Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2006 7:13:28 PM EDT
Me and the g/f will be taking some vacation time in Indiana to escape the draconian flatland known as Illinois.  First time I have had vacation in four years, first time she has ever gone on a "real" vacation since she was a kid.

We'll be hitting Turkey Run state park for a few days, then making our way to the Econo Lodge in Indy and spending Friday and Saturday at the gun show...maybe even a bit of Sunday if we are still up for it.

BTW, I took a wild stab at a place close by the fairgrounds that had a reconginzable name- i.e Econo Lodge- anyone knows of a better place for $60 or less a night that is close to the show, let me know!  Hot tubs/indoor pools would be a big plus! Oh, and if the Econo lodge is in a "bad" area, please let me know, although I can't imagine that Indy has any areas that compare to the south side of Chicago!

Damn, I am excited.  I get to go hiking, I get to spend money on guns, and the girlfriend thinks it is the best vacation idea ever!

And lastly- what is the entrance fee for the gun show?  I couldn't find it posted anywhere!

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:07:30 PM EDT
[#1]
You're coming to indy to escape flat land??

Any place around the fairgrounds is a bad area

ETA: I think the entrance fee is somewhere around $8 but I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:38:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Nix the econo rob.  Try some of the hotels on the southside if your coming in that way like in Southport/Greenwood. Much better.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:23:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Turkey Run is a cool place if you like to hike!  Shades State Park is another good place for similar activities and it's not far from Turkey Run.

In Indy, I'd stay near Michigan and 86th.  There is a nice Holiday Inn there with a kick-a** breakfast buffet, plus some other options like Indy Suites and a couple of others.  It's right by I-465 at the Michigan Road exit.  It's far enough from the nastiness of the fairgrounds area, but close enough to not be a burden to get there.  Plus every restaurant chain known to mankind exists in that area.

And Indiana is freakin' mountainous compared to the really flat parts of Illinois!  We have TREES!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:24:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh ... and if you haven't done so already, you still have time to acquire a carry license from another state like Florida so you can carry legally while you're here.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:17:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
BTW, I took a wild stab at a place close by the fairgrounds that had a reconginzable name- i.e Econo Lodge- anyone knows of a better place for $60 or less a night that is close to the show, let me know!  Hot tubs/indoor pools would be a big plus! Oh, and if the Econo lodge is in a "bad" area, please let me know, although I can't imagine that Indy has any areas that compare to the south side of Chicago!

The intersection of Fall Creek and  38th street is considered one of the most dangerous intersections in Indy.  Both for wrecks and BS in general.

60 blocks north is another world and only 10 minutes away from the show/fair grounds via Binford Blvd. (HWY 37 to those of us who refuse to adapt!)

go here and type in Indianapolis www.holiday-inn.com

#5 is about 15 minutes away, #10 is about 10 minutes. On A Saturday, maybe even less!  Just go down Binford Blvd to 38th street.  #4 is the one rhino mentioned, not cheap due to new indoor water park.  5 & 10 score you bonus points when you tire of the show due to being near other shopping and things the GF may appreciate.

If you want to score serious bonus booty points and still only be minutes away from the gun show, try to find a deal at any of these.  But booty costs more than $60 in Indy.  In my case I always go for the booty first and cut back in other parts of my budget.

www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/index.jhtml;jsessionid=4OOQQV13J1BPMCSGBIVMVCQKIYFC3UUC?ctyhocn=INDINHF

marriott.com/property/propertypage/INDNO

The Sheraton on the north side is cool too

a little cheaper
marriott.com/property/propertypage/INDCS

These are all places/areas that are safer and used for more than a 1 hour bump and grind session or rooms packed full of migrant workers.  If you want cheap in Indy just look up the Dollar Inn and have at it!  I say go for the booty points.

You can forget downtown in March!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:40:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Do not stay near the fairgrounds. It is a first-class dump.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:21:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys, I'll cancel my ereservation and get one where you recommended.

No way to know unless you ask...which is why I did!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:15:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't call the hotels for reservations, use priceline.com.  Choose a 3 or 4 star hotel in the downtown area.  Chances are, you'll get a great hotel smack dab in the middle of one of the nicest downtown areas in the country for less than $75/night & have a great time also.  You can do even better on the north side.  A better gun show would be to visit the many fine dealers that are in the area.  Skip the 1500-take the girlfriend to one or more of the many fine eating/drinking establishments that Indy has to offer.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:24:29 AM EDT
[#9]
INDY 1500-------what a great choice for a vacation
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:39:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Having been to the 1500, I wouldn't build an out-of-town vacation around it.  

But I've used less as an excuse for an out-of-town-and-away-from-the-baby weekend with the wife...
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:40:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Having been to the 1500, I wouldn't build an out-of-town vacation around it.  

But I've used less as an excuse for an out-of-town-and-away-from-the-baby weekend with the wife...

