Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/8/2005 5:52:47 AM EDT
Has anybody else noticed that the doves have done very well this year.  But like all birds they are evil and must be shot and eatten.  I have a Lab that loves to hunt.  Hunting is also a great way for arfcom members to meet.  I get in enough hunting that I don't even need to shoot, I can just work my dog.

So if any of you have farm land or access to a location with Doves and want to hunt it for Doves, let me know here.  A good dog makes it more fun and the national average is about 7 shots per bird taken so it is not exactly easy shooting eitther.  I average about 3+ shots per bird once I get dialed in.

FYI I prefer to marinade them in a homemade teriyaki sauce, wrap in bacon then slow cook on the
grill!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:48:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Not a hunter, but I wouldn't mind accompanying some fellow ARFcom'ers on such a mission just to see what it's all about.  

And I'm more than willing to help with the eating part!  Anything tastes good wrapped in bacon!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:26:24 PM EDT
[#2]
You gotta shoot a lot of dove to make a meal.. but thats OK...

Good practice for dove would be Skeet and maybe Sporting Clays..
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:07:00 PM EDT
[#3]
The best practice is to go to the Indy gun club, do the 5 stand alone and have the guy throw all high incoming or outgoing birds.

I may have to just go pay to hunt in a dove field.  The place I usually hunt Doves at is no more.  The old timer who owned the field became too sick last year to set the field up this year.  My asshole brother in law will probably tear the farm up and build homes on it.  Place had a lot of  history to it too.  What a waste.

FYI the limit is 15 birds a day!  If you hit a good field, carry about 75-100 shells to be safe, you can do it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:50:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got the shotgun and I could get the shells, but no property.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:26:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I have never set out to hunt them but I shoot them when I see them, they are not bad eating.  Ground birds are good eating, we could take a hunt at my folks 88 acres of flat down in the bottom, I also need to take some time to kill off some coyote, I don't care what the enviro wacko's say the coyote's are taken over.  I saw another grouse corpse a couple weeks ago.  BTW there are grouse on the property, and I have seen a few quail.  Turkeys out the whazoo, you can just walk down the middle of the field and scare them up.  Its like shooting giant pheasant, I don't have a bird dog so it would be good to have one along. The land is in Bloomington ,north side, you just can't hunt there unless I'm with you, my Dad's rules.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:32:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Jim we could car pool to bloomington, and meet Zoub at Denny's.  When does the season start, I would like to take my daughter along, I think it would be good for her to go hunting.  I don't think I would give her ammo though, she needs more work with muzzle and trigger discipline.  I don't know anything about setting up a feild so any pointers would be great, my dad would like to see the land being used for something other then what the POT growers are using it for.  BTW we have POT growers, growing crap from time to time on my dad's land, so it is open season on them year round.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:20:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
BTW we have POT growers, growing crap from time to time on my dad's land, so it is open season on them year round.

Coincidentally, I have a shotgun perfect for that task!

I'd have to borrow somebody's dove gun, though.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:20:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I have 4 shotguns I consider to be good dove guns.  That does not include my saiga!  So it won't be tough to get people set up.

As far as setting up the field goes, the best fields are of course set up in spring.  They are groomed and planted based on the doves.  But anything is better than nothing.  Dove Season opens 9/1.  Quail is in November.  NO DOGS FOR TURKEY IN INDIANA.  That is a no-no.

The basics are to set up along the area they are flying through.  It is understood where shots will be taken, safety comes first.  No low shots or shots at low flyers etc....We can cover the basics.

You basically sit on a bucket or folding seat, or stand in a good spot.  Hold still, movement gives you away.  Morning hours are best.  What we do just depends on the location.

Well, lets make it happen.  That is the reason for this post.  I live in Indy, I am working my ass off, but I always take off on 9/1 even if I don't hunt.  It may be better to hook up over labor day weekend.  We can meet ahead of time if you want to.  My truck will carry more than just myself and the dog.  I am happy to be the "guide" and try to make sure we have fun and a safe hunt.  Kids are fine with me.  Dogs make it fun for them!

