Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2005 12:55:24 AM EDT
Is selling Airsoft.

WTF is going on?? I give it less than 2 years before its out of buisness.
None of the original owners have a part in it.  The name is all that remains. Scott Albro, Dave Croucher, and Paul Zimmerman all gone. Some guy named Randy now owns it.  Well it was a good run while it lasted
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:35:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I have been in several gun shops all across the country and there are LOTS of them selling AIRSOFT stuff.  I don't think it is in any way a reflection of the service, or deals that you can get at Albros.  I think that out of all of the shops in Central Indiana they have the best deals on weapons and accessories.  And they seem the most willing to deal on what they have.

I like Bradis and Elmore's also, but I always feel a bit like I am intruding on the "Regulars" when I go to Elmore's and Bradis is a bit of a drive for me.

Randy is a good guy, and so is Gungho_1989 who works there.  Give them a chance and they will take care of you.

And I don't see selling AIRSOFT as a sign of a slowing financial situation, more about opening up the product lines.  When Paul was around, did you ever see any Black rifle stuff in there?  Not much if any.  Go look around now.  Things have changed...... For the BETTER!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:40:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Randy has owned it for a couple months. If selling them helps him stay open the who cares. He still will be selling the real stuff.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:24:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I guess I just miss Scott

Did you ever go there when Scott owned it? That man knew how to run a gunshop.

Do you see airsoft @ Elmores, Bob Cheeks shop?  No and you know why? Because they are a gun shop.  Not Toys R Us .  
Bradis is becoming more like a flea  market than anything else. They have more junk than i have ever seen at a gunshop. Except maybe Ludcos, but he has more guns than junk. Come to think about it Ludcos has more guns than any gunshop that i have ever seen.

I have yet to see airsoft at any reputable shop.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:57:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I guess I just don't see the Airsoft stuff as such a big deal.  I am thinking about getting my 5 yr old a airsoft to kinda get started with.

I frequented the shop when Scott owned it and frankly, I think it is better now.  When Scott owned it there wasn't much in the way of variety for the BRD, now... Bushy's, Armalite's Surefire, Aimpoint, Eotech...etc.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I think Albros is a good shop, better than most by far, especially when it comes to prices.

Besides, business is business, and let's face it, people own businesses to make money.  The bottom line speaks the loudest.  I could see if he was selling beef jerky and beanie babies, but that's not the case.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:57:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Is selling Airsoft.

WTF is going on?? I give it less than 2 years before its out of buisness.
None of the original owners have a part in it.  The name is all that remains. Scott Albro, Dave Croucher, and Paul Zimmerman all gone. Some guy named Randy now owns it.  Well it was a good run while it lasted

I am a part time employee there at Albro's. The Airsoft stuff is by no means going to be a staple at our shop. We were approached by a distributor about carrying a few on a trial basis only. It seemed to be something worth trying out to see if it works out.

As far as two years and we will be gone? well might not take that long due to the fact that as of now we are closed due to the BATF's inability to process our FFL in a timely manner. We were faxed a copy of our new FFL but the Numbers we need are not legible. The FFL may take another several days to get to us with our packet. So you may have got your wish two years ahead of time.
Right now we are dealing with alot of bureaucratic bullshit and can't get anything accomplished at this point. Please bear with us and have a little patience.

Yes the shop is under new ownership and there alot of things we are trying to make better. We would like to veer away from being known as an OLD Fogies shop and get into a product that is going to bring you guys in there. We want to know what you guys want. If you want to give us your opinions we would like to hear them. The airsoft, well we will just have to see if it stays or goes depending on Sales. With Wally World and Gander Mountain setting up on our doorstep, we have to change to even survive. So it is you guys here and elswhere that we need the support of. Let us know what you want, and we'll see if we can get it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:15:33 PM EDT
[#6]

So which is better?

Well from a dealer standpoint apparantly Airsoft wins hands down.

To try and generate some volume sales (thereby putting me into a higher dealer sales category) I did a Group Buy on Gen 3 Glock 17s and 19s about a month ago and offered them at $10 above my current dealer price. I wouldn't make very much and I'd have to sell almost 50 of them to even get a free one for myself but if I moved enough of them my price dealer price would be lower next time around.

So I got a group buy going on Preban.com announced before it went under and I sent out a mass email to everyone on my "specials" contact list. One of the guys who did participate even linked the Group Buy on Glocktalk. I thought for sure this would go over big and didn't really look forward to all the work that would be coming my way for only $10 per gun.

And......nothing. Well almost nothing.

In the end I took about a dozen orders and when I finally get them delivered I will have made a bit over $100. Woo Hoo!

I won't even get into Glocks retarded distributor programs or the fact that suddenly NOBODY seems to have them. This despite the fact that I can barely GIVE them away.

Long story short, I don't think I will be doing much with Glock products in the near future. Hard to get, virtually no room for any kind of price markup and almost impossible to sell (even at $10 above dealer price).

Now also about a month ago I had one of my buddies who sells paintball / airsoft stuff telling me about how these new electronic airsofts are the greatest thing since sliced bread, etc. Full auto rechargable like the $400+ Tokyo Maru guns only they retail at around $50. Honestly I couldn't give a fuck about airsoft and I tune out about 90% of whatever he is yapping about when he is telling me about the newest / latest whatever the fuck he is selling this month. I don't care and I'm pretty much not interested in airsoft at all.

But to get him the leave me the hell alone I agreed to try and move some of these things on a firearms auction site that had an airsoft category so he'd quit pestering me. I didn't mention them on any airsoft message boards (I'm not even sure where they are) and I "thought" that would be the end of it. I figured the ads would run, get virtually no response and I simply wouldn't renew them.