If any of you think the 1500 is a "blah" gunshow, then you have no idea what an Illinois gunshow is like.  200 tables is a HUGE show where I live, and you can't even take a firearm home with you thanks to the IL gun laws...you pay for it, then have to go pick it up 24-72 hours later(!)

Besides, the real vacation is going to Turkey Run.  And if anyone can suggest some night time attractions for when the show is closed, I would appreciate it!  Oh yea, any neat gun stores, ranges, etc. would also be nice to know about...a DL should get us in anywhere, right?  Holy Sh**, IN is calss III legal isn't it???
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:17:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Okay, I'll bite.

What are "booty points"?

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:50:33 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Okay, I'll bite.

What are "booty points"?

They are like Tokens at Chucky Cheese.  You rack up booty points by being good, then you cash them in.  The more booty points you have earned, the more booty you can get!  Chucky Cheese is more than just pizza, it's training for real life.  

Except for the dumbass who has to wear the mouse costume.  His life just sucks and he most likely does not even have a girl friend.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:51:22 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Okay, I'll bite.

What are "booty points"?

They are like Tokens at Chucky Cheese.  You rack up booty points by being good, then you cash them in.  The more booty points you have earned, the more booty you can get!  Chucky Cheese is more than just pizza, it's training for real life.  

Except for the dumbass who has to wear the mouse costume.  His life just sucks and he most likely does not even have a girl friend.

I don't need "booty points" as the machine is set on "free play" all the time!

BTW, looks like the Holiday Inn is the place we'll be going...indoor pool (we are both big into swimming) and Jacuzzi suites, woot!

She laughed at the "near shopping" part when I showed her this thread last night, as she isn't that kind of girl- going to the gunshow for vacation was HER idea!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:05:11 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Oh yea, any neat gun stores, ranges, etc. would also be nice to know about...a DL should get us in anywhere, right?  Holy Sh**, IN is calss III legal isn't it???

Class III is legal in IN.  I think Pop Guns on the east side has MG rentals.  Don't go to any of the Don's Guns ranges.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:03:05 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Oh yea, any neat gun stores, ranges, etc. would also be nice to know about...a DL should get us in anywhere, right?  Holy Sh**, IN is calss III legal isn't it???

Class III is legal in IN.  I think Pop Guns on the east side has MG rentals.  Don't go to any of the Don's Guns ranges.  

Could you possibly get me some contact info?  Thanks!

Dawg
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:10:23 AM EDT
[#17]
pop guns #
(317) 897-8660
30 S Post Rd
Indianapolis
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:43:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Okay, I'll bite.

What are "booty points"?

rhino--- You must be single. This is has been a long time tradition with couples. Kinda alike, you scratch my back I'll scratch yours, only with a points system.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:44:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
rhino--- You must be single. This is has been a long time tradition with couples. Kinda alike, you scratch my back I'll scratch yours, only with a points system.

I'm not only single, I like a monk.

I'm about the thickness of the jacket on an M193 bullet away from becoming a priest, but I'm too wicked and vile for the super powers to "take."  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:00:39 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Okay, I'll bite.

What are "booty points"?

No shit man.  And watch out for "requests" during sex.  You are at your weakest and will agree to all kinds of stupid stuff.  I can honestly say I enjoy being single again. Nothing wrong with a good realtionship, it just pays to be on the same page!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:04:00 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
She laughed at the "near shopping" part when I showed her this thread last night, as she isn't that kind of girl- going to the gunshow for vacation was HER idea!

Am I the only reading this correctly?  Bring her Sisters, Cousins, distant cousins, hell even her Mom!  At 42 I can date a wide range of ages and still be legal.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:56:52 AM EDT
[#23]
You should also go to Elmore's on the southside of Indianapolis, technically Greenwood.  Lot's of black rifle disease fodder there!  
mappoint.msn.com/(srj0vn3zapndnl454jt2tj3f)/directions.aspx?&EndName=520+N+SR-135%2c+Greenwood%2c+IN+46142&EndLocation=39.60764,-86.15861&StartName=S+Emerson+Ave%2c+Indianapolis%2c+IN+46219&StartLocation=39.76037%2c-86.08298&DataSetLangID=USA&RouteType=Quickest&RouteUnit=Miles

I hope that works.  It's a few miles south of Indy, in a strip mall behind a Mike's Car Wash.

Also try Albro's Gun Store.  It is at Emerson Ave and I465, on the Southeast side.  Just one block from the exit.

+1 on not staying near the Fairgrounds.  Bad area!

Here are a few winter scenes from Turkey Run to whet your appetite!

Just some cool icicles.

That's me, right in the center of the pic.

