Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/14/2005 6:51:52 AM EDT
I have an opportunity to present to local arfcommers for fun, fellowship, firearms, and fieldwork.  

Some Saturday after the end of wild turkey season, I want to install the target boards for my shooting range.  This work involves manually digging post holes for treated 6 x 6 x 8' timbers and nailing other lumber to them.  With help, it shouldn't take too long.  After we erect the structure, everyone is invited try out the new range with their favorite firearm(s).

The property is located about 6 miles southeast of Loogootee.  Hindostan Falls, a popular fishing site on the East Branch of the White River, is nearby.

Please let me know if you are interested.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/14/2005 10:16:03 AM EDT
[#1]
When is the end of wild turkey season?
Link Posted: 4/14/2005 11:50:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I will definately come again!

Rose Mech
Link Posted: 4/14/2005 11:59:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Tag for date.
Link Posted: 4/14/2005 1:05:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
When is the end of wild turkey season?

May 15th.
Link Posted: 4/14/2005 1:14:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Count me in as well. I'd be there, even if no shooting was involved.
Link Posted: 4/14/2005 1:21:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like RoseMech and M4Madness are in.  Krazny13 a possibility.  We get one more and it's doable!

How does Saturday, May 21st sound?
Link Posted: 4/14/2005 3:13:30 PM EDT
[#7]
D'oh.
I won't be able to make it that weekend.  I return to Wisconsin the 10th of May.  
Lousy school kicking me out of student housing for the summer. . . .  
Link Posted: 4/14/2005 6:16:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I can dig post holes,  I'll help just to meet some of ya,  but tryin' the target stands out will be great fun.
Link Posted: 4/14/2005 6:19:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
D'oh.
I won't be able to make it that weekend.  I return to Wisconsin the 10th of May.  
Lousy school kicking me out of student housing for the summer. . . .  

Hopefully you have a job waiting for you in Wisconsin?
Link Posted: 4/14/2005 6:43:53 PM EDT
[#10]
No luck so far.
Other than a min wage factory job.  But the gas needed to get to and from would negate any earnings.
Link Posted: 4/14/2005 8:09:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Do you think Mechaniac would want to supervise?  
Link Posted: 4/14/2005 9:03:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry guys... between Sully's carbine class up in cheesehead-land (hey Krazny!) and working at the shop, May is pretty much out for me.    

Paul - did you get the power company to come out and grade the access road?

Link Posted: 4/15/2005 3:42:51 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Paul - did you get the power company to come out and grade the access road?

Not yet.  Waiting until May when 'April showers' are done.  No sense grading the road until it dries out.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2005 3:46:32 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I can dig post holes,  I'll help just to meet some of ya,  but tryin' the target stands out will be great fun.

Thanks for the offer to help.  We look forward to meeting you!
Link Posted: 4/15/2005 6:29:09 AM EDT
[#15]
I have to check with the household 6, but for now I'm in, Commish have you tried looking for work with my company EG&G a subsidary of URS or SAIC.  Just do a search on the web they are tring to fill 20 positions right now.  Most of the work is here at Crane.  Make sure you list me as a referal I can PM you my name.  It won't work for SAIC I don't work for them.
Link Posted: 4/15/2005 12:49:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you think Mechaniac would want to supervise?  

I'm sure that he would, but his new job has him working until 3:00 PM every Saturday.
Link Posted: 4/15/2005 8:20:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Would be more than willing to help here as well, When it gets closer I will know for sure if  MrsG and I can make it but Im going to try on planning on it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2005 8:38:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Maybe
Link Posted: 4/16/2005 6:43:32 AM EDT
[#19]
I will possibly try to make it, maybe Gungho_1989 & I can hook up and ride down together.
Link Posted: 4/16/2005 3:14:31 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I will possibly try to make it, maybe Gungho_1989 & I can hook up and ride down together.

Sounds like a plan CAR-15, let me know.
Link Posted: 4/16/2005 3:46:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Looks like we will have a nice crew for the project.  Thanks to all who have offered their support!

I'm hoping the post hole digging will go okay.  There are a lot of rocks in the area but we should be below the outcrop.  <crossing fingers>  Otherwise, we could employ some tannerite!  

I have one good post hole digger and if someone can bring another that will make the job go that much faster.  An auger on a tractor would be very cool, but I don't have the funds available now.

The plan is to erect two separate target stands:  one for rifle/shotgun (slug) and the other for handgun.  I am thinking 50 ft of distance from the firing line to the target stand for the handgun range.

I am not sure how long to make the rifle/slug distance.  Most of the use will probably be for .22LR, 12 ga slugs, and .223/7.62x39/7.62x54R.  Squeezing out a full 100 yards might be tough.  I don't like the idea of shooting slugs that far because I've never taken a 100 yd. slug shot while hunting.  Any ideas on a good rifle distance?

Eventually when my income resumes I am planning to purchase acreage to the north of my range.  Then I can easily and safely do a 200 yd. rifle range.
Link Posted: 4/16/2005 5:55:47 PM EDT
[#22]
I will keep tabs on this.  I am a single Dad and have my daughter more than 50% of the time.  I think there is a girl scout campout that weekend.  So I might be heading in that direction anyway.