She had just got a whiff of a Grouse early morning along the Ohio river

Light the grill!  Give the dog some extra kibble..............
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:44:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Well, lets make it happen.  That is the reason for this post.  I live in Indy, I am working my ass off, but I always take off on 9/1 even if I don't hunt.  It may be better to hook up over labor day weekend.  

Labor Day sounds good to me!  I'll be off from *both* my jobs on the actual holiday (Monday). Not sure about the weekend, though. I'll probably be working at the shop.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:34:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Rynich,
Let's do some coyote hunting this fall.  I think I have my AR upper sold, so I'm going to be out of a coyote rifle for several weeks, but after that, let's hit your dad's place.   I'm all torn up on whether to build a new AR upper for yotes or buy a lightweight BAR in 243.  A decision will be made soon though.
And I'm in for a dove hunt there too!  What choke do you guys usually use? Shot size?
Jim
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:05:52 AM EDT
[#11]
I am flexible on the day or days we may want to hook up.

For Dove, I like to use 7.5 shot size in 12 or 20 gauge.  A 1 ounce load is plenty.  I use a modified choke a lot but I will switch based on the situation or shots I am getting.  This is where an over under or side by side is nice.

I have not looked this year, but in past years Galyans had a box of 150 lose shells from Federal in 7.5 or 8.  It was an all around game load, it is an excellent cheap load.  A cut above the cheapest stuff you always see this time of year.

Dove season drives a major percentage of shotgun ammo sales nationwide.  A good example of a cheap load is the 100 round bricks you will see at Walmart.  Usually Winchester or Federal, 12 or 20 gauge.  Not always reliable in a semi-auto, I prefer the Federal bricks.  But if you are using a pump or break action any damn load works.

Buy your ammo this week so you get what you want.  Ammo will dry up as 9/1 approaches.  You end buying what they have versus what you may want.  I am going to look around this weekend, but
I already have enough set aside.

No need for a barrel over 28" long.  Any gun you can swing smooth but also point quick is ideal.  These birds fly fast and maneuver.  The idea is to set up in an area they are flying through or coming to, like a sunflower field.

Typically dress in some kind of camo or earth tone clothes, but remember it can be hot, so shorts are fine too.

The gun can not hold more then 3 shells, so a pump or auto requires a mag plug to be placed in it.  1 in the chamber, 2 in the mag tube, max.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:22:21 AM EDT
[#12]
I use an 1187 and it eats the 100 packs of Federal and Winchester from WalMart just fine.  Seems like one of those is 7.5 and one is 8.  These will work?  I always thought of them as skeet/trap loads, didn't know if they had enough power for critters.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:03:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Those loads will work fine.  I have used them as well.  Doves are not tough to knock down, they are just fast and fiesty!  If you put the pattern on them they will fold.  The issue is usually realizing you are not leading them enough.

It never hurts to have some shells with some more velocity in case shots get long, but I do better by being patient and waiting for good shots.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:04:49 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Those loads will work fine.  I have used them as well.  Doves are not tough to knock down, they are just fast and fiesty!  If you put the pattern on them they will fold.  The issue is usually realizing you are not leading them enough.

It never hurts to have some shells with some more velocity in case shots get long, but I do better by being patient and waiting for good shots.

+1
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:46:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Labor day weekend is fine with me I would like to use my Remington model 48 sportsman, but I don't know if it will chamber the light loads I will find out this saturday.  I'm going to take my kids down to field this saturday.  My family is haveing a send off for my sister that is getting deployed.
I also have an old sears pump 12 guage, if anyone needs to use one.  I want to get a 20 guage overunder for my kids.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:32:03 AM EDT
[#16]
You can use heavier loads on doves, just stick to 7.5 or 8.0.

At Walmart last night, I saw 100 round bricks of the Federal game shock loads I mentioned above.  These laods are 1 1/8oz of lead and a little more powder.  I like them as a good general  load that will also work on doves.

I have a nice 20 gauge Beretta semi that is nice for older kids.  Soft shooter.  I can bring it for the kids.  I have a light weight double barrel 20 as well but it is down right now.

While you are down there try to get a feel for where the doves are flying through in the AM and PM hours.  They will typically be flying to or from their roost sites and food.  Water can be an attractor too but not consistently.  One thing to consider is areas or strips you can mow beofre we hunt.  Fresh cut grass will help draw in birds of all kinds.

