Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2004 11:46:18 PM EDT
Hi All

My name's neil and I'm a 911 dispatcher in Monroe county (Bloomington) and I'm farily new to the firearms world.

I'm looking for a handgun for personal defense and possibly to carry, however I'm undecided on what type of gun I should buy.

I was wondering if anyone around the area would be willing to take me out for a little introductory shoot.  I'd really like to shoot a .357 revolver and some type of automatic, but I'll take whatever I can get.  I'm more than willing to pay for ammo, lunch, gas to wherever we shoot, etc.

I'm signed up for an NRA basic pistol class later this month and I'd really like to have my own weapon to take - so I can learn specifically about my weapon.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:24:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Hi Neil, and welcome!

I'm a 911 dispatcher myself in Evansville/Vanderburgh cty.  Although I currently only own a little .32 (can't buy anything else until i'm debt-free), my best friend here supplies my shooting needs, and he'd probably be happy to provide some sample firearms...from 4-5 models of glocks, to .357 revolvers, to full-auto m16.  If you're at work tonight, give me a call at vanderburg county dispatch, we can talk about what you're interested in (can't post # here, but i'm sure you have it)

Good luck!
Joe
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:55:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Neil:

Welcome!  I work part-time at a gunshop on the south side of Indy and do some instruction on the side. If you're willing to come up this way, I'd be happy to let you shoot what I've got and give you some pointers. Just drop me a line!

Once you take the NRA basic class, I'd urge you to pursue some more focused defensive-oriented training; I'm putting together an FR&I Level II class in the Jasper area for next spring (early May). www.f-r-i.com

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:00:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Niel,

Im out the door, heading overseas for a month, when I get back I would be more than happy to help you out with anything you need.  Im currently living in Brown County, but will be moving to Bloomington when I get back in country.  

Luke
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:55:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Hi Neil,
I live 15 minutes south of you in Lawrence county.  I've got a snubnose (S&W J-frame) .38 revolver, an officers 1911 (.45 semiautomatic), a Ruger Single Six .22 revolver, and now a Glock 17 (9mm semiautomatic).
As far as I know, I could go next weekend if you're interested.  The closest place that I know to shoot (aside from National Forest) is over at Minnehaha, near Terre Haute.  Well...unless M4Madness steps in and offers his backyard.  There is the Sycamore Valley Gun Club, which I've been meaning to look into.  Haven't contacted them yet though.

Let me know,
Jim
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:41:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Neil, Talk to your sheriff about the range on my buddies property that your department uses. See if you can get permission to go there and try different pistols out and see what you like. Let me know and I can get you into one right. I'd love to come over and demo but I'm in Seymour and business has been crazy. I'll be there soon for a private machinegun shoot I'm sure you get plenty of phone calls about when we do it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:42:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm going to be going down to Minnehaha sometime this week coming up and the weekend also.  Me and a few buddies will have a couple Smith .40 cals compact and full size, a .38 special colt revolver, and a few shotguns.  If you are interested let me know.  Minnehaha is around Sullivan and Dugger just to let you know.  I'll be coming from Terre Haute.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:34:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Well...unless M4Madness steps in and offers his backyard.

Jim, you guys are more than welcome to shoot here anytime you like. Maybe one of these days I'll get this mess cleaned up and have a nicer place to shoot. It wouldn't do any good for ME to offer to help Neil out as far as handgun instruction goes, as I'm lucky to hit anything with a handgun myself. It would definitely be the blind leading the blind.

Neil, I'm in Springville and have a few fun firearms (full-auto and suppressed). The only handgun I own is a HK USP 45 Tactical, and I should be bringing my suppresser (silencer) home for it hopefully any day now...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top