Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2005 11:58:51 AM EDT
I'm in the Pat Rogers carbine class 27-29JULY05 at Boone Co.

Then in August, I'm back at Boone Co. 12-14AUG for carbine, 26-28 for handgun II, and 30AUG-01SEP for "high intensity tactics" (HITT), all with the esteemed Louis Awerbuck.

Anyone else?

Link Posted: 6/10/2005 12:50:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Sadly, none.

I'd love to attend everything the Boone County Sheriff's Department hosts, but they're all 3-day courses. Weekends are okay, but I cannot miss a day's work.
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 3:25:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't have any class..  
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 4:05:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I've done the AR-15 Armorer class, the Karambit class, and the Gunsite carbine class at the Boone County Sheriff Department so far this year.  That's probably it for this summer.
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 7:26:20 PM EDT
[#4]
rhino:
You've certainly got a full plate!  Enjoy it.

I've taken DETC's AR Armorers Course @ BCSD and Carbine I/II @ Racine WI already this year, and will be helping to teach the FR&I Tactical Shotgun and Level II Handgun @ Atlanta CC this summer.  I'll probably wind up the year by taking the Tactical Response Force-On-Force class here in Indy in November.

I'll probably be lucky to do one class a year after the baby's born, so I'm trying to get in as much as I can before then!

Link Posted: 6/10/2005 8:57:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
rhino:
You've certainly got a full plate!  Enjoy it.

I have an unusual situation this summer.  I normally budget for some big pistol and 3-gun matches, but this year I am working (as well as shooting) at most of them, so I won't have to pay match fees or for my room.  That left a little extra somethin' somethin' for more classes!

The Louis handgun II and carbine are repeats (3rd time for carbine, in fact).

The new one will be Pat Rogers.  I've heard almost universal glowing reports about his classes.  My goal is to make it through without getting slapped for being an insolent civilian.  I did not get very good reactions to some of my messages on another forum.

Quoted:

I've taken DETC's AR Armorers Course @ BCSD and Carbine I/II @ Racine WI already this year, and will be helping to teach the FR&I Tactical Shotgun and Level II Handgun @ Atlanta CC this summer.  I'll probably wind up the year by taking the Tactical Response Force-On-Force class here in Indy in November.

You also have to start shooting some matches with us!

When and where is the TR force on force class?

Link Posted: 6/10/2005 8:58:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I don't have any class..  

Yeah, but you'd really like completing one of them!
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 9:00:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Sadly, none.

I'd love to attend everything the Boone County Sheriff's Department hosts, but they're all 3-day courses. Weekends are okay, but I cannot miss a day's work.

Have you done the two day Intro to Defensive Pistol that Capt. Ken teaches?  It was my first experience with him and the whole Boone Co. Sheriff's Dept. experience.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 4:23:51 AM EDT
[#8]
ICND
Definity GS SI
Intuity Audix
Vectors and ADC programming
Nortel CS1000

Work has me so busy at my new job I barely have time to shoot at all let alone get proficient.  However, I think my director and possibly my CIO are both shooters so...

Link Posted: 6/11/2005 5:21:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The new one will be Pat Rogers.  I've heard almost universal glowing reports about his classes.  My goal is to make it through without getting slapped for being an insolent civilian.  

Oh, you can try all you like, but he'll find something to slap you for.  Have you seen my review of last year's class?
mywebpages.comcast.net/shooter2_indy/carbine04.html

You also have to start shooting some matches with us!

August is the only month this year I don't already have something going on. Might happen!

When and where is the TR force on force class?

November 12-13, in an office or industrial park somewhere in downtown Indy.
www.tacticalresponse.com/courses/forceonforce.php

Link Posted: 6/11/2005 5:41:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I might take an art class.

May get a freebie defensive driving course at Blackwater Lodge later in the year.  Guns inlcuded!
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 7:16:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Oh, you can try all you like, but he'll find something to slap you for.  Have you seen my review of last year's class?
mywebpages.comcast.net/shooter2_indy/carbine04.html

Well, some of things I've said online (elsewhere) have not been received well, so I intend to just keep my mouth shut unless I have a very simple question that requires a yes or no answer.

For those who don't know me, keeping my mouth shut will be an effort akin to all of Hercules' Labors combined.  My aversion to being beaten is a motivatiing factor, however.
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 12:51:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I cant get a weekend off, let alone that many.  Rhino you got it made.  Maybe next year.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 2:28:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, I do have plenty of "free time."  On the other hand, I never "get any," so it's a tradeoff.  

