Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2007 3:43:58 PM EDT
ISP was out in force today and I saw more than usual on my trip back to southern IN from northern IN.  I have not yet interacted with ISP since I have started CCW.  My interactions with my local PD have been good.  I am a careful driver and do not speed, but all the ISP folk made me wonder.

Any general opinions on ISP and CCW, say during traffic stops?
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:25:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I know several ISP Troopers, and all are very professional. The few that I know are gun enthusiasts and they understand that there are plenty of CCW'ers out there. After all, ISP is the agency that issues the licenses.

YMMV: My experience is with the 4 or 5 Troopers that I know, there are hundreds of them but I'm sure others can chime in w/ their experiences.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:30:02 PM EDT
[#2]
IME rcoers is absolutely right. The higher up the food chain, usually the more professional they are.

No offense meant to small town cops, but I live in what used to be a smaller town and next to me are towns with just a "constable" so I do deal with them. And I have a few family members that are deputies, and friends that are IPD. A close friend of the family was a former ISP "Director" or whatever his title was, he was the top dog.

The small towns then up to the city cops its a 50/50 at best dealing with an officer that exercises common sense in the extreme situations. Again, no offense, just my take. They are also usually the less expierenced too. Our County sheriffs (Morgan) are pretty good and easy to deal with, and most are into and have a good general gun knowledge.

My wife worked as the court clerk years ago and I knew every town cop back then and most of the areas ISP and MCS and we can tell you some stories. Mooresville was known for some "Keystone Cops" back then. Squad cars run off into ponds, lost sidearms etc..... But having said that, some of them were really good to, but maybe because we knew them also. And my family owns a few businesses in town and maybe thats worth something too.

Once a "new" officer in town pulled my bro-in-law and I over after seeing his pistol as he got in my truck. It was a full felony stop after two other cars joined in. You know, over the loud speaker, hands out the window, back up to me and then lay down. They were so nervous and kept asking where the safeties were, we both had Glocks and I also had a snub revolver. It was late '80s and they had probably never seen a Glock before. They still carried S&W wheelguns. And I was fresh out the service and may have had a little attitude also.

They had a good laugh when one of the later arriving officers seen it was me and they told my wife about it and elaborated that I had "burglery tools" in the truck.

Anyhow, I usually breathe easier when its a County or State level officer that I have to explain things to and show my CCW.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:11:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I am in mooresville and the ones I know here are pretty good guys.
but I guess it is all dependent on the individual.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:24:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a couple of them that have been in to my Body Shop for repairs on their cruizers.
They always talk to me about their carry guns and one even showed off his brand new Nighthawak customm back up gun!!!

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:55:26 PM EDT
[#5]
The local troopers that I have become acquainted with are fellow gun nut's. There was a wreck that ended up in front yard a couple months ago. Pouring down rain, 1 AM so I had them come inside while waiting for the wrecker to show up. Started talking about Patrol rifles and the G22 problems, back up knives and BUG's, Surefires etc. Pretty soon my AR's are out and being passed around. We had an AR Vs Mini discussion. . Really good experience. They come across as extremely professional but confidently relaxed and friendly.  Hopefully INTrooper4255 can cast some light on this subject.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:33:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
ISP was out in force today and I saw more than usual on my trip back to southern IN from northern IN.  I have not yet interacted with ISP since I have started CCW.  My interactions with my local PD have been good.  I am a careful driver and do not speed, but all the ISP folk made me wonder.

Any general opinions on ISP and CCW, say during traffic stops?

An older tropper stopped me for speeding on 65 several years ago while I was driving  my POV. I had my duty pistol in plain view on the center console & he just asked if I had my permit. I said no & he finds out I'm a fellow LEO. He gave me the friendly pat & "well get outta here then" as he prepared to walk back to his unit. I have a feeling this particular trooper would have been just as nice & professional (a trait that is not particular to troopers alone, but we won't get into that debate) had I not been a LEO as long as everything was kosher.

I wouldn't sweat it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:52:36 PM EDT
[#7]
There are four kinds of cops regardless of their branch:  The ones I have known all my life and love guns.  The ones I met while partcipatiing in various shooting sports and love guns.  The ones who are family and love guns.  The ones who you meet along the way in life who ask to see your gun because they love guns.

The others are like ghosts to me, I may have met them but I really don't remember them.

All of them will get evil if you call them a pig and tell them to mind their own business.

Actually there are 5 kinds, counting those that drive into ponds or really fast in reverse, wreck and get busted by the ISP when their story does not "mesh" with the physical evidence at the scene. I guess Impala speedo's worked in reverese?  

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:53:44 PM EDT
[#8]
You won't have any problems, your legal to carry and that is all that matters.  If your stopped, Just tell the troop that you have a firearm in the car/on your person and he/she will more than likely ask next to see your permit.  Some of the troops for piece of mind may ask you to come back to the car with them while they take action on the observed violation (if the gun is in the car lets say) to seperate you from it while on the stop, then send you on your way.  Most of the troops that I know are going to be pro 2nd Amend. and won't give you a hard time.  That's not saying that there aren't a few bone heads out there!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top