Food plots are even better!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:51:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I thought someone shot you?!?  You alright?  Recovering well?  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:06:20 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well I guess Mr. Cornbread is in a coma...or dead.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:33:41 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well I guess Mr. Cornbread is in a coma...or dead.

Nope, he is good!  We have both been busy finishing up a project.  I just talked to him this morning.

This break in the heat realy makes it feel like hunting season!  I hope it's this cool on Labor Day.  Good for the birds, dogs and old hunters.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:54:49 PM EDT
[#20]
I went down to the field this Saturday, the Culvert is washed out on the first streem so my dad can't get any machines into the large field to mow.  The weeds are high a lot more crap trees are growing out into the field.  It was pretty dry and hot.  My and the kids did scared up to grouse, they are pretty birds.  So, I was  glad to see some are still around.  I don't think you will want to ware shorts.  My kids are small so we didn't trek to far into the larger field, and with the heat there is not much cover.  I took my basset hound she loves getting into the brush.  We got down there anout 11am I didn't see any dove, and didn't really expect to that late in the morning.  The place is a bird haven usually.  
Lastly I didn't see any signs of pot growing activity, but the pot heads know to move and hid there crap in different spots each season.  I did find to milk cartons, but there was no dates to be found on them.  
So, that is the update, it could be hit or miss in my opinion, but if it is miss, at least we will have the chance to be out in the woods with guns.  Know better way to spend time.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:58:36 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
it could be hit or miss in my opinion, but if it is miss, at least we will have the chance to be out in the woods with guns.  Know better way to spend time.

I agree, you have to start somewhere.  No such thing as a bad day in the field.  Plus my dog will be able to show you what is out there, grouse, quail etc.....If nothing else it is advance planning for next years hunt.  If there are birds there, and it sounds like the doves may actually be roosting on the property, then it can be made to work!

From above it looks like the best day overall is Monday of labor day.  I will be in town the whole weekend so I am flexible and I don't mind going more than one day.  I am moving this weekend, once that is done it will be easy for me to plan a "recon" run.

I will say this, my dog will be pissed if no birds are dropped for her to retrieve.  She comes unglued at the sound of gun fire.  To her guns are a good thing.  In return we can let her run up the grouse and quail.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:24:41 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I will say this, my dog will be pissed if no birds are dropped for her to retrieve.  She comes unglued at the sound of gun fire.  To her guns are a good thing.  

Sounds like she'll fit right in with this crowd!

I'm on for Monday/Labor Day if someone can loan me a gun.  I'd take my Saiga, but I don't have any 2rd mags.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:14:40 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I will say this, my dog will be pissed if no birds are dropped for her to retrieve.  She comes unglued at the sound of gun fire.  To her guns are a good thing.  

Sounds like she'll fit right in with this crowd!

I'm on for Monday/Labor Day if someone can loan me a gun.  I'd take my Saiga, but I don't have any 2rd mags.

I can cover you, I assume you will need a 12 gauge to use yor current ammo?

We can make plugs to go inside the mags if you really want to use your Saiga.  I do the same thing with my AR.   I just made plugs to block it off to 10 rounds (for Ky Deer season).  Drop the mag plate, pull the plug and it is back to 20 rounds.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:37:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Monday sounds fine to me
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:46:38 PM EDT
[#25]
What time we want to link up.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:01:15 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I can cover you, I assume you will need a 12 gauge to use yor current ammo?

Yep, that'd be preferable.

We can make plugs to go inside the mags if you really want to use your Saiga.  

It was a passing thought, but whatever you're gonna loan me is probably a better tool for the task at hand.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:23:46 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

What are the logistics?  Did you say you usually meet at a Denny's near the farm?

In a perfect world we will be set up in our shooting positions by 7:30am.  We are doing a lot of this on the "fly" so to speak, so perfection is not an issue.  So working backwards from being situated at 7:30am, where do you want to meet and what time?

I am use to driving a lot farther to hunt in the morning hours so dog and I can be in Bloomington at 6am easy.

As for guns, I can bring along a mix of 12's and one 20 semi.  12's include a pump, double, O/U, semi
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:00:10 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What are the logistics?  Did you say you usually meet at a Denny's near the farm?

