Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2010 6:22:25 PM EDT
I get so flustrated, every time i want to stop in they are closed..i plan on going tomorrow..look up on the website..guess what..closed tomorrow..a thursday!.. of course closed the next 3 weekends..they make it very difficult to attempt to do business with them...
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 6:41:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 6:57:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah it doesn't make any sense. They are paying rent for a store but they are always closed when I stop by. I have left messages and never got any calls back.

One time I did talk to someone and they wouldn't give me a price over the phone. I have bought a few things from them at shows but I will never waste my time to drive over there again.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 10:32:27 AM EDT
[#3]
If I remember correctly you need a store front to get a FFL.  I think they primarly do gun shows.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 11:50:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If I remember correctly you need a store front to get a FFL.  I think they primarly do gun shows.

Not true at all.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 11:54:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You remember wrong, you do need approved zoning though.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 12:32:26 PM EDT
[#6]
He is basicaly a one man operation and tries to hit every show around here so hence the closed often deal.

Link Posted: 4/9/2010 2:57:18 AM EDT
[#7]
You weren't going to buy a gun anyway...

And that's his S.O. you know.

Link Posted: 4/9/2010 11:39:57 AM EDT
[#8]
I've talked to the guy a few times at shows.  Almost everything he has in his retail store, he carries with him to the shows.  I guess he feels hes more visible going from show to show then a small shop in downtown Goshen.  Can't say I blame him.  If it wasn't for gun shows I'd have never heard of him.  Good guy and has some good deals.  BTW, he's pretty quick to respond to emails.  You may want to contact him ahead of time.  Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 4/10/2010 8:35:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Last July I stopped  into Midwest's new store looking for a 6920, they wanted $1500.00
. So I drive down ZX in Goshen

to see what they had. Didn't have my rifle in stock and couldn't quote me price, but said they would call me with a price

the following week. Never heard back..

Went to Granger Guns a few weeks later and bought one..$1250.00 OTD.. It was about a hundred more than I wanted

to pay but still cheaper than Gunbroker with the shipping and transfer fees..

Link Posted: 4/11/2010 4:00:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Last July I stopped  into Midwest's new store looking for a 6920, they wanted $1500.00 . So I drive down ZX in Goshen
to see what they had. Didn't have my rifle in stock and couldn't quote me price, but said they would call me with a price
the following week. Never heard back..

Went to [red]Granger Guns a few weeks later and bought one..$1250.00 OTD.. It was about a hundred more than I wanted
to pay but still cheaper than Gunbroker with the shipping and transfer fees..

I use Steve at Granger for all my transfers and try to buy whatever I can from him.

BTW I just saw a TV ad for ZX yesterday.
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 7:18:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes they are closed sometimes but when open they are friendly and try to be helpful .

Can't blame them for trying to drum up business hitting the shows .

They do reasonable transfers . $20 I think
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 7:19:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Course I like granger guns too  .

I took my son to Midwest in Mishawaka the other day . he was amazed .

Kinda like a  small gunshow right  there .   Too bad prices arent better .

Usually his used prices are what I see new guns for at other places
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 8:12:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 2:02:12 AM EDT
[#14]
I tried calling ZX 3 times yesterday and never got anyone to pick up!!! I just got pissed and quit trying.
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 8:42:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Sorry to the granger guns i have never been a fan of steve. But when you get this kind of response from other gunshops then granger doesnt seem so bad after all.

Link Posted: 4/15/2010 10:49:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sorry to the granger guns i have never been a fan of steve. But when you get this kind of response from other gunshops then granger doesnt seem so bad after all.

Are you still working at Midwest?
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 12:20:03 PM EDT
[#17]
sajer

hey i love the guys at midwest and of course the selection, but when im looking at a lets say swith wesson m&p compact..you guys want 559 and i can get it at zx for 489..its a no brainer..

i hate to shop anywhere but midwest, but the prices have only gone up over the last 18 months....being a little higher is one thing..for the knowledge, selection etc..but 70 bucks on a 500 handgun is a bit much...let alone rifles etc.
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 3:02:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Can't we all just get along? I am a proud supporter of all of all lead chuckers supply centers. Today I bought a Mil spec buffer tube from ZX and a couple more Pmags at Midwest. Tomorrow I'm gonna check out my trigger job on my M&P 9c (done by me) at Class 3, and hit Blythes looking for moar cheap (ish) Brit 5.56. Then the show is Saturday and next week, I need to hit Lens reloading shop and Granger Guns because I'm getting into reloading. Then maybe Indiana Arms and the Firing Pin just because.

Its nice to be a delivery driver sometimes.
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 7:49:43 AM EDT
[#19]
I dont work there as often as I used to, but i can still try and help you guys out if you need anything. I will be there saturday for smith and wesson days and of course the flood of people that go to the south bend show and dont find anything and then mosey around the shop all day.