If no scouts, even my 10 year old daughter would want to come and help out.  We can camp at Martin State Forest.
Link Posted: 4/16/2005 6:24:29 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I will keep tabs on this.  I am a single Dad and have my daughter more than 50% of the time.  I think there is a girl scout campout that weekend.  So I might be heading in that direction anyway.

If no scouts, even my 10 year old daughter would want to come and help out.  We can camp at Martin State Forest.

Come on over!  You know the way.
Link Posted: 4/17/2005 4:55:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Post hole digger shouldn't be needed,  I sell chainsaws,  string trimmers,  blowers and GAS POWERED AUGERS!  I really do need to be familiar with what I sell,  we'll call it a demo,  in fact,  maybe I should get paid for the day,  and drive a company truck....
Link Posted: 4/17/2005 7:23:16 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Post hole digger shouldn't be needed,  I sell chainsaws,  string trimmers,  blowers and GAS POWERED AUGERS!  I really do need to be familiar with what I sell,  we'll call it a demo,  in fact,  maybe I should get paid for the day,  and drive a company truck....

Leave it to the arfcommer to find "the better way..."
Link Posted: 4/18/2005 5:06:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Put me in the possibles category.  Some work stuff in Chicago sometime around then?
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 4:10:43 PM EDT
[#27]
You can count me in but I just recieved Federal jury duty notice at the begining of May, I just hope the trial is over quick.
Link Posted: 4/20/2005 12:41:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Count me in also. Been wanting to meet you guys anyway.
Any gongs at 300 or 600 yds? LOL
jerryboy
Link Posted: 4/20/2005 6:15:10 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Count me in also. Been wanting to meet you guys anyway.
Any gongs at 300 or 600 yds? LOL
jerryboy

Nothing at that distance.    I don't own enough land (yet) to do those distances safely.
Link Posted: 4/20/2005 9:12:56 PM EDT
[#30]
No prob.

I still wanna' go. Would you be in need of a couple nice gongs? Theres a junkyard with mountains of nice steel I could probably get. I had one that was hung on rebar and it lasted for years against .223/.308/7mm rem.mag.  I do alot of offhand and I need to hear the clank. I'm trying to figure out what steel and what thickness gives the best gong and won't get tore up too quickly. Let me know if your interrested in hanging gongs about your range. I'll get the stuff and stick it in my trunk.
  Can't wait to mee you all.

jerryboy
Link Posted: 4/21/2005 5:18:53 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
No prob.

I still wanna' go. Would you be in need of a couple nice gongs? Theres a junkyard with mountains of nice steel I could probably get. I had one that was hung on rebar and it lasted for years against .223/.308/7mm rem.mag.  I do alot of offhand and I need to hear the clank. I'm trying to figure out what steel and what thickness gives the best gong and won't get tore up too quickly. Let me know if your interrested in hanging gongs about your range. I'll get the stuff and stick it in my trunk.
  Can't wait to mee you all.

jerryboy

Wow!  That would be great!  Thanks for the offer!  

Funny you would mention the steel because I definitely want to have reactive targets to go with the standard paper.  A few years ago I bought a hanging plate steel target from a guy at Knob Creek.  I tore the crap out of it with rifle fire, despite the vendor's assurance that it would withstand rifle rounds.  After repeated visits to my plant's welding shop I restricted the use of the target to handgun rounds.  Now it seems to be holding up.

Not sure what the secret to a long lasting rifle gong is, other than hardness.  I think thickness of steel is important.
Link Posted: 4/21/2005 8:18:24 AM EDT
[#32]

Not sure what the secret to a long lasting rifle gong is, other than hardness. I think thickness of steel is important.

I'd say hardness, distance(velocity), and mounting.  According to MGM Targets if it can move to absorb some of the energy that will cut down on damage to the face.  I have one of their auto-poppers, which is 500 Brinnell, 3/8" thick, and spring loaded.  It has 3 small craters (about 1/4" to 3/8" across and 1/8" or less deep) on it from .223s at 25 & 50 yds, but .223s at 100yds don't even leave a mark and .357 Mags even at 8 yds just take the paint off.

If I were looking for a target in scrap metal I think I'd look for the hardest metal I could find, about 1/2" thick, mount it so it'll swing, and keep the size/weight down.  Also remember that if you cut it to shape/size with a torch that will affect the hardness around the cut edges.
Link Posted: 4/21/2005 1:05:22 PM EDT
[#33]

Here's a photo of the last steel plate we had at TheCommissioner's. It swung from two chains, but that didn't save it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2005 2:32:21 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm interested in coming, but I have a lot going on around that time.  I'm tagging this to see what day gets picked to see if I can make it.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2005 3:12:40 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Here's a photo of the last steel plate we had at TheCommissioner's. It swung from two chains, but that didn't save it.

Heh! We smoked its bitch ass.

