Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2004 2:04:47 PM EDT
The Hoosier AR-15.COM Shoot will be held on September 18, 2004 at 10:00AM. This shoot would be a good way to meet with those you've conversed with on this board but have never met, in addition to enjoying a great day of shooting. Plus, hopefully we will be a celebrating the end of the Assault Weapons Ban and the regaining of some of our freedoms. A secondary reason will be to try to raise campaign funds for "TheCommissioner".

BRIEF SUMMARY

The shoot will be held on "TheCommissioner's" rural property in Martin County about 5 miles south of Loogootee, IN. The property consists of an open hilltop area with a pond surrounded by woods on all sides. There is a utility right-of-way (powercut) traversing this hilltop. The powercut has a very nice earthen hill which would make an excellent backstop. In the highly unlikely event that an errant round should go over the high berm, there are absolutely no residential dwellings for miles beyond it. All in all, a pretty ideal situation. "TheCommissioner" is Paul McFeaters, who is the Republican candidate for State Representative for District 63. Basically, Paul is very pro-Second Amendment, which should be obvious from his long-term membership here. Heck, he'll probably have one of the largest "evil" firearm collections in the Indiana Legislature if elected. More information on him can be viewed HERE. Even though he doesn't actually represent many of us member's districts, he will have a direct influence on each and every one of our representatives in his daily encounters with them. Not to mention that he can initiate legislation for any of us in the statehouse with a simple contact through this board.

Anyway, this shoot is also designed to raise campaign funds for this hard election fight. He's already spent many, many thousands of his own dollars and hours on his campaign, not to mention those donated by his many supporters. He is considering accepting unlimited campaign donations. ALL CAMPAIGN FINANCE LAWS WILL BE STRICTLY ADHERED TO. Paul would request that contributions be made via check or money order so that all funds can be accounted for by his campaign treasurer. He wants no cash to be accepted. Members are urged to invite non-members to join in the fun in exchange for a donation to Paul's campaign committee. It will be very similar to a private club having a fundraiser by inviting the public to join them for an event that isn't normally open to the public. THERE WILL BE NO CHARGE FOR AR15.COM MEMBERS TO ATTEND. "Donations from AR15.COM members are appreciated, but are not required." There would never be a charge to go to a group shoot anyway, so a free shoot isn't anything out of the ordinary. It is requested that all NON-members make a contibution.

Any legal firearms are welcome, with machineguns and suppressors being REALLY welcome.

Paul is going to invite some very important folks to join us who aren't registered members. They are big contributors to his campaign. He is hoping that members who bring weapons will share them and allow these non-members to shoot them under their supervision. Remember, positive examples by responsible firearms owners can influence non-shooters and anti-gunners alike. Who knows, these guests may be very influential in government. Some of the proceeds may be used to reimburse the firearms owners for the ammo consumed.

RULES:

1. Hearing and eye protection required. Any accidents could be very costly for Paul, both financially and politically. Please follow all safe rules of firearms handling. We will need members to help with "range nazi" duty in case we get some careless people.

2. No alcohol or drugs, and (unfortunately) no Tannerite. Paul doesn't want to take any chances with the powerline.

3. No unknown people to attend unless a guest of an AR15.COM member. We want to avoid any party crashers. Paul definitely doesn't want his political opponent or any of his people showing up.

4. Everyone should try to be there at 10:00AM so we can do a safety orientation. This event will be as professional as possible. We don’t want new shooters to get the wrong ideas about firearms owners.

5. Please do not litter. The property is remote and Paul likes the serenity and hunting that his property provides. There is a scenic pond with a few pines near the firing line as well. Please take out what you bring.

People with ATV's are encouraged to bring them so we can ferry people up and down the hill from the parking area. Parking is probably going to be limited, so please carpool as much as possible. Members should try to arrive a little early to set up so we can put any tables, weapons, ammo, etc. in a few trucks to haul stuff to the top of the hill. There will only be limited access for driving to the shooting site on the hilltop. A mowed road will be used for access by walking. Please bring target stands if you have them, and perhaps shooting benches. Bring food and soft drinks, and there will probably be an area to cook things by campfire as well. I believe an outhouse is in the works as well.

Feel free to ask any questions. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:52:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Out-friggin-standing!

The wife and I will be attending, along with however many people we can encourage to come along with us. She and I won't be able to stay all day, as we'll have to leave for Missouri around 3:00 so we can shoot the GSSF match on Sunday (hardcore, or what?).  But we will be there an hour or so in advance to help set up and get things organized. I would also be happy to fill in as an RO if needed.

Will have Glocks, ARs, the AK and maybe a Class III toy or two for folks to try out. Is this a "bring your own targets" event?  If so, what kind of targets are acceptable?

What about bathroom facilities on-site? Porta-john or similar? Paul had talked about having something constructed for our pistol class in October; will it be done in time for this event?

Looking forward to seeing y'all there!

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:58:39 AM EDT
[#2]
M4

Thanks for putting this together.  As this is a short drive from my area, I will plan to attend.  Will bring my goodies and ammo for others to enjoy also.  

Even with the political undertones, this should be fun and hopefully help orient some to the reality of responsible gun owners here in Indiana.

Edited to Say:  Can bring my Quad and lots of big square paper type targets (48" x 48").

