We know the Toyota dealer is nearby, so if it's a recall or TSB he already knows where the dealer is. For those in the Terre Haute area, is there a reputable independent mechanic you'd recommend for other stuff? Car is already out of warranty.

The last thing I'd ask is whether any of you would mind being an emergency contact for us. If something serious happens, we are 800 miles away. Driving or flying, that's a haul. Kyle is the only child we have left, and I have it in mind that I'd rather an ARFCOMMER be close by who can help or support until I can get there.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/161834/A73E2BF9-F604-4878-AAFF-A7FCBBD79B49_JPG-2019179.JPG

View Quote

I think SigOwner_P229 answered most of your questions.

I graduated from RHIT as well (BSME 1987).

In addition to the ProTEQ facility, there is also Riley Conservation Club very close to campus.  It requires a membership, but they offer a discount for students (www.rileycc.com).  As far as mechanic, physician, and dentist referrals go, I would advise him ask his coaches and some faculty once he gets there.

Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:58:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

We took a tour last year, met with the coaches. I believe they have a doctor on staff for athletes, not sure if the doc is available for all students.

We heard nothing about a rifle team, but thank you for the club recommendation.
View Quote

That's because the school's gun club was disbanded and the successful rifle team was dissolved by the previous president (good riddance).

The rifle team's gear was purchased by Riley Conservation Club.  There may be some smallbore activities available for RHIT students there, but I don't how active it is.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 7:37:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That's because the school's gun club was disbanded and the successful rifle team was dissolved by the previous president (good riddance).

The rifle team's gear was purchased by Riley Conservation Club.  There may be some smallbore activities available for RHIT students there, but I don't how active it is.  
View Quote

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 1:48:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Way to step up everyone for OP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top