Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2005 6:32:47 PM EDT
Some of you know that I work for a limestone company. Last week, we started fabrication of stone to replace old, damaged stone around the base of the Soldiers and Sailors monument in Indy (Circle City). The stone that is being replaced is the large frisbee-looking ring that goes around the base. This section is made up of twelve separate pieces, with four of these pieces weighing 30,000 pounds EACH!!! The large pieces are definitely taxing our equiment, as only one of our three overhead cranes is rated for that much weight. I heard that we originally turned down the job, but that they made an offer that the company I work for couldn't refuse. We are required to have the stone completed and ready to ship within 3 months, so I figure that repair work will start on the monument in the spring.

Anyone have any decent photos of it?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:12:04 AM EDT
[#1]
May not be a decent photo in terms of details if you need them for your work, but I have a few cool ones.  I will look for them.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:45:16 AM EDT
[#2]
tag for the pics
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:38:59 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
tag for the pics

+1.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:35:02 AM EDT
[#4]
We were just downtown this afternoon going to a camara shop. Even had the camara with us and I didn't think of taking pics. I did google and this is what I came up with.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:46:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
We were just downtown this afternoon going to a camara shop. Even had the camara with us and I didn't think of taking pics. I did google and this is what I came up with.

That's awesome.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:57:32 AM EDT
[#6]
When I was a kid, Mom & Dad would drive us around the circle to look at  the lights.  The city would string Christmas lights from the top of the monument to the ground to make it look like a big Christmas tree.  

I'm downtown quite a bit but never during the holidays, do they still do that???
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:04:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
When I was a kid, Mom & Dad would drive us around the circle to look at  the lights.  The city would string Christmas lights from the top of the monument to the ground to make it look like a big Christmas tree.  

I'm downtown quite a bit but never during the holidays, do they still do that???

yes they do. Actually a very beautiful site.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:35:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Thanks! That's exactly what I wanted to see. We're using huge patterns at work, but I just wanted to see some photos of what were were doing.

In the above photos, notice the semi-circle ring that the monuments sit on. That is the part we are replacing. The photos don't show the magnitude of these pieces. There are six stones on each side making up the circular base. Of these six stones on each side, the two that meet the wall are the largest. They are around 208 cubic feet each. Considering that stone weighs 150 pounds per cubic foot, each of these stones weighs around 31,200 pounds. For comparison, a 2005 Ford Mustang weighs 3500 pounds, meaning one of those stones weighs the equivalent of 9 of these Mustangs (31,500).

I'll have to take time to visit the monument one of these days.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:37:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I'll have to take time to visit the monument one of these days.

Same here.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:51:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Just to give a little perspective, what I have circled is the doors leading into the monument. If you haven't been there, the sheer size of it is really hard to grasp.

Anyone getting to Indy to see this beautiful site, shoot me an IM, I'll try to meet you downtown.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:54:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/nuttinhny/eastmomument.jpg

Just to give a little perspective, what I have circled is the doors leading into the monument.

I never noticed the doors. Okay then, the stone ring that you walk under is what were are fabricating.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:18:26 AM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:16:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the additional photos, Zoub.

Well, guys, the pressure is on me now. One of the large pieces was placed on my sawbed right before quitting time today, so that I may rough out a large section for the stone carvers. The foreman wanted me to come in early Monday morning on overtime alone and start on it. I told him that there was no way in heck that I was going to even start the blade into it without a supervisor present. There are too many lines drawn on it, and my foreman tried to explain what they all meant in about a minute's time before the quitting-time buzzer. I could just see myself "sticking" something of untold value. I'd say this one piece easily has a 5-figure pricetag on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top