Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2006 11:39:22 AM EDT
Does anyone know if anyone in the Indy area has a good selection of scopes?   I've been to Gander Mountain but I am looking for something more in the tactical realm.  I would really like to kick the tires on a few scopes before I shell out the big dough.   Even a store outside the Indy area would be fine as long as it was reasonably close.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:58:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I know Pop guns keeps a handful of leupolds in stock most of the time.  They's usually got several Eotechs and Aimpoints as well.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:43:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Get the petrolium lubricant of your choice out if you're buying a scope locally.  Natchez has pretty decent prices and my C&R FFL allows me to buy at dealer pricing from Midway.  Bruno's Shooters supply used to have pretty good pricing and D and R Sports has had pretty good prices from time to time.  SWFA is also another good place to buy.

I buy my rifles locally, most of the time, but I always order my glass.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:43:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Going to have to agree with the above poster, I buy my scopes at a local shop but I do get a discount since I work there. But before that It was really hard to find a good deal on glass around town.
The shop I work at has a very small selection of glass , but we do have one of the Nikon Tactical scopes in stock, you really should go in and buy it though before I decide I cannot live without it,
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:57:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I would sugest www.riflescopes.com (SFWA) or ebay.  You can not go wrong with a mark 4 or a Nightforce.

Here are a few good ones

http://cgi.ebay.com/NightForce-Scope_W0QQitemZ7212201203QQcategoryZ31714QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/US-Optics-ST-10-as-Nightforce-IOR-Leupold-Elcan-S-B_W0QQitemZ7207597523QQcategoryZ31714QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:58:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I am waiting for Gungho to decide he needs to part with a few scopes, then I can plead my case for a friends discount, veterans discount and of course work in a trade too.

Usually Cheeks has a fair amount of optics, but probably more along the hunting line though?

I picked up an Elite 3200 at 2nd ammendment in Mooresville. I wished Bradis stocked more tactical glass so I could use my "former employee" discount.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:47:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Usually Cheeks has a fair amount of optics, but probably more along the hunting line though?

If you mean Plainfield Shooting Supply, I don't remember them having all that many optics of any type.  The only one I've bought there was a Weaver V16 many years ago.  I haven't paid attention to his current selection.  

Elmore's in Greenwood had some pretty tricked out ARs on the counter when I was in there, so he might have some of the more "tactical" optics.  I think the rifles I saw were personal guns of one of the employees though.

Outside of Indy there's Darrel's Custom Firearms in Cayuga.  He has a fairly big shop, a little bigger than PSS or Albro's I think, but I can't picture his optics section.  Darrel used to shoot IPSC and has had a .50 BMG on the counter the last couple times I've been in there so his stock isn't strictly hunting.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:31:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Darrel of Darrel's Custom Firearms in Cayuga, IN (765.492.3939) is a big Pentax dealer now, probably the biggest in the midwest.  He still carries some Leupold as well, although not a big selection.  He usually has some Aimpoints too, like the Comp M3 and ML3.  I've seen EOTechs there, but I don't know if he always has them.  Call first and ask what he's got and then know for sure before you drive there.

I know Pentax scopes don't get much play in the magazines or among the k00l kIDz, but they make really good scopes.  They do the lenses and (I think) the mechanical parts are done by Burris.  In any case, they're comparable to Leupolds in the same price range.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:47:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I wished Bradis stocked more tactical glass so I could use my "former employee" discount.

I wish we did, too. There's just not enough demand to keep anything but the low- to mid-priced hunting type optics in stock...

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:20:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I guess all of the above posts sort of confirmed what I suspected.  Guess I will probably go the SWFA route.  Thanks for the replies folks.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:48:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you mean Plainfield Shooting Supply, I don't remember them having all that many optics of any type.  The only one I've bought there was a Weaver V16 many years ago.  I haven't paid attention to his current selection.

Yes, Bob Cheeks PSS.

His display case at the back corner of the store, next to the ARs, Garands etc.... is dedicated to scopes. He had probably 10-15 rifle scopes and then had the Eotechs and Aimpoints on the bottom shelf. This was back before Xmas of 2005..... not a few years ago. Like I stated "a fair amount".
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:09:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I wished Bradis stocked more tactical glass so I could use my "former employee" discount.

I wish we did, too. There's just not enough demand to keep anything but the low- to mid-priced hunting type optics in stock...

Pretty much howit is at  Albro's We do try to keep the midrange scopes in stock but the demand for tactical types is pretty low really. We have stocked Leupold before and they just didnt sell enough to justify keeping them in stock.
We can order them in for you and sometimes we can be competative with the prices just depends on the distributors price.
Its hard to beat SWFA and some of the other online dealers since they buy in such large quantities. Call around get some qoutes from different dealers around here you may be able to get what your looking for for a reasonable price.  Or drop in and check out the Nikon some one really needs to take that home before I lose what little self control I have.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:21:10 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Or drop in and check out the Nikon some one really needs to take that home before I lose what little self control I have.

Which Nikon is it?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top