Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2006 6:24:46 PM EDT
CLAY CITY, Ind. -- A pipe bomb exploded and instantly killed a Brazil man who may have intended to use the device to stun fish, authorities said.

The body of Paul Lynch, 31, was found early Saturday by friends who had been searching for him since the prior evening.

"A shrapnel piece from the bomb ... passed through Lynch's heart, killing him instantly," Clay County Coroner Rick Swearingen said.

Lynch had been fishing alone in Birch Creek near Clay City, about 60 miles southwest of Indianapolis, and had two of the homemade bombs with him. Bomb technicians from the Indiana State Police Bomb Squad defused the remaining pipe bomb, which was made from a steel pipe.

The pipe bomb may have been intended to be used to stun fish in the creek, Clay County Sheriff Mike Heaton said
Link Posted: 8/6/2006 6:27:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Darwin Award?
Link Posted: 8/6/2006 6:40:10 PM EDT
[#2]
That's what I was thinking. Does this "style" of fishing ever end successfully (besides the cartoons)?
Link Posted: 8/7/2006 6:27:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
That's what I was thinking. Does this "style" of fishing ever end successfully (besides the cartoons)?

It must, otherwise there would be more dead fisherman floating around?

Wonder why he used a metal pipe?  Shrapnel does no good on fish, all he needed was the concussion of a blast.  Oh that's right, he was dumbass.  Answered my own question.

Link Posted: 8/7/2006 1:51:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Call me old-fashioned; but I like to use a rod, reel, and a lure. Pipe bombs kind of take the sport out of it
Link Posted: 8/7/2006 6:39:00 PM EDT
[#5]
"Hey ya'll.....watch this!"
Link Posted: 8/8/2006 11:25:35 PM EDT
[#6]
A net is more productive and you can pitch back smaller ones. I suppose he'll have a good story to tell on the other side. "It was one hell of a fish!..."

Link Posted: 8/8/2006 11:55:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:42:15 PM EDT
[#8]
He must have been fishing his pipe bomb dry.  A gentleman only fishes his pipe bomb wet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top