Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2007 2:04:30 AM EDT
Is an auto knife (Microtech Halo for example) legal under any circumstance?
I thought if you had your conceal carry permit, you could carry one.  BUT....I'm being told that is not true and in fact, highly illegal.

What's the real deal?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:16:52 AM EDT
[#1]
IC 35-47-5-2
Knife with blade that opens automatically or may be propelled
    Sec. 2. It is a Class B misdemeanor for a person to manufacture, possess, display, offer, sell, lend, give away, or purchase any knife with a blade that:
       (1) opens automatically; or
       (2) may be propelled;
by hand pressure applied to a button, device containing gas, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife.
As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.70-2000, SEC.2.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:30:17 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
IC 35-47-5-2
    Sec. 2. It is a Class B misdemeanor for a person to manufacture, possess, display, offer, sell, lend, give away, or purchase any knife with a blade that:
       (2) may be propelled;
by hand pressure applied to a button, device containing gas, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife.

So.....if I have my carry permit I can stuff a MP5k under my jacket.

BUT, I can't have an auto knife in my pocket?

If this is the case, I'm asking you guys for telephone numbers and email addys to each and every person responsible for this.
almost forgot:
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:15:54 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
IC 35-47-5-2
       (2) may be propelled;

That is the real key, speed assist knives where your finger pushes on the blade itself are not bad.  I looked at a video of the halo III, it loooks like a full bown stilleto.

Yeah, and no cut down shotguns either.  Go figure?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:35:44 AM EDT
[#4]

Yeah, and no cut down shotguns either.  Go figure?

The one exception by technicality on the SBS is the Street Sweeper.  Since the Feds were kind enough to declare them "Destructive Devices", you can have your registered DD with any length barrel.

Doesn't make sense on the SBS or Auto knives considering the other items the state allows.  Some idiot probably committed a crime with them and the media ran with it.  Then Mr. Politician changed the law to "Protect the Children"  

I thought I also read somewhere that the Kung Fu throwing stars are illegal here. Gotta watch out for the kids.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:05:01 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Is an auto knife (Microtech Halo for example) legal under any circumstance?
I thought if you had your conceal carry permit, you could carry one.  BUT....I'm being told that is not true and in fact, highly illegal.

What's the real deal?

I think you are thinking of Kentucky's law.  I'm pretty sure they are legal to carry there with a personal protection permit.

Yes, it is just dumb as hell.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:51:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I was under the impression that since the 80's auto knives have been illegal for non-military/police in all but a couple states.

Here's the law on throwing stars by the way:

IC 35-47-5-12
"Chinese throwing star" defined; related offenses
    Sec. 12. (a) A person who:
       (1) manufactures;
       (2) causes to be manufactured;
       (3) imports into Indiana;
       (4) keeps for sale;
       (5) offers or exposes for sale; or
       (6) gives, lends, or possesses;
a Chinese throwing star commits a Class C misdemeanor.
   (b) As used in this section, "Chinese throwing star" means a throwing-knife, throwing-iron, or other knife-like weapon with blades set at different angles.
As added by P.L.318-1985, SEC.2.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:55:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I have hated this knife law for a long time. When I was younger, I started a knife collection with knifes that were handed down to me from my grandpa, my uncles, my dad, etc. In that collection I had numerous "switch blades" or "auto knifes" I also had a huge collection of throwing stars. <sighs>
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:06:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Not that I agree but banning auto knifes makes more sens the the "evil" bayonet lug the did away with for 10 years.  I read the the military is doing away with the bayonet lug on some M16s since no one has used one in 50 years.  I guess the ban did cut down on drive by bayonettings though.

Some of the logic could be that it is considered an offensive weapon instead of defensive.  You can not have a billy club in your car either.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:00:36 PM EDT
[#9]
These laws are too funny!!!!
I can't stop laughing!!!!
I had an idea about the auto knifes, but the "Chinese throwing stars" cracks me up badly!!!

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:36:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
These laws are too funny!!!!
I can't stop laughing!!!!
I had an idea about the auto knifes, but the "Chinese throwing stars" cracks me up badly!!!

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

stoyan79...You ought to be ashamed! Someone could put an eye out with one of those things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:46:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Some of the troopers at my post got days off without pay for having auto opening knives a few years ago.  Our LT also tried to get them prosecuted criminally!
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 9:13:03 PM EDT
[#12]
ouch, bet if the LT ever has to call for backup he gets a really slow response
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 1:34:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Walking away from a hell of a deal because of this law.
I'm still pissed.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 2:22:12 PM EDT
[#14]
height=8
Quoted:
Not that I agree but banning auto knifes makes more sens the the "evil" bayonet lug the did away with for 10 years.  I read the the military is doing away with the bayonet lug on some M16s since no one has used one in 50 years.  I guess the ban did cut down on drive by bayonettings though.

Some of the logic could be that it is considered an offensive weapon instead of defensive.  You can not have a billy club in your car either.

I am unfamiliar with any law that states you can't have a billy club in your car.  Is that an Indiana law?
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 2:55:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I thought LE and mil personnel as well as firefighters were allowed auto knives in indiana. How did the troopers get in trouble for this? I don't see the exemptions in the law snipet here so maybe I am mistaken.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 3:15:52 PM EDT
[#16]
What about a baseball bat???
I always have one in my car???
I drive to Chicago few times per week and they don't allow guns there .... so I have a baseball bat

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am unfamiliar with any law that states you can't have a billy club in your car.  Is that an Indiana law?
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 6:22:22 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I thought LE and mil personnel as well as firefighters were allowed auto knives in indiana. How did the troopers get in trouble for this? I don't see the exemptions in the law snipet here so maybe I am mistaken.

As far as I know, there are no state exemptions for LE/Firefighters in Indiana for carrying auot opening knives.

As far as carrying a ball bat or club in your car, there are no laws that I know of concerning those.  It will only be when you "use" them that they become a weapon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top