They emailed some specials out to everyone and if you didnt get it . just im me and i can send you a copy.

Yes, some things have changed with midwest, but there are still some good guys and gals there that are willing to help you.

Link Posted: 4/16/2010 1:01:59 PM EDT
[#20]

I'm not at all satisfied with Midwest. I think it's the last time I even contact them.

prices are way too high, and their knowledge sucks.

Why be a class III dealer if you have no clue WTF you are talking about.

I just called to talk to them about suppressors due to the Gemtax event...

Me: Can I get a Price on some Gemtech suppressors

Them: Ugh.. I think we've ordered before

Me:
ugh.. ok model XX & XX

Them: Last time order price was XXX.XX which was MSRP

Me: Ok.. how about YHM

Them: Never hear of em...

Me
.. ok thanks, have a nice day
ZX on the other hand was quite knowledgeable and priced correctly and even had gemtech in stock.. but they are in the process of getting a completely new FFL #.. so I was told there would be a couple month delay on the paperwork just from their end. So looks like I miss out on Gemtax... oh well.

Midwest has one thing going for them..large inventory. I'll go there to finger fuck what I'm interested in, then go someplace else that's reasonable to purchase it

Link Posted: 4/16/2010 2:04:38 PM EDT
[#21]
the whole attitude there since the new store opening has changed and done a complete 180..plus prices have gone up anywhere between 10-20percent on avg.
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 4:28:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

the whole attitude there since the new store opening has changed and done a complete 180..plus prices have gone up anywhere between 10-20percent on avg.

No shit... walking into their shop, I'd feel under dressed with anything other than a suit.  Feel like they should have wine & a cheese tray sitting out, and a side room for cigar smoking...

When I called them the other day, they asked "how they could direct my call"

I almost asked them to speak with the consierge...

Link Posted: 4/16/2010 5:36:10 PM EDT
[#23]
S&W days huh?
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 8:38:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm not at all satisfied with Midwest. I think it's the last time I even contact them.

prices are way too high, and their knowledge sucks.

Why be a class III dealer if you have no clue WTF you are talking about.

I just called to talk to them about suppressors due to the Gemtax event...

Me: Can I get a Price on some Gemtech suppressors
Them: Ugh.. I think we've ordered before
Me: ugh.. ok model XX & XX
Them: Last time order price was XXX.XX which was MSRP
Me: Ok.. how about YHM
Them: Never hear of em...
Me .. ok thanks, have a nice day

Midwest has one thing going for them..large inventory. I'll go there to finger fuck what I'm interested in, then go someplace else that's reasonable to purchase it

Midwest has one guy that deals with class III and is about as personable as a rock. The few times I have asked him something he seemed irritated that I was bothering him.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 8:43:22 AM EDT
[#25]
My biggest problem with Midwest is WAY, WAY too much CAA and UTG, and NO YHM, MI, or anything of better quality. Funny, I was told they won't keep more of an inventory because the accessories don't sell fast... Uhm, DAH, yeAH, wonder why? I am willing to pay a mark up to local businesses, but not for crap I don't want or need. If I'm going to add rails, they have to be FF, and not two pc chicom crap. You would think a company called Midwest might want to carry some more items from Midwest Industries, not that they are affiliated in any way.

And the campaign sign out front for a Democrat??? WTF!!!

Oh, and the guy who tried to tell me not to have a CL barrel cut down because the chrome would chip. I'm guessing he doesn't understand how hard chrome is applied, or the proper machining of a muzzle crown. But that wasn't the store talking, just someone who knows more myths than facts.

However, if you speak to a bald guy with a 1911, the customer service is top notch. He is actually a salesman unlike some of the others that work there.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 9:18:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 9:39:49 AM EDT
[#27]
I believe it was for St. Joe county Sheriff. I don't remember much after the word Democrat on the sign. I asked WTFITS and was told "I didn't ask, I just stay out of it".

On an unrelated subject, does anyone have a paintball gun I can borrow???
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 11:07:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My biggest problem with Midwest is WAY, WAY too much CAA and UTG, and NO YHM, MI, or anything of better quality. Funny, I was told they won't keep more of an inventory because the accessories don't sell fast... Uhm, DAH, yeAH, wonder why? I am willing to pay a mark up to local businesses, but not for crap I don't want or need. If I'm going to add rails, they have to be FF, and not two pc chicom crap. You would think a company called Midwest might want to carry some more items from Midwest Industries, not that they are affiliated in any way.

Oh, and the guy who tried to tell me not to have a CL barrel cut down because the chrome would chip. I'm guessing he doesn't understand how hard chrome is applied, or the proper machining of a muzzle crown. But that wasn't the store talking, just someone who knows more myths than facts.

