Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2009 2:23:11 PM EDT
Evening folks.

I looked through the ranges thread above and just don't know enough about Indiana to know the general location of the ranges people spoke of. That said, I thought it might be quicker to see if someone who lives around Lafayette knows of a good 100-300 yard range within like 45 minutes thereof. Long story short, lady friend of mine asked me to bring two ARs for my weekend visit to West Lafayette. Bringing the two ARs will require an additional three hours of travel thereby pushing my commute from NW Chicagoland into rush hour around South Bend (or wherever I am around 4:30 given I cannot go tru Cook County (gotta go to the house from downtown to get the rifles then go 5 counties around the straight shot - fuck IL)), but I particularly enjoy seeing this one shoot.

Anyhow... Any ranges within 45 minutes or so worth the effort? Google maps has one listed nearby but it's very expensive ($22/hr x2 people) at least compared to what I'm used to.

Thanks a bunch. I'll bring back photos and nice little review.

PS - I looked for the 'Range Locator' that used to be on ARFCom but it seems to be... gone. Anyone know its whereabouts?
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 3:21:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Why go all the way to South Bend?  Cant you just take 65 down?

I would even take 57 to 74 into Indy, then north on 65 to Lafayette.

The closest range I know if near Lafayette is in Edinburgh, Atterbury Range.  Probably an hour forty five from Lafayette.  It's only 100 yds max.

Perhaps someone will chime in before you leave.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 3:45:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Why go all the way to South Bend?  Cant you just take 65 down?

I would even take 57 to 74 into Indy, then north on 65 to Lafayette.

The closest range I know if near Lafayette is in Edinburgh, Atterbury Range.  Probably an hour forty five from Lafayette.  It's only 100 yds max.

Perhaps someone will chime in before you leave.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Goes to show you what I know about IN. I meant Gary. Fuck. Looks like Ill be doing 355 to 80 to 65. Google says an extra 57 mins compared to taking 294 to 94 but whatever. Least its legal.

Thanks for the pointer. Lil far but Ill keep it in mind depending on how much time we have to kill.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 5:44:04 PM EDT
[#3]
The only range here in town, Flat Creek, is closed. I don't think they will reopen. Something about air scrubbers and permits. There is a shooting club outside of Brookston called Wildcat Creek. I can't find a phone number for you, but it is pretty close. Half hour or so. Might want to call them and see if you can't get in.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 5:58:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Okay it's the Wildcal Valley Rifle And Pistol Club. I'm doing this on my phone so I can't link you. But google it. It's a private club but call a couple of the club officers and maybe they know someone that would like to shoot with you.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 6:47:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't go to state property to shoot if you are an IL resident, I don't believe they will allow you.

Olycar15
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 4:42:10 AM EDT
[#6]
There is Jasper Pulaski which is north of W.  Lafayette on 43 by about an hour.  IL residents can shoot there, just bring your FOID in case the range officer asks.

Wildcat Valley is members only IIRC.

Flat Creek is indeed closed, but it isn't because of air scrubber problems. . .

There is one other option.  South on 231 is the Linden Conservation Club, just past Romney if you're coming from W Lafayette.  For guests its $5 a day on the weekends, but the range only goes to 100 yards.  
Supposedly there's another range that goes back to 7 or 800, but I believe its about a 2 hour drive from West Lafayette, and costs $20 a day to use.  Haven't been there, just heard about it.

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 2:20:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There is one other option.  South on 231 is the Linden Conservation Club, just past Romney if you're coming from W Lafayette.  For guests its $5 a day on the weekends, but the range only goes to 100 yards.  

Absolutely perfect! Thank you very much. That Saturday will be the full auto shoot there, as well which should make for a more entertaining time!

Thanks again!!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 5:46:31 PM EDT
[#8]
And Wild Cat is darn expensive! I had to take a week of vacation just to go home and shoot! I have yet to fire off a round in Indiana.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 6:38:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Did not know about the Linden conservation club. Thanks Krazny! I'll have to check it out. What weekend is the full auto shoot?
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 7:38:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Did not know about the Linden conservation club. Thanks Krazny! I'll have to check it out. What weekend is the full auto shoot?

This coming Saturday, the 20th. If you're gonna be there, let me know!
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 3:21:15 AM EDT
[#11]
I did finally find that schedule but noticed a problem. This Saturday is the 19th. And if you look at their previous full auto shoots they were on a Sunday. So you might want to call someone before driving out there for it just to clear that up. If it's Saturday I couldn't go anyway because of Purdue football, but could in if it were Sunday.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 4:13:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I did finally find that schedule but noticed a problem. This Saturday is the 19th. And if you look at their previous full auto shoots they were on a Sunday. So you might want to call someone before driving out there for it just to clear that up. If it's Saturday I couldn't go anyway because of Purdue football, but could in if it were Sunday.

I can't read calendars

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:05:30 AM EDT
[#13]
No, it's not you.  They have it as being on Saturday the 20th.  Their problem, not yours.

J.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:19:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I'll find out when it is.  Last one was on a Sunday.  Previous ones have been on Saturday.  Usually they start at 9 or so, and run until 2 or so.  

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:23:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Linden is awesome.. and yes.. I am saying that because I'm a member there too

It's the best bang for your buck around Indy if you want to shoot center fire rifle. I drive up there from Carmel.

Okki
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:25:16 PM EDT
[#16]
The Shoot is on SUNDAY, Sept 20th.  Starting at about 9-930.

The 100 yard range will be closed for this shoot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top