Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2009 8:43:21 PM EDT
It was/is my understanding that you can apply for a lifetime permit when your four year permit expires inside 180 days.

I called my local LEO, and after a couple transfers, I explained this and asked if I needed an appointment - The reply was "Who told you that?", rather gruffly.
Well, at that moment, with his tone, I was not confident that I had it correct and stated that I could not recall and asked that if I was incorrect, would he please educate me. The officer (I'm guessing as no name or position was given), replied that it was 60 days, mmmm okay.

I moved recently and my permit says that I have to inform the Indiana State Police in writing in 60 days. I thought if I was renewing then that would satisfy this requirement, well that didn't work, so I moved on to the change of address issue.

I called the ISP to inquire as to where to send the written change of address notification, the nice lady told me to go to the ISP website, fill out the form and fax it in if I did not choose to have a new permit issued ($20 for an updated permit and since mine expires soon, I'll pass on that).

While on the ISP site, I see a FAQ, I click on it and there is my original question phrased in two different ways (FAQ). Additionally, I go to the in.gov/legislative statutes and see the same as my initial understanding - 180 days.

I felt like calling back and calling BS, but after a minute thought that might not be the best avenue as I do not want to piss off the very folks who'll be handling the paperwork.

My plan now is to carry the printed FAQ and the statutes down to the station and ask to apply for the lifetime permit, if they pull the sixty day deal again, then I'll pull out my paperwork.

Do you think that will end well or does anybody have another suggestion?

I’ve had a permit for 20 years and have NEVER had a problem renewing.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:55:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Go for the Lifetime now. I would have the code in my back pocket just in case . Call ISP if you still have problems.

TS
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:57:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Go for the Lifetime now. I would have the code in my back pocket just in case . Call ISP if you still have problems.

TS

This gets a big +1
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:35:02 AM EDT
[#3]
180 days is 180 days!  The law states it.  Honor it they must!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:56:31 AM EDT
[#4]
You apply online now, the only thing the local LEO does is the fingerprint card.

Go ahead and do the application online and print off the page to take to the LEO.  That will give them the info they need.

Here's all the info you need.

http://www.in.gov/portal/faq.html?faqid=690&p_created=1203432286
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:19:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Not to be nitpicky, but its a LCH not a CCP. That's License to Carry Handgun, no concealment required, although its recommended.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top