Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2006 8:05:36 PM EDT
Well I just picked up my sons upper from Elmores. They had their Smith thread the barrel so I could replace the obnoxious brake with a flash hider.

No complaints, a fair price and a good job done on the machining end too. If I was still at the smaller machine shop I could have done this myself.

Anyhow, it looks good and should be better at our local range under the roof. It was very diffecult to line up next to and to shoot with the brake under the shelter.....without running everyone else off.

That was the only "ban" upper that I had so now they are completely evil !!

I can recommend their guys work.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:17:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:23:40 PM EDT
[#2]
You would really like the brake on a 50 BMG.  They scatter like roaches.

Russ did the flash suppressors on 3 of mine (2 PTRs & a Steyr AUG USR) they look great.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:35:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:00:28 AM EDT
[#4]
When I read the title I expected a story of a brake flying downrange...

Is it still $50 to thread there or has it gone up?  I have another upper that needs a dose of evil added.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:21:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
When I read the title I expected a story of a brake flying downrange...

Is it still $50 to thread there or has it gone up?  I have another upper that needs a dose of evil added.

Funny you mention that. I figure the old brake will become a target next range trip, so yes it will be downrange.

It was $60, including the crush washer and the A2 FH. I had an extra FH, but I figured let him put one on for the $10. I really dont know what the actual rates are though, just letting ya know what he charged me.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:13:26 AM EDT
[#6]

It was $60, including the crush washer and the A2 FH.

That's what he charged when he did my other one.  I was just checking that it hadn't gone up since then.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:21:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Hah!  I recently has a JP/Bennie Cooley comp installed on my Colt.  I got to shoot it for the first time today with it and the new freefloat tube and it's SWEET.

I have a Bushmaster with a permanently attached AK brake on a 14.5 inch barrel.  I'm going to leave it the way it is until I can afford a new flat top upper with a 16 inch pencil barrel.  Then I'll probably go with the new version of the Phantom that is both a flash hider and a comp (no ports on the bottom).

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:48:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
... I'll probably go with the new version of the Phantom that is both a flash hider and a comp (no ports on the bottom).

I don't think you're going to get much "comp" effect from a 5C1/5C2 Phantom.  They actually do have ports on the bottom half, just not straight down.  (Think six points, with the bottom one missing.)  The A2 FS might give you more effect since it has no ports in the bottom 180 degrees, but with no surface to deflect forward gases I think it's minimal as well.

ETA:  I have a 5C1 and an A2 sitting on my bench right now waiting for the barrels to be threaded for them.  Let me know if you want to borrow them to shoot side-by-side.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:27:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
[I don't think you're going to get much "comp" effect from a 5C1/5C2 Phantom.  They actually do have ports on the bottom half, just not straight down.  (Think six points, with the bottom one missing.)  The A2 FS might give you more effect since it has no ports in the bottom 180 degrees, but with no surface to deflect forward gases I think it's minimal as well.

You're probably right.  On the other hand, I think it's a good idea just because it won't be blowing down at the ground when shooting prone.  My delicate consitution might be compromised by the blowing dust, not to mention the potential for me to lose my cherub-like demeanor.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:44:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I've been meaning to test the dust theory with them too.  But I'll probably have to wait until late summer to find ground dry enough to have dust...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top