Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/8/2010 12:37:12 PM EDT
So I take my stepdaughter to softball practice in Hobart and drive past Precision Cartridge Inc, look them up and wonder how come I've never heard of them. Anybody ever tried their ammo?

http://www.precisioncartridge.com/prices.html

Link Posted: 8/8/2010 1:37:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm  pretty sure that I bought some from Blythe's once for a 357 that I rented there. 50 rounds, every thing went bang. I didn't shoot anything else that day to compare it to, so all I can say is that it was functional.
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 2:59:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So I take my stepdaughter to softball practice in Hobart and drive past Precision Cartridge Inc, look them up and wonder how come I've never heard of them. Anybody ever tried their ammo?

If this is a store front I believe they load ammo . I work with a guy that says it works well, however I am not and have never been a fan of handloaded ammo that hasn't been loaded by me or someone I trust. Just my opinion...
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 4:27:16 PM EDT
[#4]
We buy all of our frangible from them and never had a problem out of several thousands of rounds.
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 6:11:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Good stuff
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 8:15:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes he is good 2 go.  Reloads for a lot of places.  Used to shoot his ammo before I reloaded many years ago when Jim Shemas was still open.  No problems, used to have a deposit on the brass, not sure they do that still.
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 8:26:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Genuine High Quality Ammo. The top PPC shooters in the State of Indiana and others use his loads. I have had him make up special loads as far back as 1986. Stop by and talk to Dennis, he is great to deal with. True straight shooter, no shortcuts, just downright perfectionon reloads.
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 4:39:53 AM EDT
[#8]
After seeing his website I'm curious enough to at the very least give him a call. Judging from the size of his place he must be doing something right. In fact a friend and I went to Rock River Arms and their place wasn't much bigger.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 11:45:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I talked to a friend of mine who said that he attended a rifle pistol class and they had lots of problems with 223 and 45. He even said that they took back the dummy rounds because the instructor thought they we're getting enough IA practice without them. I told him what everyone else was saying so he thought maybe they got a bad batch.

Link Posted: 8/11/2010 7:16:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Happen to run into the place buy chance and stopped by one day.  Bought 500 rounds of .223 that day and have bougth a few thousand since.  All was good to go.
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 9:33:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, out of the box I bought I had 3 cracked casings when I opened the box, two that keyholed at about 7 yards and found one spent casing that was split almost halfway down. I think I'll stick to my other sources.

Link Posted: 8/12/2010 3:46:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Well, out of the box I bought I had 3 cracked casings when I opened the box, two that keyholed at about 7 yards and found one spent casing that was split almost halfway down. I think I'll stick to my other sources.

Sorry to hear that.
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 7:05:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If this is a store front I believe they load ammo . I work with a guy that says it works well, however I am not and have never been a fan of handloaded ammo that hasn't been loaded by me or someone I trust. Just my opinion...

Just sayin.....
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 7:23:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Come on....seriously?
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 7:31:17 PM EDT
[#15]
I find it hard it accept that you had that many issues.  I have used thousands of PC rounds without issue. 9MM, .45, and.223.  Never one out of spec round, misfire, or squib.

Did you take it back to them?  Show them the rounds?  I am sure they would be interested.
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 7:44:01 PM EDT
[#16]
A cracked case after it has been shot isn't that big of a deal, however before hand, that's a quality control issue. Either way that sounds extreme for a guy who has been selling reloads for years and sells all over the place.
Link Posted: 8/13/2010 4:40:46 AM EDT
[#17]
The first keyhole got the benfit of the doubt, as it was near a perforated part of the target. Second one I took a picture of to show them when I go back. No squibs, and they felt consistent when shooting. I've got the three unfired rounds that are cracked and the one empty that split so bad. I've got no reason to make this up, I was honestly excited to shoot local ammo. I'm disappointed and after this box, with three visibly defective rounds, I really don't want to risk my gun getting messed up.

Link Posted: 8/13/2010 5:31:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Was it 40 cal?  40's like to split like that.
Link Posted: 8/13/2010 6:30:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Come on....seriously?

I witnessed.
Link Posted: 8/13/2010 11:41:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Prices look good, Damn I just gave my neibor 500+ rnds of .357 nickel plated brass.
Link Posted: 8/13/2010 4:11:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The first keyhole got the benfit of the doubt, as it was near a perforated part of the target. Second one I took a picture of to show them when I go back. No squibs, and they felt consistent when shooting. I've got the three unfired rounds that are cracked and the one empty that split so bad. I've got no reason to make this up, I was honestly excited to shoot local ammo. I'm disappointed and after this box, with three visibly defective rounds, I really don't want to risk my gun getting messed up.

