Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2006 11:33:59 AM EDT
i live in PA but i go to school in indiana.  i was wondering if the Indy 1500 gun show which is being held this weekend is worth going to.  i just need to get away from campus and go to a show. should i wait for another or is this show one of the best around?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:39:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome,

Sure, its worth the trip. Do go, and also theres plenty of jerky, roasted almonds etc...

But seriosly, I usually reflect throughout the year and find that my best deals were found at the January show. I belive the prices are cheaper for the after slow Xmas season and the March show always seems higher....tax $$$ to spend?

I stay away from the June show do to my main vacation is in July.

Anyhow,

Go and enjoy,
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:44:48 AM EDT
[#2]
It should be worth it. Figure on spending at least $10 to get parked and a ticket to get in. The January show is usually the best one of the year.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:49:42 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks i plan on spending the entire day there and spending all my money i just got for selling books...looking forward to it
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:22:43 PM EDT
[#4]
If this is the best show of the year, I'm definitely skipping the rest!

Just got back. Saw a few good deals on used guns, no good deals on bulk ammo, and a lot of the usual junk. YAAAAAAAWN. Chatted with the guys at the ACC booth, and broke down and bought a "blemished" AR lower for $85 from Superior Arms (nice folks with a nice display).  

A couple notable sightings were the S&W M&P at Albros, and the Rhineland Arms .22 rifle at Superior Arms. I hadn't seen either of those guns in the flesh before. There was also a table with nothing but AK and RPK parts kits and assorted goodies, but I didn't look too closely b/c I'm not in the market.

My $.02.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:29:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I unfortunately found out abou this show a bit too late to be able to go (live in Chicago burbs) but already talked to the G/ and assuming there is another one in a few months we will be getting a hotel down there for a weekend and going to the show.

Any other good things to see in Indy if we make a long weekend of it?  IIRC the Indy Zoo is pretty good, anddoes the racetrack have any am/pro racing or anything going on typically?

Dawg

[ETA]  how many tables do they usually have there?  The local show I go to in IL usually has around 200 tables, but a lot of beanie babies and other crap, and absolutely no deals whatsoever (as if people just wanted to pay $25 to sit at a table all day instead of bargaining to move something).  

Is this also a good show for someone with a C&R license?  I thought it might be nice to pick up a Yugo SKS or another milsurp to add to the collection if I can make it down there next show...can't drive 3+ hours and come back empty handed!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:46:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I got back.  WOrth going to if you have never been.

Got 500 rds of boxed XM-193 for $100, plus picked up an 18.5 inch 870 barrel for $45.  Mirror bore, some light surface rust, but after some scrubbing with Hoppes and a cloth it was good as new.  

I mean, its MINT inside.  Mirrorlike.  Perfect.  

Now I have to get a Wilson +2 Mag tube, duracoat it the shotty, and get a Surefire forend.  
grr.  Oh well, its only $$$

Also picked up some Magpul XT's  from PK.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:19:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll be heading to the Show sometime Saturday afternoon, probably around 2 or 3.

I'm looking to trade/sell some stuff, so if anyone's interested, I'll be sporting a grey "MARINES" t-shirt, holding a Bushmaster M4A3, and will be with a buddy of mine who will be holding a Bushmaster 20" A4.

I always love to talk shop and I'm all ears for trading/selling.

-Covert
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:54:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll be there Saturday morning.  Looking to sell Pre89 Norinco Underfolder with underfolding spike bayonet.  

Looking to buy Colt Commander and parts for AR pistol build.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:28:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I talked to shooter521 when he stopped by the ACC table this afternoon.  I saw a lot of other people I knew, but only one other AR15.commie, ChuckP.

I'll be back at the table tomorrow, probably early so I can get a decent parking spot.  I've made some more signs so people can actually know what the heck we're doing there!  At least half of the people who stopped only looked at the Glocks we had on the table as demo items to show some of the guns we shoot, thinking they were for sale.

So ... back in action tomorrow, trying to promote the shooting sports!

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:26:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Found a Noveske AR-10 FF handguard for $80 NIW.  That and the candied almonds are all i bought.  I was however, tempted by a couple of nice sxs 20 gauge shotguns.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:16:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I went and will be there again tomorrow beased out of the ACC booth (yes rhino I'm setting up my base there) Hopefully I can still talk a trade for steves SR25 and my '49 Lee Enfield.... As for what I will be sporting.... the enfield of course.... and a red and black Marines varsity jacket probably an Echo Co. T-Shirt. And yes I'm putting my Sig on the table so we don't look like a big happy glock family.

