Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/1/2007 1:38:53 PM EDT
1. my understanding was that Indiana honored a permit issused by any other State (as long as you did not reside in Indiana); thus, in theorey a person living in IL could get a FL permit and legally carry in Indiana;

2. today someone told me that they had just received a permit from Florida that stated that Indiana would not honor it

3. Indiana law says...I.C. 35-47-2-21(b) says "Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana."

This was the first time I ever heard any suggestion that Indiana was only going to honor resident permits from other States.

Is this a change...or is the fellow that told me this mistaken.

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 5:45:08 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

or is the fellow that told me this mistaken.

dingdingdingding! We have a winner!
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:39:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

or is the fellow that told me this mistaken.

dingdingdingding! We have a winner!

I concur.  From what I understand, Indiana honors any permit from out of state, provided the person carrying it is not a resident of Indiana.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:49:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Iirc Indiana as with most other states only honor another states permit if that state honors Indiana. Reciprocityhe
That being said find out who issues out of state handgun permits(possibly Utah or your state of choice) and see if they are honored by Indiana. A quick phone call to a local sheriff or more likely the Indiana state police should be all you need to find this out.

If you are travelling in or through Illinois with a handgun or any other weapon that is well a whole nother can of worms.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:41:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I f you do not reside in IN, you can carry on any license issued anywhere in the world! Maybe what they were thinking was something along the lines of; since FL doesn't honor non resident permits, we won't honor non resident FL permits. Since we honor them w/ whatever restrictions they are issued (controversey on this as well) I could see how they would think that, but I don't believe they are correct. My $.02 worth.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:34:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I forget which of Kirk's Laws of the Internet apply to this specific item, but I know that at least one of them does!

I'd also like to add that the term "reciprocity" is not applicable to Indiana.  Reciprocity implies a "back and forth" (mutual) agreement between two parties.  Some states do in fact engage in reciprocal agreements to honor each other's carry licenses.  Indiana has zero such agreements (they would be redundant).  All carry licenses and permits issued by state and foreign governments are valid in Indiana under Indiana law (as quoted), which is a unilateral decision.  It makes no difference whether or not another state or country reciprocates in some way, our law is still the way it is.

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 1:15:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:53:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Reading the law how it is written is definitely not my strong point.
Upon re-reading rhino_ looks to have it right.
The information my assumption was baed onh.gif for reciprocity was based off information obtained from the internet sometime ago when trying to find information on where I could and couldn't carry hence the disclaimer

There is currently another post in the Indiana forum dealing w/ Ohio carry where people suggested getting an Utah ccw. Here, 3/4 down

Edited:Opera is weird
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top