In a perfect world we will be set up in our shooting positions by 7:30am.  

I'm viewing this trip as a learning experience more than anything else. And I've just learned that dove hunters get up WAY too f-ing early!    I'm down with whatever plan y'all come up with. I'll need directions from Indy to the rally point.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:43:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Hey, it is a lot cooler in the morning!  Afternoon/early evening shooting can be good also, but if it is too hot the fun fades quickly.  I am moving this weekend, but by mid week next week I will post info on what gear I will be carrying and what license you need to buy etc......

All the info is online at the DNR site, one thing you also need to do is get your HIP number.  Basically you register as a hunter of migratory birds.  It costs nothing but it is required, doves are a migratory game bird, just like ducks.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:52:11 AM EDT
[#30]
We could meet at the north McDonalds, off of North Walnut, it is easier to get in and out of.
Since, I will be hunting on my own land what do I need, as far as Licenseing on the Dovies.  I haven't looked at the DNR site yet.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:39:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Indiana DNR online licensing: www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/licenses/index.html

The way I read it, only a Hunting license  ($14.95) is needed for doves. Note that there are extra fees associated with purchasing licenses on-line, but the total should still be under $20.

Once you have your license, register with HIP and note the registration number on said license.

HIP Registration page: www.wetland.net/HIP/State_WelcomePage?AppId=0682

Zoub, a recommended gear list for us newbies would be much appreciated!

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:29:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Haven't been dove hunting before, but I've done pheasants and quail.  It's nice to have something to keep shells within reach for easy reloads.  A bit of blaze orange wouldn't hurt so we can see each other easier.  Something to put birds in is good.  If we're going to clean birds at the property, then a pocketknife and maybe some latex gloves to help keep your hands clean.  Some ziplocs if you're taking the birds home.
I'm gonna wear my turkey vest which has big deep pockets on the front and a big game pocket in the back.  I'm guessing that with dove hunting, you pretty much stand in one place and shoot, so portability is not quite so important.  You might throw all your stuff in a 5 gallon bucket and use that to put birds in too.

ETA: I'm bringing ear plugs too, my baffle ones if I can find them.

How'd I do Zoub?

Quoted:
a recommended gear list for us newbies would be much appreciated!

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:02:34 PM EDT
[#33]
You guys are doing good!

No orange, even your face will be enough "color" to give you away.  Goes like this.  You set up in a spot.  We may spread out in a line along a field edge.  You can sit in some tall weeds/corn etc, or even sit back inside the forest edge.  Or stand in the shadows.  Just depends on the field.  I tend to dress in OD and light brown colors.  Camo is not required but it does not hurt either.

The focus is on setting up safe shooting.  We will have a few rules on what shots we do and don't take.

I have a camo folding stool and a small box that holds 100 rounds and my choke tubes.  I also have a bucket I use sometimes.  Those buckets with padded swivel seats are the way to go.  I may finally buy one, they are cheap.  

I like to set up my box of shells on the ground next to me for easy reloads.  Birds are tosed in the bucket or stool.  I usually have some water too.  The more comfortable you are, the less you move around.  I find I tend to stand more than I sit if the location allows for it.

We will use the dog to retrieve the birds.  I will set up in the middle of the group so the dog is close to all shooters.  If we get lost birds in the woods she and I will go look for them while others continue to hunt.  The better you mark your downed birds the better it will go!  I won't shoot much so I can watch your birds too.

Cleaning is EASY.  Bring tin snips to cut off the wings and heads.  You just peel the skin off the breast with your thumbs, pop the breast from the bird.  Quick as hell.  Guts and parts go in a trash bag in a bucket, meat in a bag & cooler.  Water and rag for clean up.

Once the birds tapper off in the AM, we can go clean the birds.  Tell lies on all our shots, then maybe go walk the dog around and see if we can locate the quail or grouse for later in the fall.

