Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2005 6:11:32 AM EDT
Hey all - Im pretty new to the board and just stumbled into the indiana threads -

Just wanted to drop in and say hey -

I live in hamilton county
- I do most of my shooting in tipton county (where my parents live)

I do have a question: - Anyone here go to the 1500 Gun and Knife show regualry ? I think im gonnat ry to pick up my first AR at the next one (end of october) - I would like to get a RRA flatop with removable handel - Think the show would be a good place to look ?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:45:41 AM EDT
[#1]
The 1500 would probably be a little pricey for most  items.  If you know how you want it configured, I'd buy the kit and/or appropriate parts and build it yourself.  

There are folks around here who can get you the lower.  BTW..RRA is way backed up on lowers from what I hear?

Don't be timid about building your AR.  You'll get exactly what you want at a better price.  When I built mine, it turned out great.  I don't have all the tools to do it, but there are alot of folks who frequent the Indiana board here who do and I'm sure would be glad to help you it they can.

Good Luck...

ETA:  Welcome aboard..and remember the cardinal rule....GET BOTH!!  

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:20:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I have always had good luck at the 1500s.  You just have to remember to look around for the best deals.  Don't be afraid to take a small notebook and write down prices.  Then, when you've covered most of the stands, you can go back and buy what you want from the one with the best price.  At the last show (end of Aug), there were several dealers with stipped lowers.  I saw several Stag for $99 and a lot of RRA for around $125.  J&T Distributing and PK Firearms both carry good parts kits for around $55 and both carry a variety of uppers.  PK is an industry partner here so you can find there info in the industry forum.  They would probably be willing to work up any custom upper you want and bring it to the show if you call them a couple weeks in advance.

Yes you could get what you want online, but then you have to mess with the FFL transfer fees.  Face to face is always my preferance when dealing with recievers.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:38:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:57:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Welcome, if you need any tools for assembly, or get some mis-matched color on your parts let me know.  I do refinishing with Norrell's MolyResin and live on the southside of Indy.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:06:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I have always had good luck at the 1500 in the past but the last couple the prices have been at retail,no good deals that I found.I would keep a close eye on the eqip.exch. here and a few other web sites.Also ask!!!!!!!!Many many people on here can get you pointed in the right direction of good deals.

Welcome aboard and good luck.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:11:33 PM EDT
[#6]
If I were you, I'd look to buy the lower receiver at the show so you save the transfer fee.  ($100 x .06 = $6  vs.  $15-25 transfer fee)  Then order your kit from whoever you want.  You may save by ordering the kit because shipping might be less than sales tax.  Probably depends on the kit you get.  The upside to buying a kit at the show is you can inspect the upper you're buying and maybe pick up other little accessories you want also.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top