At my "home" range, we have an 18" steel gong on chains set up on the 100-yd rifle range. It's 1.5" to 2" thick. Its face is very heavily cratered, but nothing's gotten through it yet.

Link Posted: 4/21/2005 7:20:33 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I'm interested in coming, but I have a lot going on around that time.  I'm tagging this to see what day gets picked to see if I can make it.  

Saturday, May 21
Link Posted: 5/1/2005 8:03:05 AM EDT
[#37]
What time of day on the 21st are you planning on starting? I can get off at noon and get there about 1:00 with a new & improved target! Plus I love to supervise
Link Posted: 5/2/2005 5:01:24 PM EDT
[#38]
I will be coming with a few guns.

Anyone driving through the Terre Haute area and want to save some gas with me?

RoseMech
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 7:05:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Any updates, Paul?
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 7:13:56 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Any updates, Paul?

I will be out there next Saturday assembling the target stands.  Hopefully we will have some folks join me to help.  I suppose if everyone who's coming could be there by 10:00 am we'd get the job done and have plenty of time to shoot afterwards.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 3:50:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Could I get a map of some sort?
I will also need a drill with big bits. I have few tools anymore. Ill also bring bolts and chain. I guess.
I am still looking for some AR iron.
I met Rosemech at a local 300.

I'm driving from TH RM,just give me a call or PM for my #.

jerryboy
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 5:03:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Due to my daughters recent illness, I can't make it now.  She is fine but I am exhausted from spending a week at Riley Childrens hospital (God bless that place).  I need to catch up on my work and we need to stay close to home for a week or two.

Anyway, keep your eye out for some more quail!  My dog is waiting for an invite this fall!
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 9:06:57 AM EDT
[#43]
I know I had something going on this weekend but I just can't remember, I will try to be there I would like to get more trigger time, maybe I will bring my 1919a4.  Commish, we need directions agian at least I do.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 1:29:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Damnit!

Got a call at noon today. I'm switching shifts. I have to work this weekend.

Ill still muster up a couple very nice gongs though.

Workin for a living Sucks!

jerryboy
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 1:37:19 PM EDT
[#45]

From Loogootee, take Hwy. 231 south somewhere around 3.4 miles or so to Whitfield. There will be a church and cemetary on the left, with a road between them. Turn left onto this road. Follow this road approximately 2 miles until you come to County Road 31. Turn right onto C.R. 31. It starts out as blacktop, but soon turns to gravel. There will be an old barn next to the road on the righthand side probably a mile or so down this road. Paul's (TheCommissioner) property is on the LEFT SIDE across the road from the barn. There is a grassy area there where you can park and walk up a grass lane to the top. If you choose to drive to the top, then continue driving past the barn to a small culvert/bridge. There is a dirt road right before the bridge on the left. Turn left onto it, then turn left again past the trailer and follow it to the top. The last time I took this road, it was washed out somewhat and rutted, but passable.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:01:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Anyone gonna be there besides Paul and me?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:21:43 PM EDT
[#47]
We've received a lot of rain in the last 9 hours which means the road to the shooting area is going to be a disaster.  I'll check it out tomorrow but I am not optimistic.  If the road is as bad as I think it will be, I'll have to limit the number of vehicles that use the road.  High ground clearance 4WD with good tread on the tires will be mandatory.

The grass in the parking area along the county road hasn't been mowed yet this year and it's very high.  

Right now it's not looking real good for Saturday.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:08:39 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
We've received a lot of rain in the last 9 hours which means the road to the shooting area is going to be a disaster.  I'll check it out tomorrow but I am not optimistic.  If the road is as bad as I think it will be, I'll have to limit the number of vehicles that use the road.  High ground clearance 4WD with good tread on the tires will be mandatory.

The grass in the parking area along the county road hasn't been mowed yet this year and it's very high.  

Right now it's not looking real good for Saturday.  

Updates???????????????
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:33:21 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm going to keep checking in for updates. If Paul hasn't posted anything by tomorrow morning, I'm going to assume that he'll be there.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:00:20 PM EDT
[#50]
I just returned from the property.  We hauled out the target stand frame and marked the spot where it will be planted.  I decided to do only one frame this time.  That means digging a couple of post holes and then erecting the frame.  Shouldn't take too long if we take turns on the post hole digger.  The distance from the proposed firing line to the frame is approx. 70 yards.

I may bring more lumber with me to erect the handgun target frame.  Not sure where the best place to plant it though.

The parking area on the map hasn't been mowed and the weeds are high.  Anyone coming via automobile or 2WD truck should park there or along the road.  Near the driveway into the overgrown parking area is an old logging road.  Walk up that road to the top of the hill.  The work area is under the powerline north of the pond.

The road to the top of the hill is rutted and unsuitable for anything other than a 4WD truck.  The cable with the "Road Closed" sign will be down.  Be careful if you drive up that road.  The rutting is especially bad at the base of the hill.  I drove up and down today in my Expedition and didn't have any problems although I took it nice and slow.

I look forward to seeing who is brave enough to come (besides M4Madness!).  See you tomorrow morning.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top