Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/24/2005 9:55:59 PM EDT
My aunt got me a $50 gift cert. from Strictly Shooting for Christmas.  I live in Illinois about an hour or so away and don't usually make it to eville.  It has been several years since I've been to that store, and when I did go way back when, it seemed like their prices were kinda high.  There is nothing I really need other than .308/223/762x39/45ACP ammo and maybe some hoppes #9.  Just wondering if they have any good deals on anything in particular so i can maximize my money.  Thanks all.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 1:34:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I go to strickly shooting a few times a month. there ammo is a bit high but alot of there gun accories are pretty good prices and they also have a very nice handgun shooting range inside. They charge $5 a half hr for the shooting range and rent all types of handguns to shoot including 9mm fully auto.  You can buy the ammo there or bring your own with no prob. they also have alot of hunting supplies shooting supplies as well as safes.  they are NOT open on sundays.  if i can be of any other help let me know. I live about 45 min from there and i did buy a couple handguns from them and they are very good to deal with including trade.  Merry christmas
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:11:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I was there Friday, NO deals on ammo, but they have a decent selection of stuff to choose from.  $50 won't get you very far better buck up some addy cash.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:10:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the help guys!  I will probably go sometime soon, because I have a habit of not spending or loosing gift certificates/cards if I keep them for a while.   Do they even have the kinds of ammo that most of us shoot?  IE- Win. white box, various m193 types, surplus, etc?  Might pick up some 00B too if they have it.

$5/half hr is not a bad price at all for the range.  I've never shot at an indoor range though, most of my shooting is done out in the country, but it's nice to know one is available.  I'm suprised that they let you bring your own ammo though.  What kind of restrictions do they have?  Pistol only for sure, but can you shoot FMJ?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:54:26 PM EDT
[#4]
They had a partial case of Winchester 5.56mm couldn't tell if it was Q3131 or Q3131A on the floor behind the counter, but they were busy so I didn't ask.  They usually had XM193 @ $5 a box so I figure the Winnie is about the same.  Are you from over by Mt. Carmel?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:49:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Good deal.  That's the kinda stuff I'd like to pick up.  My girlfriend got me 120rnds of 55grn Win. WB for Christmas (among other things), so it looks like I'm on the right track to having enough ammo to "break in" the new M4 barrel.

Gunguy, I live about 15 minutes west of Mt. Carmel, but I'm over there quite a bit.  My girlfriend lives there and works in Princeton.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:06:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm here in E'ville too, but I prefer to take the drive down to Whitakers in KY for my shooting needs.  Strictly Shooting is my 2nd choice though.  

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:30:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I agree with brainshlushy Whittakers is hard to beat on anything.  I live about 45 mile north of evansville and go there alot also.  Strickly shooting does have a nice indoor range not to big i think like 6 or 7 slots but it is nice and the price is right. and yes they do let you bring your own ammo.  I have shot there alot.  When my wife goes to eastland mall i drop her off and strickly shooting is just around the corner so thats what i do to kill time. I hate  the mall. good luck.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:23:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Good deal.  That's the kinda stuff I'd like to pick up.  My girlfriend got me 120rnds of 55grn Win. WB for Christmas (among other things), so it looks like I'm on the right track to having enough ammo to "break in" the new M4 barrel.

Gunguy, I live about 15 minutes west of Mt. Carmel, but I'm over there quite a bit.  My girlfriend lives there and works in Princeton.

Albion?  BAD juju in  Albion for me, the EX lives there!  Beet, Whittakers is pretty much the stuff for this area!
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:47:49 PM EDT
[#9]
LMFAO, no not albion, I live about 4 miles east of albion.  Funny you should say that though, since my friends and I are constantly cracking jokes about that town and the people that live in it.  That just made my day, LOL.

Don't feel bad, I had/have a couple of ex's that live there too.  Thankfully they are ex girlfriends and not ex wives.  Now I just try to stay away from there.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:11:16 PM EDT
[#10]
HeyGunguy you are so right Whittakers IS the place to go in this area for all our shooting needs.  Ibought my AR there for over $200 less than anyplace from indy to evansville and everywhere inbetween, and assories   Whittakers has it all and for very good  prices. +1 you are right!  There is a place near Holland Indiana called Daves Gun shop that i do some business with also great folks and the prices are prob better than gun shows or anywhere around here in southern indiana but still dont compare with Whittakers.  Daves has good prices on handguns and one of the most cleanest and niceses gun stores around complete with large stuffed animals, water fall , a avery nice place worth checking out sometime and they are like Whittakers open 7 days a week.  I would guess that Daves has on hand over 400 firearms on hand at any given time.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:53:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
HeyGunguy you are so right Whittakers IS the place to go in this area for all our shooting needs.  Ibought my AR there for over $200 less than anyplace from indy to evansville and everywhere inbetween, and assories   Whittakers has it all and for very good  prices. +1 you are right!  There is a place near Holland Indiana called Daves Gun shop that i do some business with also great folks and the prices are prob better than gun shows or anywhere around here in southern indiana but still dont compare with Whittakers.  Daves has good prices on handguns and one of the most cleanest and niceses gun stores around complete with large stuffed animals, water fall , a avery nice place worth checking out sometime and they are like Whittakers open 7 days a week.  I would guess that Daves has on hand over 400 firearms on hand at any given time.  