The wife and the dog.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:46:26 PM EDT
[#24]
+1 To echo everything the Zoubmeister has already said.  I personally would stay in the Castleton area (86th and Allisonville, 86th and I69).  It's a damn near straight shot from there to the fairgrounds, has tons and tons of restaurants, and is a helluva lot cleaner than that shithole Econo Lodge (which really isn't much closer to the fairgrounds than Castleton is).  There's a mall nearby, a Wally world just up in Fishers (I69 and 96th), and that corner of the city will get you anywhere else in the city you need to go.

Show fees are $8 per person and $3 to park if you park inside the fairgrounds.  Pay the $3 and park inside since you're on vacation
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:01:04 PM EDT
[#25]
The Indiana War Memorial/Museum is rather impressive. Right downtown, just north of the Circle, on Meridian St. Open 9a-5p, Fri. - Sun. Closed Mon. It's free and parking is free weekends. There are other Memorials, you can get info on them there.

http://www.in.gov/iwm/historical/
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:52:57 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Am I the only reading this correctly?  Bring her Sisters, Cousins, distant cousins, hell even her Mom!  At 42 I can date a wide range of ages and still be legal.

I'll be your wingman!  

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:18:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Thanks to all.  Very helpful!

We have decided to 'wing it' on accomodations on Indy for the moment as we may or may not stay for two days of the show.  Just depends on how much my bank account survives and what is there.  Most my fellow flatlanders said it is like gun heaven compared to our IL shows, so it may be worth the 2 day stay.

Sorry, she has 3 sisters and tehy are all married. Mom is happily married too.  I got the last free one, muhahahaha!

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:57:11 PM EDT
[#28]
If you have enough spare time you might check out a Gander Mountian.  I know that they do not sell "black guns"  But it is a worth while store to check out.  What I like is they have several hundred long guns on display.  There is one in Castleston & one on the southside.  Both are just a few blocks off the interstate.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:20:50 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
If you have enough spare time you might check out a Gander Mountian.

Not to mention a brand new Harbor Freight right across the street
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:16:56 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 Brother!  

I am going over there today to see if they have something I oredered on the web before the store opened.  My stuff is on back order and my bud went to the southside store and picked up the same thing that day.

As you can see Seth, we need to get Rhino out on the streets!  He shoots too much and plays to little.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:25:53 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
As you can see Seth, we need to get Rhino out on the streets!  He shoots too much and plays to little.

Too much of this:

Not enough of this:
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:56:27 PM EDT
[#32]
You need to go to BD's Mongolian BBQ. That is always the highlight of my Indy trips.
http://www.bdsmongolianbarbeque.com/
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:52:32 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that the across from the north store or south store
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:21:40 PM EDT
[#34]
The north store.  Located on the south side of 86th St.

I hear ya Zoub!  I spend more time building and planning than I do shooting.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:53:55 AM EDT
[#35]
I think all of  the Indy guys should take on a mission. Our mission find rhino a girlfriend. I think we should set him up on a least 20 to 30 blind dates. The reason, because I just what to read the mission I mean date report. rhino can be very funny.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:41:01 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Our mission find rhino a girlfriend.

I can't expend that kind of energy on somene else's booty action.

I gots' ta works my own plan man!  But I am willing to toss him some scraps.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:08:53 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
You need to go to BD's Mongolian BBQ. That is always the highlight of my Indy trips.
http://www.bdsmongolianbarbeque.com/

BD's Rocks!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:03:20 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I think all of  the Indy guys should take on a mission. Our mission find rhino a girlfriend. I think we should set him up on a least 20 to 30 blind dates. The reason, because I just what to read the mission I mean date report. rhino can be very funny.

I like the way you think!  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:04:52 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I am overwhelmed by your generosity!  

I was going to call you the next time I had an outing with the twins, but now I'm going to pass it to bigcraig!

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:49:38 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am overwhelmed by your generosity!  

I was going to call you the next time I had an outing with the twins, but now I'm going to pass it to bigcraig!

BC is gay.  I know it for a fact, I read it in the General Forum.  So HA!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:12:01 PM EDT
[#41]
LOL, I have a Harbor Freight store and the largest Gander Mountain store in the U.S. about 15 minutes away from me here in IL. And there is  Bd's Mongolian barbeque only 25 minutes away.  Jut no cool shit like machineguns, huge-ass gunshows, or land with any sort of geogrpahical features!

Um, so when did my thread get bastardized into a thread about some schmuck in Indiana who can't get laid????  

If you guys dont' mind, could we please get my thread back on track to the "things to do in Indianapolis if you already have a hot girlfirend who puts out a lot" theme it was originally on?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:29:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Hey Dawg, Rhino is no "schmuck"! He's one of the finest men you'll ever meet.
Gump
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:18:19 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Hey Dawg, Rhino is no "schmuck"! He's one of the finest men you'll ever meet.
Gump

I'm sure he is...we all know the rule "asshole always gets the girl" so from what I gather he has to be THE nicest, most gentlemanly man in the world.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top