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:25:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I would also be happy to fill in as an RO if needed.

Well, then consider yourself one.

Is this a "bring your own targets" event? If so, what kind of targets are acceptable?

People will definitely have to bring targets, and a way to support them. As for target types, I'll quote Paul: 'Although I am a HUGE fan of reactive targets and big targets like appliances and automobiles, I don't want to trash the site. As I mentioned before, the property is where I go to escape and I want to leave it as natural as possible. I don't want any targets that won't naturally degrade in short time. Glass is out obviously. Clay pigeons are good, paper is good, water-filled milk jugs are good as long as the trash is picked up.'

What about bathroom facilities on-site? Porta-john or similar? Paul had talked about having something constructed for our pistol class in October; will it be done in time for this event?

A crude outhouse is in the works. It may not be pretty, but it'll be better than squatting next to the firing line.

Quoted:
Can bring my Quad and lots of big square paper type targets (48" x 48").

Thank you very much. It is greatly appreciated.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:40:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I will most likely be there, although I'm short on ammo money right now.  I'm saving to buy a buddy's Glock at the end of September.  I can bring a folding table?  Useful?

Jim
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:06:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I will be there too....
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:43:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I would like to try to come and bring my brother.  I just ordered some ammo and should have it in the next few days.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:44:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Me + 1.  I am going to be camping at nearby Martin State Forest Friday night and maybe Saturday night.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:49:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I can bring a folding table?  Useful?

Bring it, as I'm sure that it will be needed. I was wondering where you've been hiding, Jim.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:50:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I should be able to make it.  I'll have to write myself a note so I don't forget.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:55:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Umm,
Are transplanted-Purdue-attending Wisconsinites welcome?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:01:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Umm,
Are transplanted-Purdue-attending Wisconsinites welcome?

Of course.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:59:13 PM EDT
[#12]
If you knew him M4, you'd change your mind.  Purdue people are certifiably crazy.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:38:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Viper:

HEY!! I resemble that remark!  

See y'all there...

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:01:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Uh huh Viper,
Considering you are also from Purdue. . .
You going to show up as well?  
Cause if you are I am going to have to start borrowing more spoons. . .
I also have a feeling that I am going to have to get a case of .223
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:58:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Shooter that comment was made with you in mind.    I love Purdue, and am REALLY missing it this fall.  Those were the best of times.  On topic, I'm trying to get off work to get out there.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:39:09 AM EDT
[#16]
OK, just over a week to go... updates?

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:38:13 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
OK, just over a week to go... updates?

We have a brand new outhouse constructed on site.  There is about 2 hours work left on the project to make it usable which includes nailing the plywood sheathing to the outside, installing the door hinges, and putting on the roof.  With some help, the last of the work could go real quick since all the final pieces are pre-cut to fit.  Unfortunately help is hard to find now that my oldest son is in college and my teenage son is busy with school activities and very busy with his little hottie.

The weeds and brush still remain despite numerous attempts to hire local tractor owners with bush hog equipment.   Not sure how that's going to get done unless someone reading this can put me in touch with people who do this kind of work.  I am looking for equipment to rent too.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:26:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Paul:

My wife will appreciate the news of the outhouse.

If you can't find a bush-hog in time, maybe a few folks can bring weed-eaters down the morning of the event?  That would at least allow us to carve out some kind of a relatively clear spot where folks can set up and shoot. Unless the growth is too big/thick for that; I don't recall exactly from my visit.

I suppose a controlled burn is out of the question?

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:10:31 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The weeds and brush still remain despite numerous attempts to hire local tractor owners with bush hog equipment.   Not sure how that's going to get done unless someone reading this can put me in touch with people who do this kind of work.  I am looking for equipment to rent too.

Paul, I drove past your property last Saturday on my way home from the Black Buggy (wife's birthday) and checked the mileage from 231 to the property. I noticed that it hadn't been mowed, but figured you were just waiting until right before the shoot so as not to get new growth. Man, what a predicament. I live among various farmers, but your property is right around an hour from me BY CAR. I'd hate to see how long it would take someone to drive a tractor that far.

My father-in-law (screen name Mechaniac on this board) works for a equipment rental company in Monroe County. I'll give him a call, but cannot promise anything.

I can try to help you out with a few things if time permits. I started overtime today and may be working a few 12-hour days. I'll see what I can do.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:28:31 AM EDT
[#20]
I've arranged to rent one of those 'Billy Goat' brush mowers for this weekend.  I really can't afford the time to mow when I need to be out campaigning.  My teenage son can help, but the older boy has a big take-home exam at college and has to stay on campus.  The work will be mostly high weeds, some brambles, and a few small diameter sumacs.  If there is anyone willing to do some mowing, please send me an IM.  With a little help, the place will be ready for the shoot!

Thanks, guys.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:00:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:31:26 AM EDT
[#22]
How many does it look like will be coming?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:05:35 AM EDT
[#23]
me +1, maybe a few more if i can convince them

finished my ar build the night of the expiration, so i am up and ready

Rose Mech
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:14:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Just saw this...would love to make it but can't.  The drive from NE IN down there isn't going to happen.  Have fun and be safe!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:25:30 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
The drive from NE IN down there isn't going to happen.

Heck, leave at 4AM and you should make it in time.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:10:25 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm planning on myself +1
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:59:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top