Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2005 10:51:28 PM EDT
I'm stuck in the people's republik of Illinoisie and I was wondering, if I chose to move to Indiana, where should I look?

I'm 22, single, and I have friends in Elkhart and near Indy.  I work for the US Postal Service as a maintenance mechanic so there needs to be a large mail processing facility nearby.  Other than that, I'm a gun-a-holic and I need OUT of Illinois. :)
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 4:51:16 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm 22, single, and I have friends in Elkhart and near Indy.  I work for the US Postal Service as a maintenance mechanic so there needs to be a large mail processing facility nearby.

The Greater Indianapolis Area would probably be your best bet.

Welcome!
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 5:37:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I've lived in northern, central, and southern Indiana.  I prefer the south.
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 5:52:05 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm stuck in the people's republik of Illinoisie and I was wondering, if I chose to move to Indiana, where should I look?

I'm 22, single, and I have friends in Elkhart and near Indy.  I work for the US Postal Service as a maintenance mechanic so there needs to be a large mail processing facility nearby.  Other than that, I'm a gun-a-holic and I need OUT of Illinois. :)

Bloomington has this plus IU stuff and when you get out into Monroe and the ring counties it is like living in the country.
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 7:35:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Move to the near east side of Indy and you will be close to the Women's Prison and can get first shot at the ones they release
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 8:34:38 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Move to the near east side of Indy and you will be close to the Women's Prison and can get first shot at the ones they release

When I was really young, I lived right across the street from that prison in Woodruff Place.  I remember watching the women tending the gardens they had.  I think all that garden space is now covered by additional buildings.  Anyway, I was too young to be of any service to those ladies!  
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 11:58:57 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 12:42:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Best jobs would be in Indianapolis or the surounding areas.  I'm working for hospitals in Beech Grove, Mooresville and I65 and County Line Rd and really like the area.  I may sell the house on the north side of Indy in the next few years and buy some land south east of Indy.  Maybe New Pal...
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 3:42:16 PM EDT
[#8]
LAKE COUNTY!

Seriously, I like living in 'the region'. Been here 30 years and I love it!

Lake Michigan is great for boating and fishing. Very close to Chicago for all the sporting events,
summer events, etc. Something like 10+ gun shops. Gander Mountain, Fetlas, Blythes, etc, etc, etc. Dick's Sporting Goods are coming to Hobart, Bass Pro is coming to Portage, Cabela's is coming to Hammond, etc.

Plenty of ranges, indoor and outdoor.

Link Posted: 11/28/2005 4:26:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I couldn't agree more!
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 4:44:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm in Lake county & I have to say, you can do much better.  In Lake co. you may have Lake Michigan, but you get what surrounds it, too.  Namely Gary, East Chicago & Hammond.  I'm looking for property in the Indy area, may be living there by summer.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 6:16:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'm in Lake county & I have to say, you can do much better.  In Lake co. you may have Lake Michigan, but you get what surrounds it, too.  Namely Gary, East Chicago & Hammond.  I'm looking for property in the Indy area, may be living there by summer.

Agreed.  I should ask my dad's co-worker that lives in Hammond how he likes it.  There's other surrounding areas around Lake County that are "too close" to Gary.  I know Gungho was talking in a thread here about how he used to live in Demotte and it was too close to Gary.  

I hear Lawrence County is nice.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 5:57:09 AM EDT
[#12]
The Lawrence, Jackson, Bartholomew counties are nice as well as many others.

I'm in Jackson!
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 12:10:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I have lived in Lake County my whole life right next to Gary, East Chicago, and Lake Station and no one that I know have never had any problems living here.

Its nice to have Lake Michigan and Chicago so close.

Its a great place to live im planning to move back after I get out of the Army.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 12:11:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
LAKE COUNTY!

Lake Michigan is great for boating and fishing. Very close to Chicago for all the sporting events,
summer events, etc. Something like 10+ gun shops. Gander Mountain, Fetlas, Blythes, etc, etc, etc. Dick's Sporting Goods are coming to Hobart, Bass Pro is coming to Portage, Cabela's is coming to Hammond, etc.

when is Dick's coming to Hobart? thats the first I have heard that
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 4:12:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 4:07:34 PM EDT
[#16]
If you come to the west side you might wanna brush up on your spanish
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 2:36:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 2:45:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Don't come south...we are being over-run with Mexicans
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 4:48:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Another +1 for Southern.
I'm in Clark Co.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 5:37:04 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Apparently, you haven't driven thru Goshen or Ligonier lately...
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 6:00:01 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't have to...I have 20 of them within a baseball's throw from my house, in one house...

Hence why I sold my house and moving...Floyd County is turning into a little Mexico....and Clark County is not far behind..
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 7:23:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 7:51:07 AM EDT
[#23]
I have some family in Idaville, and several others in the surronding area.

In Clark, I'm luckiy enough to be buying 5 acres of what's left of the family farm, with 10-15 acre family oned buffers on each side.

I'll be moving in there in a month or so...
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 8:23:14 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

In Clark, I'm luckiy enough to be buying 5 acres of what's left of the family farm, with 10-15 acre family oned buffers on each side.

I'll be moving in there in a month or so...

You know where Southern Hills is in Borden?

We bought a house there on the lake...

At least in Borden they have not yet infested. They seem to hive together in cities, so that they may run them down....
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 10:06:03 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't have to...I have 20 of them within a baseball's throw from my house, in one house...