Looking for weapon light mounts..... and the usual buy/trade/haggle/talk shop and share stories that's half the fun right there.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:12:28 PM EDT
[#12]
im glad to hear this show is worth while, any good deals on surefires, plan on buying an E2D
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:45:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Is this also a good show for someone with a C&R license?  I thought it might be nice to pick up a Yugo SKS or another milsurp to add to the collection if I can make it down there next show...can't drive 3+ hours and come back empty handed!

No it is not. I found that net sales are the best bet.  I have only used my C&R once at a dealers, Bradis had a Yugo rework K98 for very cheap.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:36:56 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I unfortunately found out abou this show a bit too late to be able to go (live in Chicago burbs) but already talked to the G/ and assuming there is another one in a few months we will be getting a hotel down there for a weekend and going to the show.

IIRC the next show is March 17, 18, 19. It's a quarterly thing.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:33:35 AM EDT
[#15]
There were some decent deals to be had here and there, Great ammo prices seem to be a thing of the past though. I did see a couple good deals on M14 USGI mags though one guy had them 25.00 each or five for 100.00
ALso we have the FN PS90 as well at the table. Very neat little rifle.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:03:44 PM EDT
[#16]
just got back from the show...it is the biggest ive been to and the most full.  i could hardly walk around it kinda sucked. i got a good deal on certain things but the ammo prices were outrageous
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:19:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Just got back...got a set of A1 handguards, new for $10 and 10 new 30 rounders in the wrapper for $8.00 each..

All and all a nice day, hanging with some friends and getting some good deals..
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:13:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I went both yesterday and today.  I picked up some little stuff.  I spent most of my day today trying to sell a Maadi.   My buddies bought some M855PD for $175 a thousand yesterday.  I also saw wolf 7.62x39 for $115/k.  Both were almost all gone by this morning.  Today was very crowded.  I guess that everybody was trying to do today to free up tomorrow for the colts game.  I did see a very pretty young lady(about my age) that I am sure used to work at Bradis a year or two ago.  Of course I couldnt really figure a way to start a conversation without seeming crazyer than I really am:)
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:31:22 PM EDT
[#19]
I dont know what some of you people are putting up your noses. The show sucked, I will never return.

$165.00 per 1000 wolf 7.62x39 no thanks.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:43:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I dont know what some of you people are putting up your noses. The show sucked, I will never return.

Don't worry they won't miss you..
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:06:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Should have gone Friday.  All the deals are gone by 6pm on Friday.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:40:02 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Should have gone Friday.  All the deals are gone by 6pm on Friday.

I don't think there was any to begin with. I walked around the show for hours. There was alot of people looking to sell, not a whole lot were buying. Hell I could'nt give away my Sagia- AK 103 conversion. people were just not buying.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:44:58 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I could really care less. Once people wisen up and learn the deals are not at gunshows. The deals are found right here on the net. The gunshow dealers will miss the people.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:04:23 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I could really care less. Once people wisen up and learn the deals are not at gunshows. The deals are found right here on the net. The gunshow dealers will miss the people.  

Sorry slick, the net did not win this time..there no one here or anywhere selling NIW USGI mags for $8 a pop..no tax or shipping to screw with either.

I can get parts for rifles cheaper from Brownell's with my discount.

And I don't go to the show or shows for ammo and the like nor to buy from any dealers of anything....it's for buying guns FTF without a pesky dealer involved and buying from non-dealer tables....
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:30:33 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

And I don't go to the show or shows for ammo and the like nor to buy from any dealers of anything....it's for buying guns FTF without a pesky dealer involved and buying from non-dealer tables....

You are right about the non-dealer tables, they always have the best deals.  The deal of the day that I found was a Remington 870 Police Magnum for $175.00.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:36:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:40:13 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Anyone know what they're charging for tables now?

$75.00 per
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:49:50 PM EDT
[#28]
It was a decent show in my opinion.  Not as good as it used to be, but that trend has been established among gunshows for quite some time now.  Just as video killed the radio star, the Internet will ultimately kill the gunshow.

There was a guy with decent (IMO) ammo prices, considering the fact that he had ANY XM193 at all and that it was priced at $195/1K.  He was in the small room on the right (keep straight after you walk in, go past the restrooms, he is on the corner).  I'd bet that he is out of XM193 and SA .308 by now.

J&T Distributing, Model 1 Sales, PKFirearms and RBPrecision were all in attendance so there were plenty of AR15 parts.

I spotted a 3rd gen Glock 22 with meps and hi-caps for $400, and a full nickel Sig P226 at Albro's table.

IIRC it was $3 to park and 8$ admission.

Here's what I came back with.
1. 2K XM193 $390 out the door from the guy in the small room
2. YHM offset mounts from RBPrecision
3. Phantom FH from PKFirearms
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:58:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:49:06 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are right about the non-dealer tables, they always have the best deals.  The deal of the day that I found was a Remington 870 Police Magnum for $175.00.

