Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2005 6:22:08 AM EDT
It seems that in all of the 1500 threads there are always people pretty disappointed about what they see.  I know that parking and admission fees are high but I think it is worth it to be able to walk into one place and be able to look at about any type of firearm or accessory available...even if some vendors are outrageous on their prices.

I go to every show, and I sometimes make a return visit on Sunday afternoon if I go on Friday or Saturday.  It also seems like I always come home with a new gun that I considered to be a good deal, and I enjoy hanging out and meeting new people who share similar interests as myself.

Another reason is I guess I just appreciate the fact that gun shows are still in existence even after all the political pressure to shut them down.  

Anyone else enjoy the 1500
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:44:29 AM EDT
[#1]
It is what it is.  If you want a modern gun you should be able to find it there at a decent price.  I picked up a new surefire, some ammo cans, gun belt, etc... all stuff I want but its nice to go to one place and be able to get everything I want.  Plus i like to watch all the freaks.

-Nuke
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:36:40 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I think it is worth it to be able to walk into one place and be able to look at about any type of firearm or accessory available

If the 1500 was actually as you describe, it would be worth it!  As it is, however, I walk in and see tables and tables of the same old, tired sh*t (and I mean the same individual guns in many cases!) at prices similar to or well above what you can find at the local shops or via the internet.

There are a few exceptions (most notably on the AR side of the house, with vendors like PK, Lone Star, J&T and others), but they are decidedly in the minority. Not to mention all the table space wasted with stuff like surgical instruments, jerkey, chocolate-covered peanuts, blinky pins and flying pigs...

A friend of mine who was a vendor at the 1500 last weekend, said the Dayton/Hara Arena and Knob Creek shows are GUN SHOWS; the 1500 is a flea market.  I think he about nailed it.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:25:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I have been to many that were worse.  The fort wayne show a while back used to have a whole aisle or two full of trinkets.  I think i saw a couple tables of garbage at this one.  The guy with the surgical instruments is at all the shows, I believe he also sells a huge assortment of gun cleaning tools like brushes, etc...  There is a guy there with about every imaginable 1911 upgrade you could possibly want, TONS of people selling AR crap, a sure fire dealer with ALL of the lines, tons of tables of scopes from chinese crap to really good optics, a night vision dealer, several local NFA dealers, Midwest exchange is generally there with several tables full of the latest pistons... I can go on and on.

Yeah, some shows may be more 'real' to you, but the diversity isn't there.  I live in Indy - what other shows are there?  the one at the national guard armory?  That one is a joke.  Crown point is a good show, but it's small.  Maybe I should just go to Don's Guns ;)

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:33:55 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If the 1500 was actually as you describe, it would be worth it!  As it is, however, I walk in and see tables and tables of the same old, tired sh*t (and I mean the same individual guns in many cases!) at prices similar to or well above what you can find at the local shops or via the internet.

Preach it brother! I've seen the same M16 with a 203 at 2 or 3 shows.  MilSurp prices are ridiculous!  I saw >one< place with Yugo SKS's for $129.  Everyone else was in the $160 and up range.  M38 Mosin for $150??? Please.

There are a few exceptions (most notably on the AR side of the house, with vendors like PK, Lone Star, J&T and others), but they are decidedly in the minority. Not to mention all the table space wasted with stuff like surgical instruments, jerkey, chocolate-covered peanuts, blinky pins and flying pigs...

I've never understood the surgical instruments part.  Those people that are roasting the pecans just kill me...smells soo good.  The flying pig was at least kind of funny.

The mag dealer's prices are always way too high.  HK mags for $50??  It's like these dealers go to a local dealer, buy stuff, then try to resell it for a profit.  
All that said, I still like to go once or twice a year.  I get to see a ton of stuff, pic up some small items, maybe even a gun, without having to have it shipped from 10 different people.  I just wish there were some actual deals there.  You know, good prices?

Buckfever34, that's a pretty good drive for you isn't it?  I guess you take 65?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:31:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
All that said, I still like to go once or twice a year.  I get to see a ton of stuff, pic up some small items,

IME, the first show of the year is usually bigger and better than the rest, and is in the Pesi buildings. Whenever it's in the Expo Hall, it's smaller and not worth going to. The last couple times I've been, it's been at the request of buddies who wanted me to come along and help them shop, otherwise I'd have stayed home and kept my $12.

