Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2006 8:13:45 AM EDT
I've been offered a job in the Ft Wayne area.  I know pretty much nothing about the area.  How is Ft Wayne as a place to live?  Housing prices?  Good areas?  Gun ranges?

Anything weird that I should know about Indiana gun laws (I'm currently living in Texas)?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:20:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont know about Ft Wayne but ive lived in Indiana for over 50 yrs now and visited most of US and theres no place like Indiana to me and the gun laws are prob the most librial and free of any state. we can even open carry if we want leagly but not recomended by LEO.  I highly recomend the state and want to wish you WELCOME.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:27:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Indiana has pretty lax guns laws. The Indiana License to Carry a Handgun is cheap and quick to get (no CCW class to take).
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:46:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Why Ft Wayne area?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:02:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I like Indiana, but I'm biased.  Born and Raised here.  Left for a few years, but came back.

Great gun laws!  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:56:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Why Ft Wayne area?

I've got a job offer there that is about a 40% increase over what I'm making now as a software engineer in Austin.  Given that the housing prices in Ft Wayne seem to be substantially lower than they are here, it would be irresponsible of me not to consider this, even though I like Austin and I have a lot of friends here.  I'm originally from the midwest, so I know basically what I'm getting into (a return to winters!).
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:08:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I live close to Fort Wayne and work in Fort Wayne. I'm not overly impressed with the job market here as we seem to be losing allot of them. BUT, in defense of the "Fort" it's not a bad place to live. The housing is not bad, but the taxes in the city are pretty high. The mayor is a tax hungry annexation freak. I recommend living in Huntington county and working in Fort Wayne. The tax rate is lower in Huntington county and there’s a nice little town that's only 8>9 miles away from downtown Fort Wayne.  It's called Roanoke, it's a bedroom community with some decent little restaurants, gas stations, grocery store and some businesses, I've had my eye on it for some time now and am going to relocate there. As for things to do in the Fort, it's not like Austin, but there are some very nice things to do. They have a wonderful children’s zoo, quite a few multi screen theaters, some big malls... at least for around here. I-69 is a major interstate and it runs right through Fort Wayne. Indianapolis is 1.5 hours south then Chicago is a few hours north, and then you have some major cities to the east in Ohio. So getting around is fairly decent. As for the gun laws... You will like them! Shooting ranges are scarce but their around. They just opened up a state of the art facility in Huntington County that I've been too. It's very nice and very safe. But you won't find any long range setups around here. You'll have to make friends with someone who lives out in the boonies, which is getting harder to find around here. Wish I had a place out in BFE, I'd let you come out.
Here are some links that might be of interest to you. Good luck with your decision, I know relocating is a big step but if you have the opportunity to better your life then it's a worthy cause.

www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/properties/res_huntington_range.html
www.cityoffortwayne.org/www.visitfortwayne.com/
www.ft-wayne.in.us/
www.discoverroanoke.org/
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:57:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I've lived in Huntington for over sixty years, its a nice town but getting bigger.  Roanoke is a really decent little town, lots of little bedroom communities around.  I wouldn't live in Fort Wayne myself but there is lots to see and do there.   The range in Huntington is supposed to be one of the nicest in the country and I belong to a club in Wabash that has ranges out to at least 300 yards now and I think they may have built a 400 yard backstop.  

Come on up!

Phil
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top