Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2006 7:17:26 PM EDT
At the 1500 I had my dad purchase a handgun for me as I am only 19.  I plan on carrying it and I was wondering if there is anything I have to do to be legal w/ it or can I just say he gave it to me or I bought it off him since im 18 and hes not a dealer?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:56:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Alright when you get pulled over or searched or whatever they check ifit's stolen that's it. So long as you got the permit you're golden. They get stingy and ask tell em you're borrowing it or something along those lines. Shouldn't be a problem I'm borrowing my Sig P220 but I've never had an issue with anything on it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:00:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Your parents can give you a handgun and it's entirely legal.  DO NOT say you "bought it off him," because you're under 21.  Gift is okay, buying is not.

Obviously you can carry it the same as any other license holder.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:37:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the clarification.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:02:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Your parents can give you a handgun and it's entirely legal.  DO NOT say you "bought it off him," because you're under 21.  Gift is okay, buying is not.

Obviously you can carry it the same as any other license holder.

A 19 year old can buy from a private party.  As long as it is not a straw purchase.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:43:10 PM EDT
[#5]
The advice above is good.  Just say you own it if asked.  Have your permit.  As long as it dosent come back stolen if the serial is run, your golden.  Enjoy, and grats.   I got my Colt via the same method when I was 19 many moons ago.  What did you get?  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:44:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Para  Ord. Tac Four  13 rounds of .45 ACP is very comforting riding on your hip.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:23:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Only colt I have I found in my grandma's attic amongst all the stuff my great uncle had on Tarawa, thought it was some cool stuff picked up a field jacket type deal and out fell a Colt 1911 with 6 in the mag and one in the chamber. had a little rust on it but we got it cleaned up still shoots pretty good but it's since been put under glass.

I didn't know 19 could buy from private party. Kinda makes me happy my 19th is next month.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:47:51 PM EDT
[#8]
If you are 18, you can buy FTF, Or have it gifted to you. However having a permit helps with non family members. Most folks just do not want to take chance on young fellas and handguns.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:45:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Read the Regs yourself, don't rely on what others tell you.  If your not 21 you can't even legally buy pistol ammo but even that is gray area.  As far as I understand it your father will still be liable for your actions with it.  I also didn't think it was legal for someone under 21 to pruchase a handgun. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:05:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I called the State Police after reading the law at Packing.org and they said that you only have to be 21 to buy from a dealer.  I still dont know if my father would be liable for my actions w/ it though, especially if I can legally "buy" it from him.  In my mind that would be the same as if I legally bought a rifle and then sold it.  Say it gets sold a few more times, would I be liable if the final owner shoots someone with it?  I better not be.  Also, as rynich said I am pretty sure I can not legally buy handgun ammo.  Although they guy I bought 600 rounds of CCI Blazer from at the 1500 didnt even ask if I was 21.  The way I understand it is 18 for a rifle 21 for a handgun, even it if the exact same box of ammo.  I simply tell them its for a rifle.  If they ask I have a repo Thompson.  Is this legal.  Hell, Ive been w/ ppl who are 18 or 19 open carrying and said it was a for a rifle and the Wal Mart clerk sold it to them.  What can they do?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:05:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I stand corrected I just looked over the state regs and it seems you are good but I think you still need to check the Federal regs.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:08:12 PM EDT
[#12]
That is the Gray area I was speaking of on the ammo.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:20:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Federal Regs
(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver:

(1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;

(2) any firearm to any person in any State where the purchase or possession by such person of such firearm would be in violation of any State law or any published ordinance applicable at the place of sale, delivery or other disposition, unless the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe that the purchase or possession would not be in violation of such State law or such published ordinance;

(B15) May a parent or guardian purchase firearms or ammunition as a gift for a juvenile (less than 18 years of age)? [Back]

Yes. However, possession of handguns by juveniles (less than 18 years of age) is generally unlawful. Juveniles may only receive and possess handguns with the written permission of a parent or guardian for limited purposes, e. g., employment, ranching, farming, target practice or hunting. [18 U. S. C. 922( x)]

B17) What recordkeeping procedures should be followed when two private individuals want to engage in a firearms transaction? [Back]

When a transaction takes place between private (unlicensed) persons who reside in the same State, the Gun Control Act (GCA) does not require any record keeping. As noted in FAQs B1 and B2, which are posted on this Web site in the "Firearms" section, a private person may sell a firearm to another private individual in his or her State of residence and, similarly, a private individual may buy a firearm from another private person who resides in the same State. It is not necessary for a Federal firearms licensee (FFL) to assist in the sale or transfer when the buyer and seller are "same-State" residents. Of course, the transferor/seller may not knowingly transfer a firearm to someone who falls within any of the categories of prohibited persons contained in the GCA. See 18 U.S. C. §§ 922(g) and (n). However, as stated above, there are no GCA-required records to be completed by either party to the transfer.

For information about any State or local regulations that may govern this type of transaction, it is advisable to contact State Police units or the office of your State Attorney General.

Please note that if a private person wants to obtain a gun from a private person who resides in another State, the gun will have to be shipped to an FFL in the buyer's State. The FFL will be responsible for record keeping. See FAQ B3 (Firearms)
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:21:35 PM EDT
[#14]
If a person under 18 can legally guy a firearm according to federla law then I bet Im ok as long as I follow the state laws, which tot the best of my knowledge I did.  We need a sticky here with a laymans interpertation of all the state firearms alws that are confusing.

EDIT, still no idea on the ammo, Ill check it out later, I gotta get some sleep for PT in the morning

Federal Gun Law FAQ

Federal Gun Laws
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:45:18 PM EDT
[#15]
The problem is, you cant LEGALLY buy from a dealer if your not 21.  Nor ammo.  Those are federal regs.  Before we were subjected to those BS laws, it was 18 for ammo and pistols in Indiana.  Thats why you can legally buy FTF at 18, as well as get a permit.  So you cant legally buy ammo, (from a dealer) but you can possess it.  Enjoy your pistol.  That much .45ACP will get it done for sure.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:33:28 AM EDT
[#16]
We need one age for everything.  Does that mean I cant legally buy componets from a dealer and load my own?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:37:41 AM EDT
[#17]
I think you can buy the components. Because when you look at the interpritation of what makes ammunition, ammunition, I think they're talking about a completed ready to fire cartridge. So individual components shouldn't be a problem. Not a bad idea wish I had a press. As for the age thing No Freakin Kidding.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top