Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2006 4:55:45 AM EDT
Deadly force restrictions loosened under measure.

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Residents would have a stronger right to use deadly force against intruders under a bill in the Indiana General Assembly.

Under House Bill 1028, residents would not have a duty to retreat before using deadly force to defend themselves or their home. Similar language is contained in Senate Bill 54.

"This says you can use deadly force if you deem it appropriate," said state Sen. Johnny Nugent, R-Lawrenceburg, who is sponsoring the bill in the Senate. "It puts in statute what courts have been doing already."

Specifically, the bill states that a person can use deadly force without first retreating "if the person reasonably believes that force is necessary to prevent serious bodily injury to the person or a third person or the commission of a forcible felony."

The Senate version of the bill also contains a provision that would make Indiana gun permits good for life, rather than the current four years.

Gun owners still would have to pass a police background check and keep their fingerprints on file.

"The Second Amendment gives law-abiding citizens the right to own and possess a gun, and the current process is an undue burden," said the bill's sponsor, Rep. Troy Woodruff, R-Vincennes. "This way you would get your license once, and as long as you are in good standing you keep it."

Fees for the one-time permit would be $125, $100 higher than the current level. Applicants could apply over the Internet directly to the state police instead of having to go through their local law enforcement agency.

Allen County Sheriff Jim Herman opposes the change, saying the four-year system helps ensure that gun permits are revoked when people run afoul of the law.

"But honestly I think it's a good idea to do it every four years," said Herman. "It affords us the opportunity to review things every once in a while. I think it is prudent."

State police spokesman Steve Hillman said the agency continually runs new convictions against the gun licensing database to make sure permits are revoked when necessary.

Gov. Mitch Daniels has said he would sign the bill.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:53:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I think raising the initial handgun license fee is a really bad idea, and would act as a deterent for young people and the poor. The bill should allow for an option between a lifetime license and the current system. Or better yet, leave the fees the same. After all, we all paying a fee for what is a natural right.

If any changes should be made to the handgun licensing laws, it should be applicants being run through NCIC.  From what I understand, if the ISP ran applicants through NCIC, license holders could avoid the Insta-Check "insta-registration" process when purchasing firearms.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:01:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Allen County Sheriff Jim Herman opposes the change, saying the four-year system helps ensure that gun permits are revoked when people run afoul of the law.

Of course he does..because he will lose out on the fee that the departments collect everytime you renew..

For a lifetime permit..hell yea I would pay $125..
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:51:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I think raising the initial handgun license fee is a really bad idea, and would act as a deterent for young people and the poor. The bill should allow for an option between a lifetime license and the current system. Or better yet, leave the fees the same. After all, we all paying a fee for what is a natural right.

If any changes should be made to the handgun licensing laws, it should be applicants being run through NCIC.  From what I understand, if the ISP ran applicants through NCIC, license holders could avoid the Insta-Check "insta-registration" process when purchasing firearms.

I believe we will still have the option for lifetime or the current 4 year license (if I have read everything correct). The current 4 year permit will raise in price from $15 to $30 dollars. The online renewal is a big thing for folks who have problems with Local LEO sign off for their permits. I've heard horror stories of some counties having to wait mths with no word on their permit.
There is alot of good things in this bill. You may now apply 180 days out from your expiration date, compared to 30 days before. It also requires the state to participate in the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) for firearms sales if federal funds are available.
This bill has passed folks, it needs a governors signature and he has said he WILL sign it.  Wait for the ceremonial signing. I think it is going to be big! Indiana has made history, it's something the rest of the states need to follow suit on now.

Hearing updates 2-15-06

SB 54
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:22:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the clarification. I hadn't read the bill only the article in the paper.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top