Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2003 5:51:37 PM EDT
There's a good chance I'll be headed to Indianapolis for a job in 2 or 3 weeks. I'll be there for a couple months to recon the area until the wife follows me out in January. I have a few questions for you Hoosier State boys:

1. What parts of Indianapolis are good/bad as far as crime/poverty vs safety/prosperity are concerned? North/South/East/West?

2. Taxes. I see you have a flat state income tax rate of 3.4% Not bad. There's also a local income tax rate that seems to vary between ~0.7% and ~1.75%. I can handle that. I'm paying ~5% here in VA with our progressive rate scale. Tell me about your personal property/car tax. A friend of mine from Angola tells me it's pretty nasty but I can't find any evidence of it on the web. Only business-use car tax info.

3. Deleted. Happy to see the Hoosier State honors my VA CCW permit.

4. Is there a statewide standard process for the purchase of longuns and handguns? Instant check?

Thanks for your help!
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 5:57:30 PM EDT
[#1]
several thousand of my fellow aircraft mechanics were laid off in Indy by ual (stupid sob's), good luck trying to find a job! (I know they're hard pressed)
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 6:02:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually, it is in the aerospace industry but it's on the engineering side.  It's a contract job with Rolls-Royce Aero.  Don't worry, I won't be going if I don't get the job first.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 1:14:17 AM EDT
[#3]
1.  Just about anywhere on the outskirts of town are nice places to live.  The closer you get to downtown the shittier the neighborhood.
I personally prefer the far south side for various reasons, although I live north.

2.  Our property tax sucks shit.  I paid in excess of $350 for the plates for my 2002 Ford SuperCrew.  I coulda swore our lottery was supposed to lower property tax...

4.  Yes, as long as the purchase is from Monday-friday from 0900-1700 due to a new bullshit law.  Scroll down a bit to see the details of it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 3:39:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

2.  Our property tax sucks shit.  I paid in excess of $350 for the plates for my 2002 Ford SuperCrew.  I coulda swore our lottery was supposed to lower property tax...

It did by about half. You would be paying about $700.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 8:42:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It did by about half. You would be paying about $700.

Yeah Seth, quit bitchin' and spend your savings on Lottery tickets.  I need to win the lottery or get a new job.

If I was working at Rolls, I might seriously consider living SW of town.  That makes it very easy to visit a few gun shops on the way home from work.  Also, if you like to hunt or fish, IMHO, Highways 37 and 67 are the "gateways" to where you want to go.  I find myself on those  2 more and more.

If you live in town, I like where I am which is the NE side of town inside, 465.  You have a lot of access to various routes and parts of town.

Good luck, it is rare to come to Indy to get a new job right now.  We have done a kick ass job the past year at losing jobs.  So has the entire State in general.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 9:10:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I appreciate that.

I think NAFTA (both Repubs and Dems) has screwed quite a few people over the years.  That's a whole other subject, though.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 5:36:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I second the SW side for some of the same reasons. Just avoid Mars Hill area. Also avoid areas closer to downtown and inner N\NE\NW area. Basically everything outside 465 is great with only a few exceptions.

Class III stuff is available if interested. You've got plenty of good gunstores to choose from. Bradis SW, Plainfield shooters supply West, Albros SE(Beechgrove), Pop's guns E, are probably the big 4.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 7:33:44 PM EDT
[#8]
You forgot about Don's Guns!
Always great for a laugh!
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 10:16:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Don doesn't want to make money.......he just love to get employees killed.

If you work at a gun shop and your boss wants to leave you there til 9pm by yourself...........just say no!
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 3:36:11 PM EDT
[#10]
#4-An IN CCW was fine until 2 weeks ago to buy a firearm, now you have to do the Fed Insta check crap.
Do you shoot any competition?
The closer to downtown is the worst crime, most is Near North, Near East side.
Road construction is about to get heavy on west side for the next few years.
If I was going to work at Allison I'd look at Zionsville (with wife, kids). No kids? No big deal, let your own eyes be the judge. Kids? Avoid IPS schools.
Bob Cheek at Plainfield Shooting Supplies is very fair. If you need to know where the good IPSC matches are let me know.
TommyB
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top