Then down the road, we can do this!   Shoot some clays, hunt some birds tell more lies.  One of my favorite places.

lostrivergamefarm.com/

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:46:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Ok, the grass is high some above 5 ft, There is a hill that if you are on top you can scan tha field for the most part, down on both ends are very marshy like areas that in recent yrs I have seen birds I haave never seen there before.  
Going down to the bottom is no problem but it is a hump going up and out, Standing might be the  the best .  If you are carring buckets and seats you might wish you had not have at the end, I usually carry my ruck because you can get a lot in it.  I have some old tan canvas hunting jackets and vests, they might be a little small.  They do have the big pocket in the back, these are like LLbean type.  They have recently treed the land to the west of ours, You could drive a truck down to the bottom, but if it is mushy and not 4 wheel drive you may not get it out.  It is steep going down, and the trails are old logging trails.  Lots of draws and fingers on your way down.  I hope this helps, I guess what I'm trying to say is travel light travel right.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:38:17 AM EDT
[#35]
I have a 4wd truck, so if the trail is passable we can all load up in it to drive out to the field.

The hill may be good, the dog can run down for the birds.  I will have water for her in my pack.  Should be fun!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:16:20 AM EDT
[#36]
You can get a full size down there but I won't be responsible for broken off mirrors and scratches in the paint.  If the truck you have is a stump jumper then nothing to worry about, but if you like it scratch free, you may not want to drive it down there.  Just a lilttle heads up, its not that bad but it might scratch your paint.
When I had my Nissan truck it is no problem getting around down there, plus when we are done, we might find away accros the first stream to drive into the larger field, I think I told you about the culvert being washed out.
I would like to set the field up for bird hunting in the future, now with the Fall turkey season that should be great.  You can almost hunt Turkeys like you would Pheasant you can just walk down through the field and with a good dog you can spook them up.  They just fly right past you, its more fun hunting Turkey like that then sitting around calling them in.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:44:12 PM EDT
[#37]
One guy on the hood with a Saiga 12 could keep all the branches clear of the truck.

If we could just find a guy with a Saiga crazy enough to do that...................
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:41:55 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
If we could just find a guy with a Saiga crazy enough to do that...................

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:42:41 AM EDT
[#39]
I've been reluctant to chime in, as I've never been dove hunting. I've hunted about everything native to this state, but the only bird hunting I've ever done was for wild turkey. I'd be embarrassed to shoot at birds on the wing in front of all you guys, due to the infinitesimal chance of me actually hitting one.

As far as being prepared to hunt, I have a camo Remington 870 (with rifle sights, no bead) that currently is super-full choke, which can be rectified pretty easily. I also have camo clothing. The biggest plus is that I have a lifetime hunting license, so other than getting my HIP number, I'm good to go there.

The sad thing is that I have permission to hunt a great property that happens to be swarming with doves, but other guys dove hunt it each year, so I wouldn't want to screw them up. You can drive by there in the mornings and see dozens of doves lined up on the power lines.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:23:29 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I'd be embarrassed to shoot at birds on the wing in front of all you guys, due to the infinitesimal chance of me actually hitting one.

That didn't stop me from signing up for this thing!  I'm doing it more as a shooting challenge and an excuse to socialize with fellow ARFcom'ers, rather than a serious attempt to put meat on the table. I don't think the doves have much to worry about from me...

The sad thing is that I have permission to hunt a great property that happens to be swarming with doves, but other guys dove hunt it each year, so I wouldn't want to screw them up.

Dude. If you've got permission to hunt it, HUNT IT!  "Kill all you want; they'll make more".

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:40:14 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Dude. If you've got permission to hunt it, HUNT IT!  "Kill all you want; they'll make more".

I got permission to deer hunt on it about 10 years ago, but haven't even stepped foot on the property for a couple of years now. I'm seriously thinking about hitting it again this deer season, giving the bucks on the farm behind my home a chance to grow another year.

A guy from church is a big dove hunter, and this other property is his main spot. I've also seen groups of hunters walking at the back of the field when I've driven by there some mornings during dove season. Since I'm not a hardcore dove hunter, I'd rather not mess it up for those who are. I know what it's like to be deer hunting and have people come stomping through and ruin it.