The only bad thing was that the number of non-dealer tables sell guns and realted items was down...well unless I wanted roasted nuts or beef jerky..

I had one boob ask me-"Do you know where the roasted nuts are?"

I said-"Don't know, I come to gun shows for gun stuff."

Wish I would have found that Remington..I would have bought it..

Did anyone see money exchanging hands between show goers? I did not see alot of FTF selling going on...nor alot of gun sales at all..
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:11:13 AM EDT
[#31]
I just got back and the show, to me at least, seemed pretty dead.  Then again it is Sunday and there's football on the boob tube.

I wouldn't mind the things they sell and the prices things are sold for one bit in that place if the fairgrounds didn't charge so much to park and admission.  Paying $11 before I even get to look at a gun or having the pleasure of smelling body odor from the non-showering clientel is ridiculous.  I know it costs them money to host the show, but for $75 a pop for each table you'd think they could cut the show goers a break

I was very tempted at the price of Superior Arms' lowers for $95 but I somehow fought the urge.

I ended up with a Colt bolt for $50, 2 Uzi converted 9mm AR mags for $20 each (from PK Firearms), and a CRKT M16 folder for $35.

I didn't see any RRA lowers at Albro's table.  I guess i'll just stop by his shop one of these days.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:26:40 PM EDT
[#32]
I was there yesterday (Saturday) at the ACC booth from before opening until almost closing time.  I didn't go back today.

I saw a few more AR15.commies and met a couple I've not met before.  Still didn't see Gungho1989!

I spent a lot of time with Mike_L and Durango.

I didn't get to do any shopping, although I did make one, big lap of the whole pavillion in search of some hot chicks in cammies that were spotted by a buddy earlier.  No joy on locating the objective, but I did walk past Greg Garrison on my way back and shook his hand as we passed each other.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:41:06 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I wouldn't mind the things they sell and the prices things are sold for one bit in that place if the fairgrounds didn't charge so much to park and admission.  Paying $11 before I even get to look at a gun or having the pleasure of smelling body odor from the non-showering clientel is ridiculous.  I know it costs them money to host the show, but for $75 a pop for each table you'd think they could cut the show goers a break

How much money do you think the promoter made after all was said and done? The $3.00 parking goes right to the fair grounds.  I belive the only real money to be made at a gunshow is in the promoting end of it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:17:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Well, we loaded up the car and went down Saturday.
I had to go into work and check on a project, so we got a real late start.
Breakfast at the truck stop in Plymouth was good.

Can they tear up the road just a little bit more?
God, that sucked.
Paid the $10 to get in to the place.
Parking sucks as usual.
What is the deal with people taking up two parking spaces?
I don't care if they are dealers or not, if you park like a moron...you get your a$$ towed. No exceptions.

Was packed beyond my imagination.
Started to the right in the little room and worked my way across.
Ok, so what is up with the Phrobis bayo for $275?
And that was a "Real Deal" according to the guy selling cheep NCStar scopes?
When mentioned that we got ours for $99 down at one of the surplus stores around Ft Knox area, he went nuts and told us that we were lying. What planet was he from?

Damage was as follows:
-Surefire E2D Exec Defender gift kit for $99 (My Christmas gift for myself).
Bought the last one he had.
-CEMTE with one mag and a cheapie scope for $325 (I just couldn't turn it down, been wanting one for a while, hopefully it will be a shooter).
-Went over and scrounged thru the cheap HK mags, ended up with 10 mags for it at $15.
Reminded me of old times scrounging cheap AR & M14 mags out of the box.
-EoTECH 512 for $332 (Really enjoyed talking to the rep, actually made 2 sales for him while I stood there)
-Spent a whole bunch of $ over at PK Firearms. Hope they remember me. I was the big guy harrassing your kid near the end of the show with the Armalite hat.
What's up with the kid? Man, seems like everything went thru him first.
Was he running the booth?
He scares me, so young and so much knowledge.
AR-fu is strong in that one. Beware.
Lets see, I think that was it for me.
Didn't even buy any blueberry fudge or jerky.

Friend #1 picked up an EoTECH and an M4 upper along with a set of Redfield front and rear sights for his CMP H&R .22.
The guy with all the Garand parts really knew his stuff.
Had a good time talking to him too.

Friend #2 picked up an No. 4 MkII Enfield for $200.
Dealer thought it was a No. 4 Mk I.
It was fairly clean and the bore  and some of the reciever still had cosmo from storage.
Hahaha.
Proof that if you are going to buy and sell guns, you need to do your homework and learn about them.
Those markings mean something.

Don't know if it was worth it, but I spent big time down there.
Now I can complete my next AR project and finish out my 80% lower project too.
I saw some really good deal, and I saw alot of gouging.
Hate it when dealers won't deal.
"Sorry, but the price on the tag is as low as I can go"
Guess what Jack... $ go bye-bye.
Saw more guns being carried around than I did at my last trip down there.
Saw alot of ammo going out the door too.

