Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2004 7:08:54 PM EDT
Does Indiana give the right to a homeowner to defend his or her home in a home invasion if they feel there life  or family members life is threatened instead of having to retreat?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:19:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Per Indiana Handgun Law 2005 by my lawyer Bryan L. Ciyou, "With regard to one's home, a person is justified in using reasonable force, including deadly force, if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent or terminate the other person's unlawful entry of, or attack on, his/her dwelling or curtilage."

Seems pretty clear to me.  You should get a copy of this book if you live in Indiana.  It's available through Elmore's Firearms, at 888-5400.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:25:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Thanks,
           I had remembered reading something about that just wanted to be sure.  The IN.gov website can be a little hard to navigate sometimes.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:27:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Thanks,
           I had remembered reading something about that just wanted to be sure.  The IN.gov website can be a little hard to navigate sometimes.

It makes a little difference where you live.  If you live in that godforsaken shithole that looks like sub-Saharan Africa up in the northwest corner, you stand a lot worse chance of getting charged with something even for a righteous shoot, than where I live.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:41:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Backwoods Orange county
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:14:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Orange county....that's the one south of Lawrence isn't it? Not too far from me then.

Anyway, you should look up the definition of curtilage also.  Makes it sound like you could shoot someone in your backyard if it was enclosed.  I certainly wouldn't, but it makes it sound that way.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:02:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks,

It makes a little difference where you live.  If you live in that godforsaken shithole that looks like sub-Saharan Africa up in the northwest corner, you stand a lot worse chance of getting charged with something even for a righteous shoot, than where I live.

Plenty of cheap real estate available in the Harbor.  C'mon up!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:10:07 AM EDT
[#7]
There's a lot around Johannesburg too, but I'm not real interested in living there either...
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:13:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Does Indiana give the right to a homeowner to defend his or her home in a home invasion if they feel there life  or family members life is threatened instead of having to retreat?

Neither Indiana, nor any other state, gives any rights. Your rights were given to you by GOD, not the friggin state. Your rights are UNALIENABLE!. Get it? Your rights are permanent! Your rights do not come and go with the whim of a legislature. We do not get anything fromt he state. The state gets limited authority from us.

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:52:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Neither Indiana, nor any other state, gives any rights. Your rights were given to you by GOD, not the friggin state. Your rights are UNALIENABLE!. Get it? Your rights are permanent! Your rights do not come and go with the whim of a legislature. We do not get anything fromt he state. The state gets limited authority from us.

In theory, I agree, but wake up to the real world.  Just try and use your reasoning in court!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:57:38 AM EDT
[#10]
All I know is this:

If somebody tries to break into my place of residence, they are going to recieve exactly one (1) and only one (1) verbal warning.  After that, any hostile action (Anything that isnt what I tell them to do) will be delt with until the threat to myself and my family is eliminated.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:05:44 AM EDT
[#11]
I agree with that, but if they're already inside, the spider just caught a fly as far as I'm concerned.

Quoted:
All I know is this:

If somebody tries to break into my place of residence, they are going to recieve exactly one (1) and only one (1) verbal warning.  After that, any hostile action (Anything that isnt what I tell them to do) will be delt with until the threat to myself and my family is eliminated.  

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:18:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:19:55 AM EDT
[#13]
That's what I was saying, in a roundabout sort of way.  If I catch you inside the perimeter you're going to meet Jesus before you even know you're in trouble.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:52:59 AM EDT
[#14]
So we have established that we can defend oursleves against an intruder. The members here are apparantly prepared but what about our family members are they ready? My wofe for instance hates guns( she watched her drunk grandfather shoot himself the 45ACP round went all the way around his head somehow, leaving a trail of the jacket) But she was also in the Navy with me and is an excellent shot with every weapon she was qualified on( I own civillain models of most) and has been in some high stress situations in the midldle east.  I know if it comes to it she can get the job done. Our  5 month old daughter is in the room with us. My wifes 60 pound Boxer/German shorthair pointer mix also sleeps in our room . Out ide are  is my 9 month old 85 pound+ white lab and 115 pound German sheperd. They are quite vocal when someone is around.  in the house I have a large assortment of surefire, maglight, streamlight and pelican lights both weapon mounted and handheld.  All my neighbors( 3 houses) are my inlaws ( another 4 large dogs,numerous shotguns rifles and handguns )and we have pretty good defensive depth.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:07:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Well,
Where I am from in WI you have to give a verbal notification to the intruder to leave.  (I lived in the liberal island of Madison/Dane County)  If you dont that can arrest you.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:14:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:15:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top