Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2006 9:24:05 AM EDT
I don't make a habit of carrying a rifle in my truck, but I was curious if i wanted to keep one behind the seat of my truck what the law has to say about this.  Is it a concealed weapon?  Is it OK?  Never been to sure about this.
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:35:29 AM EDT
[#1]
OK.  I sort of answered my own question but I am still a little confused about the wording of HB1028. It seems to say that no law may be passed preventing me from keeping a firearm locked in my car.  That seems to indicate that it is OK now.?  Additionally I amconfused by the wording saying something about in or on the owners property?  Does this law only apply to my property? Anybody out there understand this???      
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:36:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Oops.  Forgot the wording.

Synopsis: Firearms and self-defense. Prohibits the adoption or enforcement of a policy or rule that prohibits or has the effect of prohibiting an individual from legally possessing a firearm that is locked in the individual's motor vehicle while the motor vehicle is in or on the person's property

From HB 1028
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 12:41:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Should be just fine to keep it behind your seat, in a gun rack, in the trunk, or whatever.

It is illegal to have a round in the chamber, however.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:15:53 PM EDT
[#4]
As far as I know it's legal to carry a loaded rifle in your car.
I went here:
www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar47/
and checked a few places and I can't find anything prohibiting it or even talking about firearms in a car.
There are rules regarding spotlighting and weapons, check dnr regs for that.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:12:27 PM EDT
[#5]
JimTH is correct.  The law is silent on long guns, except for some hunting regulations.  That means there is no law prohibiting having a loaded long gun on your person or in your vehicle.  

As far as hunting regs go, the only prohibition with which I am familiar is that your long gun must be unloaded while you're operating an off road vehicle while engaged in hunting.  I don't know if that's merely administrative, or if it carries potential criminal liability.  In any case, it has no bearing on someone who is not hunting and also operating an off road vehicle.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top