Hence why I sold my house and moving...Floyd County is turning into a little Mexico....and Clark County is not far behind..

Most of the signs in downtown Ligonier are now Spanish only.
Stood in line for stamps at the Post Office with about 8 other people, I was the only one who spoke English. That was a year ago.
The lady that waited on me made a point of thanking me because her Spanish was not too good.

Sorry for the highjack of this thread... Just calling it like I see it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 11:46:25 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stood in line for stamps at the Post Office with about 8 other people, I was the only one who spoke English. That was a year ago.
The lady that waited on me made a point of thanking me because her Spanish was not too good.

It's like that at Wal-Mart, Meijer, Kmart, ect here. I'm moving because the place I moving to, the people are like me...same color and speak English. Sorry, but I'm fed up with "those" people...

If I had my druthers on where to I would move to, it would be farther north, in the south central Indiana area.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 4:03:15 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're kidding, I'm on Perry Crossing now, moving to Allentown Road.  Where do you shoot?  I'm hoping to get a range built, when I get moved.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 4:53:59 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
It's like that at Wal-Mart, Meijer, Kmart, ect here. I'm moving because the place I moving to, the people are like me...same color and speak English. Sorry, but I'm fed up with "those" people...

If I had my druthers on where to I would move to, it would be farther north, in the south central Indiana area.

You should move to Martin County.  This place has a population of at least 98% of what you are looking for.  We have a good mexican restaurant, but the amigos who own and operate the joint don't even live here.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 5:10:10 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

You're kidding, I'm on Perry Crossing now, moving to Allentown Road.  Where do you shoot?  I'm hoping to get a range built, when I get moved.

We shoot at one of my best friends parent's land. It allows us to do more combat style shooting that is frown upon at the local ranges...

But..since I will be less than 5 minutes from Southern Indiana Pistol and Rifle club's range, I may re-new my membership that I once had.

I built over the summer a SPRish rifle that I would love to shoot at longer ranges. The only downside to where we shoot now is that we are limited to 100 yards.

The up side, our new house is on a 80 acre lake!
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 5:12:23 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You should move to Martin County.  This place has a population of at least 98% of what you are looking for.  We have a good mexican restaurant, but the amigos who own and operate the joint don't even live here.

Sounds like my kind of town...however, my wife has a very sucessful Law Practice in Louisville, KY. She has a excellent rep and alot of clients. Kinda hard to pick up and move.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 5:14:03 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We shoot at one of my best friends parent's land. It allows us to do more combat style shooting that is frown upon at the local ranges...

But..since I will be less than 5 minutes from Southern Indiana Pistol and Rifle club's range, I may re-new my membership that I once had.

I built over the summer a SPRish rifle that I would love to shoot at longer ranges. The only downside to where we shoot now is that we are limited to 100 yards.

SIP&R is a great range, My wife's uncle and I shoot there.  I'm not a member, but he is.  Great hiking in that area too.  Relatives own "top of the Rock" there, we get up there to camp once in a while.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 5:21:11 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SIP&R is a great range, My wife's uncle and I shoot there.  I'm not a member, but he is.  Great hiking in that area too.  Relatives own "top of the Rock" there, we get up there to camp once in a while.

I have never been up there, but a guy I used to work with in Louisville, in Corrections, goes up there a lot.

I would like to see the inside of it..
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 9:20:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 8:26:41 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lake Shafer?  Monticello? Do you know Jim Saylor?

I've got some land on US-24 (one mile west of Idaville) & my sister owns the little store in "down-town" Idaville.

Checking into it, that sounded like a loaded question  Do you knowe anyone named Haas in the area?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:22:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Damn, I forgot about this thread.  Thanks guys for the info.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:06:03 AM EDT
[#36]
I have to recommend Fort Wayne.  Large city, quick trip to the outskirts and open space.  I grew  up there - so I am biased.  

Funny, I'm moving IL.  

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:01:20 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Funny, I'm moving IL.  

What?  You are moving from Indiana to Illi-communisthellhole-nois?   DON'T DO IT!!  For the love of all the is holy.....

As long as you are leaving....  need me to ...uh... store any of your guns?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:20:29 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Quoted:

As long as you are leaving....  need me to ...uh... store any of your guns?

Why would he do that?  We can have everything that isn't class III here.  Owning isnt the problem.  It's carrying that seems to be the problem with these numb nuts.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:22:33 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
LAKE COUNTY!

Lake County has been nice to me so far!  Born and raised here all 29+ years of my life.  

I live in Crown Point just off of 231 from I65 and work in Munster at the Illinois border.  I wish I could get a better job in Illinois but don't want to give up the right to carry my handgun.  I don't feel the need to have it but I'm not eager to give up any rights if you want to look at it that way.

Lake Michigan was always fun as a kid.  Friends, relatives, anyone from the East or West Coast would swear it was the ocean but the Sand Dunes were the icing on the cake!

I work as a draftsman at a Land Surveying company and would rather become a Cop.  My job sucks.  But, I'm putting my fiancee through Design School in Chicago and hopefully there will be a high paying career for her that will allow me to try other things.

I drive through Gary (techinically) on my way to work.  I don't worry per se that I live near Gary but it's definitely an annoying dealing with many of these people on the roads or in busy areas.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top