Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2007 1:56:22 PM EDT
Just moved here a few weeks ago for a job. Live in Mishawaka, St. Joseph county. Anything that I should be aware of? Is there anything like that POS FOID that I have had to carry for 10 years? I am considering getting my CCW once I have lived here for long enough.

Thanks everyone,

Dave

(Former resident of ILL Annoy)
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:02:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:27:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome to a better place!  I love it here (move over from IL in March).  So far I have found nothing that was better in IL than it is here.  The only thing I miss is a few select restraurants, but I can always drive back once in a while to eat.  

You should go apply for your lifetime carry permit.  Even if you don't plan to carry, it's great to be able to do so anytime you wish.  I did it at my local police station.  They only do it one day per week, so I had to take a vaction day, but it's well worth it.  Free to carry until the day I die.  Gotta love it!  

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:57:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Welcome to Indiana!  I love it here!  Second to ILAK, I moved here in February for a job, but still work in Illinois.  I can't believe how peaceful it is here.  There really are no traffic issues (but Portage seems to be growing...) like there are in Illinois.  There are still open fields and forests, which I'm surprised to see.  Its nice to see land that hasn't been developed yet, but I'm sure that will change in the future, however.  But, for now, I'm enjoying it.  Could use a year round warm climate, but with all the guns I can have here, cheaper cost of living, I'll put up with the weather.  I've been looking for a house since May, and I just can't believe what $80,000 will buy!  Its just unheard of.  You can't get anything anywhere in the Chicago area for under $100k unless its a cardboard box!

If you have any questions, or need anything, come on back here and ask!  All the people here are awesome!

Again, welcome home!

Erick
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:02:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Dave,

Welcome to Mishawaka, I like it here.  Sometime, when you have a LOT of free time, you need to go to Len's gun store on South Michigan in South Bend.  It is an experience.  He is a good guy (I think), but he tends to get worked up and talk forever.

Good luck and get your CCW.

Lacey
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 3:42:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! It's only been a few weeks, and I really like it here. Everyone is really friendly.

I do plan on getting my lifetime CCW. Thank god for free states!

At last, no more Blago and no more Daley. I hope those two get indicted, and soon!

One thing I do miss from IL is the cost of license plates. That excise tax is a bear! But then again, with cheaper gas and everything else, I'm still spending less than when I was in the P.R.I.

Dave
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:14:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep, the license plate fees do suck. Amazingly they used to be more. Indiana is not perfect, but I'd take it over IL anyday.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:06:16 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Yep, the license plate fees do suck. Amazingly they used to be more. Indiana is not perfect, but I'd take it over IL anyday.

+1.

Welcome to IN
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 3:59:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Welcome, I live in Granger, right up the street from Mishawaka. When you get the chance, try checking out Midwest Gun Exchange, on Lincolnway West. Much better than Len" Guns, in my opinion. Better group of guys to deal with at Midwest. Enjoy Indiana!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top