Pics or GTFO

Really, post some pics if you can, would like to see these casings as well, I want to show my buddies that swear by this place.
Link Posted: 8/13/2010 4:31:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm not that computer literate, so I don't actually know how to get pics from my phone on to the pc to post them. Haydendavid380 was at the Wednesday night pistol league where I used them. He saw the ammo and his friend actually found the split empty.

Link Posted: 8/14/2010 1:36:50 PM EDT
[#23]
I have had a couple problems with hard primers but besides that its good to go.
Link Posted: 8/16/2010 8:01:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm not that computer literate, so I don't actually know how to get pics from my phone on to the pc to post them. Haydendavid380 was at the Wednesday night pistol league where I used them. He saw the ammo and his friend actually found the split empty.

Thanks for sending me the pics Sixnine, I showed them to my buddies at work today. Needless to say they were shocked.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 9:36:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Sorry about the quality, it's hard to get a cell camera to focus on such small items.

Link Posted: 8/17/2010 9:48:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Did you call PC yet?  Just curious what he said and did for you.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 1:07:52 PM EDT
[#27]
So far I haven't been back by there, I work midnights and I sleep through business hours.

Link Posted: 8/19/2010 9:20:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Last night I shot the last ten rounds I had, and got one more keyhle and another probable. At this point I don't even know if it's worth going back to show them the defects. I certainly don't want more of their ammo, and having shot all but three of them, a refund doesn't seem right to ask for. At best it would be a trip just to give them negative feedback.

Link Posted: 8/19/2010 5:21:18 PM EDT
[#29]
At the very least I would give them a call and let them know what kind of ammo they are selling to less knowledgable customers. I am sure the average weekend shooter doesnt know what a keyhole is. When I told my buddies at work about the keyhole issue they just looked at me with blank eyes.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 6:11:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
At the very least I would give them a call and let them know what kind of ammo they are selling to less knowledgable customers. I am sure the average weekend shooter doesnt know what a keyhole is. When I told my buddies at work about the keyhole issue they just looked at me with blank eyes.

That's when you shoot out a door lock by putting a round in the "keyhole" right?
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 7:02:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's when you shoot out a door lock by putting a round in the "keyhole" right?

That's when you take your $800 silencer, that you just paid a $200 tax on, that you waited 4 months to get approved, slap it on the counter and tell them thanks for the baffle strike!  
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 9:27:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Stopped at PCI and gave him the defective rounds. He offered another box to call it even, and I declined. He explained that good help was hard to find and that those should have never been put out. He also told me that he thought they had the keyholing issues fixed. He ended the conversation by saying he was going to go talk to his people about the issues.

Link Posted: 8/21/2010 6:19:58 AM EDT
[#33]

After reading what was said about my ammunition, I feel I need to reply to this Forum and all of the persons involved with this thread.

Having been in business for nearly 24 years and producing more than 50 million rounds of ammunition, I can honestly state that yes, occasionally, rounds will get packaged and sent out that should not have been. After talking with the individual who purchased the 357 Sig ammunition, I held a meeting with the employees in the inspection & packaging area and was told the above mentioned rounds were inspected & packed by a former employee who was terminated in April 2010 for his lack of work ethics and violations of company policy. The remainder of the "lot" has been pulled from the shelf and will be dismantled.

The purchaser was the person who made the statement "Good Help is hard to find" which after 24 years of having employees, I could not agree more with!!! As the owner of the company, I cannot be everywhere, do everything, watch everything at all times, that is why I have employees who I assume are doing their respective duties with integrity and professionalism, sometimes obviously, this is not the case. I can list many such instances of stupidity, carelessness and outright "I don't care" attitudes over the last 24 years.

Concerning the casing that split AFTER being fired, being that is was Nickle Plated, this type of casing is known for its brittleness (especially in 357 Sig & 357 Magnum) and sometimes will split after a single firing and I obviously have no control over this type of failure. As for the three casings that were packaged with the obvious defects, please refer to the above paragraph.

Also, I wish to address the statement:

*********************************************************************************************************
I talked to a friend of mine who said that he attended a rifle pistol class and they had lots of problems with 223 and 45. He even said that they took back the dummy rounds because the instructor thought they we're getting enough IA practice without them. I told him what everyone else was saying so he thought maybe they got a bad batch.
************************************************************************************************************

I have never received any communication and/or feedback from either the "friend" who attended this class, the person(s) who ran the class nor the individual who  wrote the thread. Just as in any business, if there is actually a problem, I would want to know about it so I can address it as I am doing here with the defective 357 Sig ammunition. I would very much like to know what class, who ran it, date of class and any other information that I can use to ascertain the problem(s) and do my best to correct any deficiencies or quality control issues that are involved with my ammunition.