Case in point: I found a nice shed antler from a 2 1/2 year old 10-point buck in a clover field on the main farm I hunt in March 2002. I knew that the next season he'd be a great 3 1/2 year old, which is the age group I prefer to target if possible. I didn't see him in 2002 or 2003. On the opening day of firearms season 2004, I had a buddy hunt with me in order to videotape my hunt. He got cold and left early, leaving me in the tree alone. Well, lo and behold, if he didn't jump this particular buck out of a brushy fencerow right on that cloverfield where I originally found the shed. It was bedded with a doe and they both ran up the field on the other side of the valley in plain view a few hundred yards from me.

Fast forward to 2004 (last season). I jumped this same buck up 3 different times in bow season, but couldn't get the shot. Various locals saw him in my neighbor's yard eating apples off the tree after nightfall as they drove by. Anyway, a guy at work that I don't get along with heard about it and went and got permission to hunt this property as well just to piss me off. He told my coworkers that he was going to get my big buck that I'd been after for 3 seasons and rub it in my face.

Firearms season came and I hunted harder than ever. I wasn't about to let this guy kill it and rub it in. I hunted on different sides of the wooded section that I'd jumped him up in a month earlier, hunting where I'd never really spent much time hunting before. It was a great feeling when I finally got him...

Skull and antlers above, shed antler below

Granted, shooting doves isn't the same as shooting someone's deer, but I'd rather not encroach.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:33:49 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I'd be embarrassed to shoot at birds on the wing in front of all you guys, due to the infinitesimal chance of me actually hitting one.

Pussy.  (I am trying reverse psychology here, hoping you will now come to the hunt)

he sad thing is that I have permission to hunt a great property that happens to be swarming with doves, but other guys dove hunt it each year, so I wouldn't want to screw them up. You can drive by there in the mornings and see dozens of doves lined up on the power lines.

Dove hunting is VERY social.  Tell him you have a friend with a dog.  I will come and we will do retrieves for the group.  I don't have to shoot and you won't hit anything so in essence we will be doing their retrieves for them!

Check you guys later, I have to get back to my move.  Came to the office for a meeting. I want to finish this move while the temps are cool.  Saturday was a bitch!

PS it is hard to screw up a dove hunt.  The doves always win!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:53:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Zoub,
I sent you some coordinates and the address, to look up the overlay of the property.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:18:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Bump for the birdies!  

There were about a dozen of the little buggers scratching around under the bird feeder this morning, as if to mock me.     I've been making notes of their habits and flight patterns as they come and go; they sure can haul ass when they want to!  I'm sure the ones "in the wild" will be even more cagey; I'm looking forward to the challenge!

I just got my hunting permit and HIP number online and am ready to roll.  So who all is "officially" going?  Look forward to seeing everybody!

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:44:27 AM EDT
[#45]
You guys want to meet at 5:30am at the North McDonalds in Bloomington off of North Walnut.  Its five miles to my parents from there.  That way I can show you where to park in the upper field.  

Lastly, how many are going to be there.  I would just like to let my Dad know ahead of time so he doesn't get all bent out of shape.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:53:15 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm planning on it.
5:30, ouch.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:25:32 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
You guys want to meet at 5:30am at the North McDonalds in Bloomington off of North Walnut.  Its five miles to my parents from there.  That way I can show you where to park in the upper field.  

Lastly, how many are going to be there.  I would just like to let my Dad know ahead of time so he doesn't get all bent out of shape.

Me and 1 dog!  5:30 sounds good.

Gotta run!  I will have more time in a day or two and we can review.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:40:51 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
You guys want to meet at 5:30am at the North McDonalds in Bloomington off of North Walnut?

I'm trying to figure out which McDonald's you are referring to, as there are a couple on Walnut. Is it the one near the Harley Davidson shop, H.H. Gregg, etc., or the one just north of the Marsh grocery store?

I may go, even if it's just to watch. I've got one of the new Remington 870's with the heavy thumbhole stock, so I haven't decided if I want to lug it around. I'd also have to buy a modified choke, as all I have is a super full. I get just as much enjoyment out of hanging out with other like-minded people.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:57:27 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
5:30, ouch.  

No shiz! Oh well. Price to pay if you wanna play, I suppose! See you there, though I probably won't be fully conscious. Thank heaven Micky D's has coffee.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:11:01 PM EDT
[#50]
The one near the HD shop, the one near the texas Roadhouse is the West side one.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top