I've had good luck buying bulk ammo out there in the past, but last weekend there was very little to be seen, and most of that was Wolf or third-world crap (Olympic, Santa Barbara, etc).

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:50:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Now that I'm a member of OGCA, all the other shows are just trinket dealers IMHO.
Indy used to be a really good show, but I think it has really gone to the dogs.
Way too much to get in, way too far for me to travel and way too little deals.
Even just walking around, it is hard to get a reasonable deal.

Sure, I get to see some friends, but it sure is an expensive place just to meet & greet.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:25:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

A friend of mine who was a vendor at the 1500 last weekend, said the Dayton/Hara Arena and Knob Creek shows are GUN SHOWS; the 1500 is a flea market.  I think he about nailed it.

Hara, and KCR are not much better. KCR show used to have some of the best deals on the planet, now it is slowly becoming just like all the rest, have you noticed all the flea market stuff there? Pop guns, rubber band guns, airsoft, knock off t shirts, and junk knives. I went to KCR about 10 years ago and thought i had died and found heaven. These days no, it's just like all the rest.

Hara I've been to several concerts and gunshows there. The gunshows have been on the decline there as well. Same old shit , same old dealer asking the same old price, he is going to pack it up again, and bring it to the next show. I honestly want to know how some of these arrogant asshole dealers put food on the table. Remember when Hara used to occupy two rooms? Anyone remember Rapid Fire being there? Hara used to be a awesome show, but alas it has become just like all the rest.

The Indy 1500 used to happen twice a year anybody remember those days? That is when the 1500 rocked! The show was just awesome. Tons of stuff, great deals, no junk, and the smell of the almonds that followed you home buried in your sinuses.  If you didnt bring lots o cash you might as well stay home because there were deals all over the place. These days its just shop worn junk, it's gold to some of these vendors. I have seen the same dealer carry the SAME shopworn junk for years. Ask for their best price, hell you might as well ask them permission to take liberties with his wife. Your going to get the same answer.  There are very few good guy vendors at these shows but they are very few. Some of these vendors have actually held stuff under the table, to give me first dibbs and have waited for me to show up. Not knowing if I would even be there.  these few are the ones who get my money first.  I'm not the only person this is done for,  you know who you are, you have these vendors whom you shop regularly, the ones who go that extra mile.

The 1500 is just a shadow of its former self but yet it has become just like all the rest.

If you wanna go to a real good show, go to National Gun Day in Louisville. Just be sure to ignore the brillo head on the PA. Leave early, so you can take it all in. That is where I have found some very good deals.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:33:30 AM EDT
[#8]
This last show really sucked -- no ammo, no deals, no kidding.  I was in the market for a Kobra red dot or a pk-as.  Like many here I always walk out w/ a gun or two.  I bought a 3 day ticket and never even went back on sat. and sun.  I left friday night w/ the $500 cash I brought in.  Hell, I didn't even sport the $3 for a pretzel.  Same old dreary vendors.  No colt leo's, very little in the way of benelli tactical s/g's  (although Pop Guns did have a screaming deal on an m2 tactical).  

Best deal I saw was xm80 pd 7.62 LC @$170.   Wanted to purchase but didn't want to lug it 1mi. back to my car.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:32:36 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

IME, the first show of the year is usually bigger and better than the rest, and is in the Pesi buildings.

I agree.  

I didn't see any good deals that I can't already get at Albro's.  I did spend about $50, however, just to support the show, and will go to the next one for the same reason.

ETA:

Quoted:
Anyone else enjoy the 1500

I do.  It just wasn't as good as two shows ago.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:40:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have been to many that were worse.  The fort wayne show a while back used to have a whole aisle or two full of trinkets.  I think i saw a couple tables of garbage at this one.  The guy with the surgical instruments is at all the shows, I believe he also sells a huge assortment of gun cleaning tools like brushes, etc...  There is a guy there with about every imaginable 1911 upgrade you could possibly want, TONS of people selling AR crap, a sure fire dealer with ALL of the lines, tons of tables of scopes from chinese crap to really good optics, a night vision dealer, several local NFA dealers, Midwest exchange is generally there with several tables full of the latest pistons... I can go on and on.