As stated in this thread, I am at my place of business six days a week and  do everything possible to produce quality reloaded ammunition and when a problem does arise, do everything possible to resolve the problem where all parties involved are satisfied with the outcome.

Link Posted: 8/21/2010 6:31:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Thanks for the reply, .357 sig's crack all the time that part is understandable.  Good help...I hear you on that one.

I haven't shot your reloads since Shema when out of business...but I never had any issues.

Hmm maybe a bulk buy of heavily discounted 5.56 for the posters in this thread would a good idea...just joking

Good Luck/ God Bless
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 7:13:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 9:21:38 AM EDT
[#36]
I listened to an episode of the ProArms podcast a few weeks ago.  According to Massad Ayoob (and others). Never shoot 357 Sig reloads.  Stick to the expensive stuff.  There are to many problems with the cheap Low price stuff
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 10:00:01 AM EDT
[#37]
I made a quick post on my phone after I left, and just before going to a doctors appointment. Your account of our last meeting was much more in depth. I hope you realize by my other posts that I was honestly not trying to bash your product, and that bringing the rounds back to you was to show you that there was a problem so you could take care of it. When we talked about it, I generally got the impression that you cared about your product, and not just interested in cranking out the numbers. No hard feelings I hope, and I will ask my friend what class he went to that had all the problems.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 3:02:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I listened to an episode of the ProArms podcast a few weeks ago.  According to Massad Ayoob (and others). Never shoot 357 Sig reloads.  Stick to the expensive stuff.  There are to many problems with the cheap Low price stuff

I've been getting my .357's for the last two years from a friend who charges me enough to cover the materials, and I've never had a single malf. He pays particular attention to the casings, and has told me that you can only reload the empties about 5 or 6 times before they're used up. Otherwise I would agree that that round is a tricky one to reload. He also has an advantage by knowing about how many times the brass has been used, when he reloads it. One question I have is, would the nickel casing that split be a cause for keyholing? The reloads I normally get are all brass, so maybe that is a possible cause.

Link Posted: 8/21/2010 7:38:26 PM EDT
[#39]
*bulletbaron* email sent your way.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 9:08:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been getting my .357's for the last two years from a friend who charges me enough to cover the materials, and I've never had a single malf. He pays particular attention to the casings, and has told me that you can only reload the empties about 5 or 6 times before they're used up. Otherwise I would agree that that round is a tricky one to reload. He also has an advantage by knowing about how many times the brass has been used, when he reloads it. One question I have is, would the nickel casing that split be a cause for keyholing? The reloads I normally get are all brass, so maybe that is a possible cause.

I recomend listening to the podast.  Mass have allot of info on the ballistics on the 357 Sig. It is very informative.  I have been carrying one for 15 years.  After shooting a boar with one at Ted Nugents place several year ago I swear by it.  

Link Posted: 8/21/2010 11:31:05 PM EDT
[#41]
I awlays thought it would make a pretty decent round for a carbine.

Link Posted: 8/22/2010 10:49:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

That would be a pricey 30rd mag cycle.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 12:40:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I said decent, not perfect! The price ruins it, getting a carbine in a rifle caliber is cheaper to shoot.

Link Posted: 8/28/2010 9:33:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Bullet Baron if you're reading this I hope to stop by Monday with something you might be interested in, and this time it's something good. How would you like a chance to get something LaRue and Wilson Combat are interested in, FIRST?

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 6:18:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I said decent, not perfect! The price ruins it, getting a carbine in a rifle caliber is cheaper to shoot.

10 mm FTW  

And thanks For the feed back BulletBaron. It's Great to see a  local company  with  great customer service.  I will definatly look you guys up up as I start growing my ammo fort.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 9:27:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Bullet Baron if you're reading this I hope to stop by Monday with something you might be interested in, and this time it's something good. How would you like a chance to get something LaRue and Wilson Combat are interested in, FIRST?

drum roll......
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 9:53:18 PM EDT
[#47]
I shot 50 rounds of .223 55 grain ball last week through my 11.5 inch sbr. no issues.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 5:48:18 AM EDT
[#48]
Think military and sniper grade, an alternative to Tungsten.

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 3:09:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Didn't get over there today. The hospital called me in early for surgery and now I have to stay overnight because of something with my EKG.

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 3:16:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Didn't get over there today. The hospital called me in early for surgery and now I have to stay overnight because of something with my EKG.

Hope you have a quick recovery, and can get back into action soon.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top