Considering the crowds, I considered it a good day.
I still think it is an expensive trip though.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:05:28 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I saw a few more AR15.commies and met a couple I've not met before.  Still didn't see Gungho1989!

I didn't either.   The guys at Albro's table said he was there on Friday, but not on Saturday when I was there.  I did stop and say "hi" to Jigga at his table and met a few other arfcommers that stopped by the ACC booth while I was talking to Rhino.  Ran into my cousin and his kid who I hadn't seen in about 6 months too.

I stopped by Lowe's on the way home to look for something and the helpful young man in the tools dept. pointed at the stamp on my hand and asked if I liked the gun show.  Turns out it was GUNGUY1911.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:10:49 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Any other good things to see in Indy if we make a long weekend of it?  IIRC the Indy Zoo is pretty good, anddoes the racetrack have any am/pro racing or anything going on typically?

My wife said the Zoo was OK, but I haven't been there myself.  The big speedway has the Hall of Fame museum and you can take a bus ride/tour of the track.  Only racing is the big 3 events though.  There's a smaller speedway on 16th street that probably does weekly races in the summer but I've never been there.  Indianapolis Raceway Park has a drag strip, road course, and short track and they might have something going on.   A visit to the Soldiers & Sailors monument downtown is in order.  The State Museum is pretty good and has a IMAX theater.  There's a Medal of Honor memorial across the canal from it, and some sports hall of fame (NCAA?) near there too.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:38:03 AM EDT
[#37]
re: the parking ...

I was amazed by the number of morons who took two spots, especially on Friday.  It wasn't like one or two bad parking jobs, but dozens just in the near lots.  I suspect they were doing it on purpose because of the narrow spots, but that's no excuse.  Bastiches.

re: the zoo ...

I really like the zoo, especially since I can visit my cousins in the rhino exhibit.  If you need a peaceful place to sit and think for a while, the butterfly exhibit is very serene and relaxing.  I always spend the most time there when I visit the zoo.  I think they've also redone the dolphin pavillion, which I've not yet seen.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:56:29 AM EDT
[#38]
was there fri/sat.  Picked up a LNIB Aimpoint ML2 for $225.  Saw it on friday and waited until saturday.  It came w/ a cheapie mount so I had to bite the bullet and buy an arms m68.  Drooled over the FN PS90 that Albros had at a paultry $2k.  Nice little rifle but man do those sights suck.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:35:24 AM EDT
[#39]
When we arrived on Saturday we heard an announcement on the PA system re: a $55 concealed handgun permit course which would allow you to apply for the FL or VA non-resident permit.

Up until now I was considering going to Pop Guns for their course (I believe it's $125) so that I could apply for the FL permit but if I  can get it done for $55 then that's better.

Does anyone have the scoop on this?  The course was about 3hrs long according to the ladies at the table and they were only doing it at the gun show, but would be back for the next show.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:04:33 PM EDT
[#40]
found a NIB 92fs Vertec inox for a good deal and snatched it up, didnt see anything close to that price afterwards.  Got it from the Seymore dealer.  Very happy.  Also did a FTF for an M6.  I was wondering around the back yard last night after dark with it trying to find a rodent/racoon/stray cat to shoot at.  no such luck

RoseMech
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:39:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Hey, RoseMech!  Where have you been, dude?

I sent e-mail to you a few weeks (or maybe months) ago ... did you get it?

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:45:47 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I was there yesterday (Saturday) at the ACC booth .................

If I'd have known ACC had a booth I would have went down and helped out...

Nobody tells me anything..  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:42:25 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
If I'd have known ACC had a booth I would have went down and helped out...

Nobody tells me anything..  

Sorry, Pat!  I didn't know about until the week before.  A couple of them drafted me because apparently I'm something of a "talker."  I don't see it ... I always thought I was shy and quiet.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:03:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Hey Rhino_,

I got your email a while back, but I have been on Co-op for too long and have only been back in town since December.  I plan on making the next WVPPS events.  I got alittle rusty over the coop because I didn't ever find a good place to shoot.  I have gotten back in the groove and am very excited for the next shoot.

RoseMech
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:26:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Good!  We'll be glad to see you back!

I really think you should lay the ground work of forming an action shooting team there.  Eventually you could challenge the other colleges that have them (I think the Air Force Academy's team is defunct now, though).

Don't let the smallbore rifle shooters hog all the glory!  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:11:49 PM EDT
[#46]
The show was moved back into the smaller buildings for some reason, and it was horribly crowded. Still, I ran into a NIB Colt Series 80 38 Super for only $670, so it was worth it for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top