Dave's has a helluva nice range out back as well!  $100 a year unlimited usage is pretty swank, unfortunately, after a breakup, I had to move away from Princeton, but hope to be back that way in a few months so I can actually use my membership.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:31:13 PM EDT
[#12]
gunguy  do you ever shoot at the state range in pike county  thats where i live and shoot there all the time  who knows maybe we have even shot there at the same time lol.  i only live 10 min from the range. and i do know Dave from the shop personaly but still whittkers is better shopping.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:52:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
gunguy  do you ever shoot at the state range in pike county  thats where i live and shoot there all the time  who knows maybe we have even shot there at the same time lol.  i only live 10 min from the range. and i do know Dave from the shop personaly but still whittkers is better shopping.

The one over by Arthur Junction?  I've been there a few times until I found Dave's and Whittakers.  Last time I was there, there were some Elmer Fudds out for the yearly sight-in and were making comments about "those guns" so I tend to avoid the state range.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:49:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Another vote for Whittakers. I can't afford anything at Strictly Shooting and I damn sure ain't going to Dicks Sporting Goods.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:16:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Another vote for Whittakers in KY.  

And for anyone still looking at this thread, if you can avoid it, stay away from Strictly Shooting.  The prices are not better than anyplace else, and usually higher.  The range is nice, but the employees are absolutely dicks.  I know most gunshop dealers are, but these guys have aced the course on customer dissatisfaction.

I went in there a few months ago...didn't want to, but needed ammo and didn't want to drive across town.   Stood next to the counter and watched the 3 employees staring at the TV.  After 5 minutes of them ignoring me, I said "excuse me".  One of them looked at me and just said "hold on" and turned back to the TV.  About 2 minutes later, he asked what I wanted.   Winchester WB .223.  Guy said "you best buy all of it, because on Monday, all ammo across the U.S. is going to double in price".  I said no thanks and drove across town =(.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:25:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Dude!!  I must have been in there at the same time you were!!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:02:21 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Dude!!  I must have been in there at the same time you were!!

Um...you were dork.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:26:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Well I had the day off so a buddie and i drove down to WHittakers  he had never been.  Didnt really buy much  a graphite cleaning rod,  a high cap mag for my glock and well cant leave with out ammo. he was inpresssed to say the least. Im sure he will be going back. WHat other way to spend a morning off from work eh!  Got home around noon and got called into work well got to get the gun money some way  cant turn down double time for holiday lol.   so got another guy hooked on whitakers!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:35:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Just an update on strictly shooting:

I went there last week to blow my $50 certificate.  Only thing I really needed was ammo so that's what I got.  Ended up with 7 boxes of Q3131, a box of .45, and a box of 00B.  The Q3131 had the low low price of $5.25/box.  Could have been worse I guess.  I then told the guy I wanted a box of .45 auto.  He opened a new case and got some box out that looked like it was reloads, but he said it wasn't.  It is called "independance", did some searching and it seems to have mixed reviews.  I asked him if he just had regular winchester ball, and he said they "quit carrying winchester because they had an 8% misfire rate."  What the hell is that all about?  Must be another gunshop story, because I've never had 8 misfires in my life, even shooting 8mm from  1943!  Anyhow, I didn't feel like making a scene so I got a box of buck (once again, a brand I'd never heard of, think it's spanish) to go with the other stuff and checked out, then left.

Fired a couple rounds of the buck in my M3, and it shot pretty decent.  All 9 pellets hit an 8X11 card at 20yds.  Haven't shot the .45 yet, hopefully I won't have 4 misfires from that box like I would if I was shooting that crappy winchester stuff, LOL.  

BTW- If anybody wants to go shooting and can't find a place or wants to shoot longer distance (200yds+), let me know.  Out in the country, we don't have range officers, we just use common sense
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:01:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Y'all know that Whittakers has a 300 yd range with a 25 yd pistol range don't you? It's like $4.00 for all day. It has benches at both the pistol and rifle range houses. I believe 4 benches on the rifle range are inside a shed! The rest are outdoors.

On the rifle range, you can drive your truck out to check the 200 and 300 yd targets. You can also do about anything that's safe, like tannerite and fully auto. No range Nazis!

On the pistol side, we have set up mutiple targets and done shoot and move drills. No problem. I usually go early and shoot pistol first. There has never been a problem with running drills. Draw and shoot, etc.

The little shop there has pop and targets and a limmited supply of ammo, but Whittakers store is only 4 miles down the road if you need ANYTHING else.

There is some sort of shotgun range, but I know nothing about it.

The only downside is it's only open weekends.

ETA: We should have an ARFCOM shoot up there sometime soon!

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:13:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Y'all know that Whittakers has a 300 yd range with a 25 yd pistol range don't you? It's like $4.00 for all day. It has benches at both the pistol and rifle range houses. I believe 4 benches on the rifle range are inside a shed! The rest are outdoors.

