Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/31/2006 5:57:47 PM EDT
Has anyone shot here? I was thinking of trying it out since Atterbury is closed. Black rifle friendly? Distances? Etc. Etc Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:55:20 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Has anyone shot here? I was thinking of trying it out since Atterbury is closed. Black rifle friendly? Distances? Etc. Etc Any info would be greatly appreciated.

You're talking about the Wilbur Wright DNR range, yeah?  I've shot there a few times, most recently was about a year ago. It's split into two sides, one is 25yd and one is 50yd. There are shooting benches provided, as well as target backers, but you have to bring your own targets, staple gun, etc. No overhead cover at all (a concern if it's hot/sunny out), and no toilet facilities. Black rifles are fine, but occasionally a Park Ranger will come by to make sure everyone shooting has signed in, and is being safe. They may not take kindly to bump-firing; otherwise no problems.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:33:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I shoot there pretty regularly... Not very good... But it's free... So that makes it "good 'nuff".
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:50:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I used to shoot there quite a bit until a jioned FCVCC.  The lack of 100yrd range kinda sucks.  But free is free........
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:16:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I've only been there once.  Another board member and I had more ARs than pistols, but no one frowned upon that.  Unlike Atterbury, you can shoot ARs at the 25-yard range.  I also liked how quiet it was.  With Atterbury being closed, however, I suspect it will be more crowded this year.  

I have been trying to go there for the past few weekends, but I keep getting caught up in other stuff.  I will try to get out there this weekend.  

There was another thread about this range last year.  I can't search that far back, but you might.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:18:41 PM EDT
[#5]
It is fine, but Brookville smokes it and goes 100 yards.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:17:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Where are you driving from?

I went to the Wilbur Wright range quite a lot last year and the year before, but I got a membership to the Monroe Township club back in January, which is a little closer than half way between Muncie and Wilbur Wright.

Wilbur Wright is free, but from my experience, the people that go there aren't exactly safe. There's no real RO to regulate the range, which creates does create some close calls.

The DNR guy(s) that hang around are pretty cool though, and I haven't had an experience that would say they aren't Black Rifle friendly. The Fudds however will give you some odd looks, but there probably won't be that many at this time of year.

There's a really nice club in Jonesboro that has a 250yd range, but I've got no idea what the dues are. And Monroe, which I belong to, has a 100yd range.

If you do go to Wilbur Wright, make sure you keep the card on you until you leave.

www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/publications/wilbur.htm

archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=30&t=205359

ETA: Keep an eye out for "Glock-boy" and some dude that opens fire on a cold range while you're walking back from checking a target. They suck.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:56:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info. I'd be coming from Indy. My trip to Atterbury was about an hour, but I think New Castle would be just a bit longer. My options are kind of limited at the moment. What is the easiest way to get there from I-70?

Would the RO mind if I put up clay pigeons on the 50 yard line, or do they only allow paper targets?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:30:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info. I'd be coming from Indy. My trip to Atterbury was about an hour, but I think New Castle would be just a bit longer. My options are kind of limited at the moment. What is the easiest way to get there from I-70?

The address is: 2239 N. State Road 103, New Castle, IN 47362. Take I70 East to State Road 3 and go North. Go all the way up through New Castle to CR 200N/200W and go East. You'll pass by the New Castle Correctional Facility and come to a 3-way stop. This is SR 103, go North about 600yd and it's on your right. It's right across the road from some DNR building.

Would the RO mind if I put up clay pigeons on the 50 yard line, or do they only allow paper targets?
I've seen chunks of clay pigeons there before on the backstops, so yes unless that has changed in the past year or two. They will NOT, however, allow ANY metal to be downrange.

Have fun!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 2:54:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I went to Wilbur Wright this past Saturday.  It was more crowded than I would have preferred, but I had a good time nonetheless.  Also, the RO was very amicable and black-rifle friendly.  I actually like it better than Atterbury.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top