The airsofts in question retail for about $50 and I pay $40 so much like the Glocks I make $10 per sale. Only the airsofts were not a coordinated Group Buy and I didn't expect to move a single one of the damn things, even at $50.00.

Long story short, I can't get these damn things fast enough. I've sold enough of them in the last 2 weeks to buy a Glock. Despite being somewhat backordered they only take a week or so to get them and any extras I order are sold by the time we get them.

So apparantly the days of Glock being the "Uber Gun" from Die Hard 2 that costs a months pay but will go right through an airport metal detector are over. You can't give them away.

But airsoft sales (even on real gun auction sites) are impressive and even though I am not any kind of dedicated airsoft player or dealer I can't get the things fast enough.

Kinda a sad commentary.

Interesting commentary form another dealer on this site.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:29:49 PM EDT
[#7]
And don't forget that airsoft can be a valuable training tool as well.  It's an excellent (and inexpensive) way to practice force-on-force tactics.

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:00:07 PM EDT
[#8]
If you guys really want to get something going how about some receivers? AR and Global AK receivers, No other dealer in town carries them. Bradis carries AR receivers but they want $189.00 for it I did'nt ask who the manufactuer is.  Surplus rifles, surplus ammo, I'm sure you can get some Nagants coming in and move them as long as the price is reasonable.  I really dont wish Albros to close, but selling airsoft  toys isnt cool.  But if it works for you then by all means go for it.

good  luck
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:29:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I will run the Nagants pass the boss. I will also mention the ammo issue again. Good quality surplus ammo is something we are seriously looking at but finding a price people can be happy with is an issue since many people now buy from the same sources we do.
Rhino You are correct the Airsoft was something we considered due to some requests by some LEO's and a few others.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:34:35 PM EDT
[#10]
On the recievers we do have some more on order I beleive they are going to be Stag Arms but I am not sure.
We also have a Eagle Arms lower with the 5 pos stock at 289.00 I bleive.

Let me know guys Ill make up a list of what you are looking for and take it to the shop. If you want P M me or list it here. Also I want to hear about your experiences in our shop, good or bad.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:07:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Most of my firearms I have bought at Albro's.  I only buy at other shops when Albro doesn't have what I need - which has happened a few times. Last time I went there, however, they did have more stuff.  Good call on the EOTechs, though when I was in market for one, they didn't have it.  
The fact that they are selling airsoft doesn't bother me one bit so long as I can still get what I need.  If the new owner stays loyal to the customer by continuing to keep the lowest prices in town, I will keep going there.

Ps. Gungho, are you the guy who wears the AR15 T-shirt?  
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:40:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Bradis carries AR receivers but they want $189.00 for it I did'nt ask who the manufactuer is.

Bushmaster.

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:05:48 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Ps. Gungho, are you the guy who wears the AR15 T-shirt?  

Has to be him, tall guy with a beer gut, goatie and mustache, flat-top haircut?  He is there 2 or 3 nights a week and every other Saturday.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:28:26 AM EDT
[#14]
I have worn my AR15.com shirt in there a few times, Its a good community to belong to and want you guys to know which shitbird I am. WOuld hate to be mistaken for the new owner
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:41:49 AM EDT
[#15]

beer gut

I always considered mine a shed, as in "Every good tool needs a shed"  LOL!!!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 3:02:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Personally, the Airsoft is the least of the problems there.  I've spent a few thousand dollars at Albro's over the years and since Paul sold out I've been in 2 or 3 times.  every time I'm less happy with the selection, prices and the way the help sits with their feet propped up and argues and yells at each other.  

I sure hope Paul got paid up front.

I for one will not be stopping back by and I drive past the store every day.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:03:42 PM EDT
[#17]

You should let Gungho_1989 know what you would like to see change so he can help make it happen.  Keep offering input and things will get better.

Damn, my last post was 666!!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:50:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

You should let Gungho_1989 know what you would like to see change so he can help make it happen.  Keep offering input and things will get better.

Damn, my last post was 666!!

I'm the customer, my job is to work my ass off and look at as many stores as possible to find something to spend my hard earned money on.  Your (or Randy's job, is to have what I want or can't live without at a price that compells me to open my wallet.

There are plenty of other shops that cater to my needs and wants.  Remember, I'm the customer.  Also, I'm one of the very few that are on the internet talking about Albro's.  How many more are not on the net or not letting anyone know about their issues.  As a store owner Randy should be thinking about his customers.  Have they really changed that much since he bought the store from Paul or has Randy ran off some of the faithful?  Paul never had to bring in toys to make ends meet.  

My point is that Randy needs to figure out what his customers, the died in the wool, true blue customers, want and take care of them.  There are several stores with a better inventory and that trade better.  Like I said, I won't ber back.  Don't count on me to right anyone's wrongs.  I'm just taking a few minutes to acknowledge that there IS an issue and that Randy better stand up and take notice of it or his investment will have been wasted.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:27:14 PM EDT
[#19]

My point is that Randy needs to figure out what his customers, the died in the wool, true blue customers, want and take care of them.  There are several stores with a better inventory and that trade better.  Like I said, I won't ber back.  Don't count on me to right anyone's wrongs.  I'm just taking a few minutes to acknowledge that there IS an issue and that Randy better stand up and take notice of it or his investment will have been wasted.

I appreciate and thank you for your opinions. I hope that you give us a try sometime down the road again.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:56:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Good News for today. I just got off the phone with Randy and the FFL paperwork came in this morning so the shop is open today.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top