Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2005 7:42:55 AM EDT
I'm planning on getting a 8-12 rifle safe.  Budget is $700 max (well, I may be able to push it some more).  The only place I can put it is in the basement where humidity is pretty high, so I'll need a hermetic one.  Any suggestions on such animal in or around Indy?
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 10:12:53 AM EDT
[#1]
If the safe is in a basement you will still need to handle humidity.  Get yourself a Golden Rod.  Small heater rod made for safes that keeps moisture low.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:12:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I know it may be out of your price range, but Rural King has some nice Remington safes for under $800 a few weeks back. Dunham's also stocks Stack-On brand safes and they usually have reall good prices for those.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 7:32:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Sam's Club Winchester Safes.  Currently they are selling it for $599 with an electronic keypad lock.  I believe the previous model was made by Granite Security, this one probably is too.
Just checked here:  http://www.winchestersafes.com/
It's still made by Granite.  Details on that webpage.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 7:40:23 AM EDT
[#4]
The Golden Rod seems to be the fix for my problem.  The Winchester one from Sam's Club has a dehumidifier hole and seems to be a steal.  It's a little bigger than needed (24 rifles), but I'm sure that can be fixed over the next couple of years. Thanks all!
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 11:27:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Do any of the local Sam's stock this safe or does it have to be ordered?

I don't remember seeing one last time I was there.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 5:26:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Bloomington Sam's Club has them.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:06:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Buy a bigger safe than you think you are going to need.  This can't be stressed enough.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:26:29 PM EDT
[#8]
If it's a really big safe and you don't have the manpower and equipment to move it (safely), sometimes it's worth it to buy from a dealer who does delivery and installation.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:45:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Try Johnson Safe from Zionsville. Jeff is great to work with and he delivers.  1-800-969-7993.
Tell him Bob W. sent you.
LATER Bob
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:37:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Just to provide a frame of reference, a local moving company would transport the safe from Sam's to my house and put it in place for ~$300.  If you could get a dealer to do it, then paying a bit more for the safe could be worth it.

Quoted:
If it's a really big safe and you don't have the manpower and equipment to move it (safely), sometimes it's worth it to buy from a dealer who does delivery and installation.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:41:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Try Johnson Safe from Zionsville. Jeff is great to work with and he delivers.  1-800-969-7993.
Tell him Bob W. sent you.
LATER Bob

I bought a Johnson Safe recently.  It is the smallest model that he makes.  I'm pretty happy with it.  He delivered it and bolted it to the floor for an additional hundred dollars.  I believe that he gives a generous trade in on the safes that he sells if the original buyer wants to upgrade to one of his larger models.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top