Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2006 5:54:43 AM EDT
Ok Hoosiers, I am filling out a form1 to build a SBR. I have a pretty good idea on what I have to do. Now here are my final questions. Finger print cards, 1) I leave in Marion Cnty, do I just need to go to the permit desk at the city county building to get these done. 2) Cleo signoff; what is the best way to get this accomplished. I have a contact for the Cheif for the Cumberland Police dpt. and Lawrence PD.  would these Cheifs be acceptable to the ATF.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:09:23 AM EDT
[#1]
If you live outside of city limits, your CLEO will be the Sheriff of Marion County. If you live inside of city limits, I'm pretty sure that you can use either the Chief of Police for that city or the Sheriff, whichever is easier.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:33:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks M4Madness, It is still a little vague. Here is what I mean, See, both Cheifs (Lawrence PD & Cumberland PD) are in Marion Cnty. However, both are on the eastside Indy. I live on the westside of Indy. I probably just answered my own question. Here is the deal, I and the company I work for have a great relationship with the CLEO of Lawrence, Cumberland and Beech Grove. Usually have a monthly meeting with them all at least once month, so having one them sign off would not be an issue at all. However, the CLEO of Marion Cnty. is really not very accessable due to "deputy chiefs that are asshats" that make him very unaccessable. I need for somebody local to chime in. M4Madness if I remember correctly you reside a little south of  Indy and probably have a CLEO that is more accessable. But thanks for the response. As always when it comes to NFA questions you seem to know the ropes. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:03:48 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
However, the CLEO of Marion Cnty. is really not very accessable due to "deputy chiefs that are asshats" that make him very unaccessable. I need for somebody local to chime in.

The Marion County Sheriff signs off on NFA items, I've just heard that it takes around two weeks. Shooter521 comes to mind when I think of a Marion County resident who goes the individual transfer route (sorry ViperEH, you're corporate ). Maybe he or someone else can give you specifics.

M4Madness if I remember correctly you reside a little south of  Indy and probably have a CLEO that is more accessable. But thanks for the response. As always when it comes to NFA questions you seem to know the ropes. Thanks again.

I'm near Bedford, which is around 75 miles south of Indy. Our sheriff signs immediately on the spot. As for knowing the NFA ropes, I've had a little practice. Which reminds me -- it's about time to make another NFA purchase, as I haven't made one for about a year.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:20:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks M4Madness, I do hope Shooter521 chimes in. Maybe I need to check into the corporate route. 2 weeks seems like a hassle. But ya gotta do what ya gotta do to stay within the law.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:50:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The Marion County Sheriff signs off on NFA items, I've just heard that it takes around two weeks. Shooter521 comes to mind when I think of a Marion County resident who goes the individual transfer route (sorry ViperEH, you're corporate ). Maybe he or someone else can give you specifics.

If you have your local chief sign the form, you won't know if there's a problem until it gets kicked back by ATF after weeks of waiting, so IMO it's best to go with the person you know ATF will recognize as the CLEO in your jurisdiction. If you reside within Marion County, that person is the Marion County Sheriff. The procedure for getting the sign-off is simple, but takes a little time due to the bureaucracy downtown.

Take your completed Form 1s with photographs attached along with the two FBI print cards down to the Citizens Services desk @ the City-County Building, and tell them you need to have ATF forms that need to be signed by the Sheriff.

If the clerks are savvy, they will give you an IPD background check form and an in-house fingerprint card to fill out, and once that's done they will take 3 sets of prints (1 IPD, 2 ATF). If they're not savvy, you'll have to tell them what you need; the background check is included in the Form 1 process, so don't let them try to charge you for it separately.

After the prints are taken, you pay them their fee ($9.00 or $10.00, IIRC - cash only) and take back the two completed ATF print cards. They will send the remaining paperwork down to have the background check run and then forward it to the Sheriff or his designee for the signature. I always leave them a self-addressed stamped envelope and instruct them to mail the forms back to me once they're approved. I also give them a phone number where I can be reached in the event of a problem.

It usually takes about 2 weeks to get the signed forms back, but I've done four of 'em now and I've never had a problem. If you do, call the Firearms Section and ask for Sandra Cottey; she "knows what time it is" and will be quite willing and able to help out.

HTH!

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:31:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks Shooter521, Very detailed and to the point.  That is exactly what I needed. I knew Sandra Cottey was involved with the "permit" desk. My boss knows the Cottey's very well. May see if he can pull some strings to help the process move a little faster. Again, Thanks for the info. bigcraig
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top