Here's a small dilemma ... and I'm going to have divulge a dark secret I've been harboring.

I've been shooting a 9mm 1911 primarily in matches this year, mostly for economy.  It's awesome to get 100 rounds at Wal*Mart for $11.34 anywhere in the country.

Now, for the same economical motivation, I am considering shooting it in my classes this summer.  The problem is, when I get a certificate from Louis A., it will not only reveal my secret dalliance with a minor caliber, it will create a permanent record of it!

Should I swallow my ego and just do it?

Another factor is that I don't have a second gun in 9mm, so that means when I do stuff with my "backup," I'll be using .45 ACP.  I don't think it will be a real problem, but it will just feel weird (I'm all about looking good first, and feeling good about myself a close second! ).

Oh, decisions!  Decisions!

I may have to clean the damn thing soon.  It's been a couple of thousand rounds since the last time I wiped the crud off the rails with a paper towel.  So much for 1911s not being reliable.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 6:07:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Well, some of things I've said online (elsewhere) have not been received well

Not received well by Pat? What, did you not capitalize "Marine" or something?  Do tell!

unless I have a very simple question that requires a yes yes, Pat! or no answer.

Fixed it for ya.

Link Posted: 6/13/2005 6:17:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 1:45:27 PM EDT
[#16]
After seeing that thread this spring about the hot chicky snacks I've decided I'd like to "do" the Purdue freshman class (the female half).  

Huh?  Not that kind of "doing"?  Oh.  Nevermind...

I took the 2-day basic handgun class with Ken last year, but won't be taking any this year.  With the upcoming arrival of a money-sucker (baby) and some job insecurity issues it didn't seem like a good idea this year.  I'm hoping to take at least one next year though.  A more advanced handgun class, or a carbine class, or a shotgun class, or a hand-to-hand class.  I'll have 5 years at this job by next year so I should have another week of vacation time to play with and allow for taking the 3-day classes.
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 8:23:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
After seeing that thread this spring about the hot chicky snacks I've decided I'd like to "do" the Purdue freshman class (the female half).  

If that were an option, I'd divert all of my time and funds to the far more ... rewarding ... endeavor.

Link Posted: 6/16/2005 3:11:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Can some one give me a link to the classes at Boone County.
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 5:25:22 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Can some one give me a link to the classes at Boone County.

Send an Email to Capt. Ken Campbell @ [email protected] and ask to be put on the training Email list.

Link Posted: 6/16/2005 5:38:48 AM EDT
[#20]
CLS, just got finished with CBRN, on a waiting list for Sniper school. Supposed to goto a GFT class too.
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 9:57:47 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
CLS, just got finished with CBRN, on a waiting list for Sniper school. Supposed to goto a GFT class too.

Okay ... I  understand sniper school, but I have no idea what the other groups of letters mean.

Which sniper school, by the way?

Link Posted: 6/20/2005 5:44:36 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have no idea what the other groups of letters mean.

I wonder if he means this:

www.cbrntraining.com/default.asp
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 11:21:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah, I'm supposed to help out the carwashers run the NBC room while in garrison and CLS is Combat Lifesaver Course.
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 11:34:12 AM EDT
[#24]
I need a list of 2006 classes... won't be back from Iraq until December
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 12:34:41 PM EDT
[#25]
The 2006 schedule for Boone Co. probably won't be available until the end of this year or early in 2006.  At least that's how it's been the last few years.

Stay safe!
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 6:46:07 AM EDT
[#26]
E-mail Ken and ask him to put you on his e-mail list for training.  You'll probably start getting notices for 2006 about the time you get back.
Link Posted: 6/30/2005 12:16:24 PM EDT
[#27]
I've got a busy summer planned.  Pat Rogers Carbine in July, then Remington 870/700 Armorer course in VA in August...then NRA Patrol Rifle Instructor Course later in August.  Fun fun.

Hey shooter521, I'm doing the F-on-F in November, so maybe I'll see you there.
Link Posted: 6/30/2005 12:31:05 PM EDT
[#28]
I really wanted to do the F-on-F class. Pity it's happening right before I get home.
Link Posted: 6/30/2005 7:17:53 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I've got a busy summer planned.  Pat Rogers Carbine in July. . .