However, if you speak to a bald guy with a 1911, the customer service is top notch. He is actually a salesman unlike some of the others that work there.

I agree with you on the UTG stuff. Not my fav even though i have had a few guys come in and tell me they put them on thier rifles when they were over in Irag and Afgan. I was like But whatever. I would rather see some DD or Troy stuff there and have made the suggestion many times over the years I have worked there.They do carry a limited amount of MI though and it's getting better on the ar parts and uppers.

Like I said when you hire a larger group of people to work the place there can at times be something missing. While I would never say I know everything, i know enough to steer people in the right direction. Im not that good with revolvers, so if it gets past my knowledge i hand it off to Brian or Bob. Oh and Bob is the bald guy who looks like a pirate. He is one of the " old " midwest guys , not many of us around anymore.

As much as this may get me in trouble with the boss, i agree that the general feel of the store has changed. I was talking the other day with 21century guns when he stopped over after the south bend show and the subject of the new store came up. I let him talk and we both agred that it felt different. Not a "gunshop feel, but more like a cabelas without all the other stuff. It has kind of lost that personal touch and gained a more upscale commercial feel. Again echoing some of the comments i have heard here and other places.

Kevin is the class 3 guy , but can talk with Tim also about the sup. They carry gemtech and AAC for the most part now . We have had other manufactures over the years, but it seems gemtech and AAC are the prefered these days. I would say that most people are not the best with sup. knowledge Tthere that is why they tried to focus it towards one individual. Though some of the other guys can help.

Like I said I only work once in awhile anymore, so If i can help you i will.

Appreciate the feedback though.

Link Posted: 4/19/2010 3:45:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with you on the UTG stuff. Not my fav even though i have had a few guys come in and tell me they put them on thier rifles when they were over in Irag and Afgan. I was like But whatever. I would rather see some DD or Troy stuff there and have made the suggestion many times over the years I have worked there.They do carry a limited amount of MI though and it's getting better on the ar parts and uppers.

Like I said when you hire a larger group of people to work the place there can at times be something missing. While I would never say I know everything, i know enough to steer people in the right direction. Im not that good with revolvers, so if it gets past my knowledge i hand it off to Brian or Bob. Oh and Bob is the bald guy who looks like a pirate. He is one of the " old " midwest guys , not many of us around anymore.

As much as this may get me in trouble with the boss, i agree that the general feel of the store has changed. I was talking the other day with 21century guns when he stopped over after the south bend show and the subject of the new store came up. I let him talk and we both agred that it felt different. Not a "gunshop feel, but more like a cabelas without all the other stuff. It has kind of lost that personal touch and gained a more upscale commercial feel. Again echoing some of the comments i have heard here and other places.

Kevin is the class 3 guy , but can talk with Tim also about the sup. They carry gemtech and AAC for the most part now . We have had other manufactures over the years, but it seems gemtech and AAC are the prefered these days. I would say that most people are not the best with sup. knowledge Tthere that is why they tried to focus it towards one individual. Though some of the other guys can help.

Like I said I only work once in awhile anymore, so If i can help you i will.

Appreciate the feedback though.

I called Kevin a couple of weeks ago about a Surefire can for my OBR and never got a call back.

Link Posted: 4/19/2010 4:14:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 11:05:04 AM EDT
[#31]
I though it was Bob, but didn't want to mis speak. He could probably sell obama on capitalism if they let him get a few minutes alone with him.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 10:49:06 AM EDT
[#32]
I bought a used SW 22a for plinking.  Paid 199.99.  I tried to haggle but they wouldn't budge.
It was dirty but in pretty good shape.  2 weeks later they were running the same pistol NIB for 199.99.  I've been avoiding the place ever since.
Link Posted: 4/22/2010 2:54:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Just go to Granger.......talk to Steve & buy a gun
Link Posted: 4/22/2010 3:06:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 4:56:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I though it was Bob, but didn't want to mis speak. He could probably sell obama on capitalism if they let him get a few minutes alone with him.

I have given Bob a lot of my money in the last 5-6 years.  He's top notch. The other guys are good, I have just gotten use to Bob. As others have said, Midwest just feels different, and there regular prices are a little higher then they used to be. Their prices seem like they have been creeping up. I shouldn't have to wait for a special to come around.

I have been working In Goshen the last couple days, noticed the shop and went in.  I liked the shop. Every thing seemed to be priced right. Had a nice feel to it. Walked around for a while and then talked to owners wife for a while (bad with names, sorry).  I was in there for a while, and the whole time  she  was very helpful and polite. Very down to earth. I think I will be doing business with them in the future.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top