Yeah, some shows may be more 'real' to you, but the diversity isn't there.  I live in Indy - what other shows are there?  the one at the national guard armory?  That one is a joke.  Crown point is a good show, but it's small.  Maybe I should just go to Don's Guns ;)

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:00:17 AM EDT
[#11]
So why do you guys even attend?  It seems like everyone goes each time the show happens then complain about how bad it is....if it's that bad why bother even going?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:22:12 AM EDT
[#12]
My complaint was limited to THIS show.  At the show before this I scored a sar 3/8 for $700 and a sar2 5.45 w/ 3mags for $250.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:17:08 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
So why do you guys even attend?  It seems like everyone goes each time the show happens then complain about how bad it is....if it's that bad why bother even going?

I have quit going to shows almost altogether. There are very few I will attend . I was so disapointed with the spring KCR show that I might not bother to go this time around. Same old situation, the net prices are better. I have learned to not be an instant gradification buyer.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:32:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I was there on Friday and had a couple of buds from Tennessee with me to see the show.  Big disappointment.  I drive up from Ky and usually manage to spend a few bucks.  Got out under $50 and hope the next show is better.  If you want to talk ripoff-come to Louseyville and go to the "BIG" JAG show at the fairgrounds on Sept 11th weekend(I think).  $5 parking and $10 to get in.  Rows and rows of scrap iron(rusted crap at $5 - $5000-no BS).  Collector displays, $25,000+ dreams to hang on the wall, little if any Class 3 or reloading supplies.  Rows of canvas goods and uniforms.  The show is big enough to have something for everyone and yet has lost the flavor of a gunshow pure and simple.  Guns, parts, ammo, reloading,  and class 3.  Will I be there-yep.  Will I gripe-yep.  Will I be back at Indy -yep.  A bad day at the Gunshow beats any day at the office.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:59:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I live 30 miles from Louisville, KY, and I would rather drive 95 miles to the INDY 1500 than to that rip-off National Gun Day. I spend $3.00 to park, and $7.00 to get into Indy. I spend $5.00 to park, and $10.00 at Louisville and have to walk what seems like 2 miles to get to the front door. I love gunshows, but it is expensive. I guess I go because there are a bunch of fellas there that think and live like I do. Well at least some of them.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:35:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Go to a gunshow in "Kaleefornyah" and then talk to me about lame shows. They are a craft show. You're lucky to find guns, it's all parts, old ammo, and some mil surplus that's been in a guys moldy basement. The only redeeming features of the Fresno shows was picking up ammo from Miwall because there prices were decent. But then they quit letting you place orders early and then pick it up at the show. Saved on shipping.
The Indy isn't bad. I like getting the chocolate covered blueberries to munch on while I'm looking, Plainfield shooting supply has 10% off used guns, them and Midwest usually have good stuff to look at. I'm paying no more $ than I would to go see a movie in the theater, I get to go fondle other people's guns and window shop for things I might be interested in, without having to keep asking a guy behind a counter to open a case again to show me something.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:42:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I agree the winter show in Indy is the best but I go to every show and find good deals.  Maybe it's because I'm not too interested in the "odd ball" stuff.  I'm looking at SIGs, Glocks, Kimbers and ARs.  There are always lots of this stuff and at good prices.  My buddy bought a like new in box Kimber Custom Classic from an individual for $500, try finding that deal in a shop or on the net.  At the June show I bought a LNIB Kimber Custom II for $425 from an individual (out the door, no tax or paperwork).   Plus you can see it all in one place.  All the good local dealers are there, Popguns, Albros, 500 Guns, Midwest, Plainfield and others plus all the AR dealers.  I saw RRA stripped lowers for $115.  Cheaper on the net?  Not that I've seen.  You can touch it, feel it and take it home with you.

There were NIW Eagle 30 round 10-22 mags for $10, NIW Center 30 round AR mags at two for $25 and NIW SIG P226 9mm 10 round ( I know they are 10 round but they are NIW factory mags) for $10.  These are out the door prices, no tax or shipping.

For the price of admission it's cheap entertainment.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top