Which one?  I'm in the last week of July.

Link Posted: 7/1/2005 2:51:55 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
E-mail Ken and ask him to put you on his e-mail list for training.  You'll probably start getting notices for 2006 about the time you get back.

linky?
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 5:42:17 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

linky?

Page 1, dude.

Link Posted: 7/1/2005 6:47:50 PM EDT
[#32]
I learned recently that the Pat Rogers carbine class needs 1400 rounds!

That's a lot of shooting for three days!

And I am running dangerously low of .223 ... I don't want to dip into my strategic reserves of 5.56 ... err ... that is, I can't because I don't have any of that ...
Link Posted: 7/2/2005 1:08:55 AM EDT
[#33]

Better sign up for this one quick.  She's filling up fast-

Summer 2005 Registration Information
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 4:44:29 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm attending Boone Co. ITOG & Carbine instructed by Pat Rogers July 20-25.
I'm REALLY looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 5:54:26 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I'm attending Boone Co. ITOG & Carbine instructed by Pat Rogers July 20-25.

I hope to do ITOG next year. Be sure to give us a review!

rhino:
I think the 1400 rounds is a conservative recommendation.  IIRC, when I took the class last year, I only shot about 800. Some classes go faster and cover more ground than others, though.

Link Posted: 7/13/2005 11:16:03 AM EDT
[#36]

Rhino: Which one? I'm in the last week of July.

Sorry, I didn't see your post until just now.  I'll be in the same class as you.
See you there!
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 1:53:46 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Sorry, I didn't see your post until just now.  I'll be in the same class as you.
See you there!

Cool!  We can plot against these other guys behind their backs for three days!  
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 9:07:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Well, my NRA Patrol Rifle Instructor course in KY got cancelled, so now I have to go to Blackwater Carbine Instructor course.  Life is rough sometimes.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 7:10:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Oh, you poor, suffering thing.

A buddy of mine just deployed to Iraq with Blackhawkwater and got to do some training there before he left.  I think he was positively disposed toward the experience!

One week until Boone Co.!
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 9:50:05 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
A buddy of mine just deployed to Iraq with Blackhawk and got to do some training there before he left.  

I ass-u-me you mean BlackWATER...
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 5:37:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Indeed I did, Mark.  Thank you for the correction!  That's a mistake that's too easy to make and it makes a huge difference!

As an aside, Blackwater contractors get issued several pieces of Blackhawk gear, and apparently none of the Blackwater gear (made by Uncle Mike's).  That's an interesting bit of info.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:50:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Since I'm breathing and I think my heart is pumping, I apparently survived Pat Rogers' carbine operator course (27-29JULY05).  It was a good time, we all learned quite a bit, and had some fun along the way.

I got to meet waveman1978, but I don't think we had any other ar15.commies there.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:21:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Hey, Brother Rhino, how are you?
I took a bunch of pics of the firing line, etc, email me if you want some.  [email protected] .
Later!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:22:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Hey, Waveman!

I'm tired!  I wanted to rest yesterday, but I had a 3-Gun match down at Owensboro, KY, which was a 4.5 hour drive each way.  I did some of the worst shooting of my life, but I still had a lot of fun.  

Today I was a vegetable.

Good meeting you at the class!  I'm sorry we were on different relays and didn't have much of a chance to visit, but I am sure our paths will cross again.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:18:32 PM EDT
[#45]
I finished carbine/handgun with Louis Awerbuck this weekend.  As usual, it was an awesome class.  Louis is da Man!

If I do a report of the class, I'll either post it here or a pointer to it.

I don't think there were any AR15.commies in the class, though!

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:22:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Okay .... I just did a quick draft of a report on the YFA carbine/handgun class and posted it to my blog.  You can read it at:

RhinoRhetoric
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:19:37 AM EDT
[#47]
And for those of you who don't want to visit my blog, but still want to read the report:

Life with Louis
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:56:12 PM EDT
[#48]
I just posted my comments on Handgun Level II.

Life with Louis
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:51:35 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Okay .... I just did a quick draft of a report on the YFA carbine/handgun class and posted it to my blog.  You can read it at:

RhinoRhetoric

Pretty cool.  Thanks for sharing your experience.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:47:12 AM EDT
[#50]
You're welcome.  

I still need to do a review of the HITT class ...

I'm all done for the summer.  It's going to be a long, long time until next year!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top