On the rifle range, you can drive your truck out to check the 200 and 300 yd targets. You can also do about anything that's safe, like tannerite and fully auto. No range Nazis!

On the pistol side, we have set up mutiple targets and done shoot and move drills. No problem. I usually go early and shoot pistol first. There has never been a problem with running drills. Draw and shoot, etc.

The little shop there has pop and targets and a limmited supply of ammo, but Whittakers store is only 4 miles down the road if you need ANYTHING else.

There is some sort of shotgun range, but I know nothing about it.

The only downside is it's only open weekends.

ETA: We should have an ARFCOM shoot up there sometime soon!

I'm so there!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:08:21 PM EDT
[#22]
ARFCOM shoot sounds like a good idea. I'm in .
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:07:15 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd probably make the trip for another arfcom shoot.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:12:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Somebody pick a date and I'll post it in the KY forum too. Gotta be a Sat or Sun.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:32:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Where is Whittakers in west Louisville?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:47:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:16:20 PM EDT
[#27]
ARFCOM shoot is scheduled for 10AM on the 11th of Feb., at Whittakers range.

How does that work for everybody?    

Incidently, I spoke with Darrell Whittaker today and he told me that 500 and 1000yd targets are comming this summer!!      
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:10:42 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
ARFCOM shoot is scheduled for 9AM on the 11th of Feb., at Whittakers range.

How does that work for everybody?    

Incidently, I spoke with Darrell Whittaker today and he told me that 500 and 1000yd targets are comming this summer!!      

Pretty sure that weekend is open, but 9AM!  I'll probably be fashionably late around...wait Eastern time or Central there?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:37:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Central Time. 9AM is just a time....just make it when it's comfortabe for you. Ain't no Peeenalty fer bein' late!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:17:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Not that I'm the only guy going, but 9am wouldn't be possible for me. Not because I'm a lazy ass.....I work early Saturday mornings. Push it up to around Noon and I'll be there! Or, if you think you guys will still be there around noon I'll make the trip.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:34:37 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Not that I'm the only guy going, but 9am wouldn't be possible for me. Not because I'm a lazy ass.....I work early Saturday mornings. Push it up to around Noon and I'll be there! Or, if you think you guys will still be there around noon I'll make the trip.

We'll be there, (a few of us anyway), all day long. I've got lots of ammo to shoot up and the other guys in our club do too. Not to mention several dozen different guns needing shot!

Just get there as soon as you can.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:18:53 AM EDT
[#32]
I've got to give Strictly Shooting some respect in this thread.
I bought a safe from SS and the whole ordeal was perfect.  I worked with Matt.  I think that is his name.  He is the Co-Owner with his brother.  Couldn't ask for a nicer guy.  Didn't try to sell me this-and-that.  Just courteous and answered all of my questions without acting like I'm taking up his time.  He called me on time, arrived on time, set up the safe on time, and was very concerned about my satisfaction.  I will go back.

I have spent WAY too much money with Whittaker over the last 15 years or so.  Hell, I'm sure I paid for a portion of his new shop.  One thing that bothers me is that almost everytime I go in there I'm treated like I'm going to buy some 22 short ammo for $1.  I'm not looking for special treatment, but damnit it's almost like he has got so big that he doesn't really care if you come back or not.
The problem is .....you do go back because it benefits you to get the better deal there.  What I really miss is the good ole' days of bullshitting with the shop owners before you even look to see what they have new.  
Maybe it's just me, but if I've given you thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars in business,  treat me with a smile and ask me how I'm doing.

I'm to the point that I'm going to start giving smaller shops my business.  Even if it means spending a little more money.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:13:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Updated for this Saturdays' shoot!! Y'all come!!

shoot info
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:25:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Another place in Evansville for good ammo prices and better prices on rifles and pistols is Siegels. It's an outfitter for LEO's but a former EPD armorer(Brett Hilsmeyer) started a shop in there. He deals in AR's, tactical accessories and tactical ammo. Glocks are about $40.00 less than Strictly. He's got Eotecs for $299. Worth checking out. He's starting some tactical training courses too.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:55:05 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Another place in Evansville for good ammo prices and better prices on rifles and pistols is Siegels. It's an outfitter for LEO's but a former EPD armorer(Brett Hilsmeyer) stated a shop in there. He deals in AR's, tactical accessories and tactical ammo. Glocks are about $40.00 less than Strictly. He's goEotecs for $299. Worth checking out. He's starting some tactical training courses too.

How do ya get there???
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:01:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Lloyd Expressway (S.R. 62) west of Hwy 41.  
Take the Martin Luther King Jr Exit, south on MLK
turn right on Main street.
Turn Left on 4th Street.
1 block, and boom...you're there.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:44:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Brett's business name is Acme Gun Training. He has a Sure Fire low light tactics course coming up. I'll keep you all posted. Supposed to be the best low light course offered. Going to do the live fire at  the Vanderburgh Sheriffs traing facility. Also found out that Eotec just raised thier prices to $315. Just talked to Brett and it sounds like the course will be offered in the fall. Still a ways off.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:48:56 PM EDT
[#38]
So far as Stricktly shooting, prices are a little high but they do have a good selection. Matthew and Mark have always taken good care of me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top