Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2003 1:28:07 PM EDT
Do any of you guys know what the weekday hours are at the atterbury range? thx for your help
-derek
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 4:15:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Now if I can just make this hot...

Link to FWA range locations and hours:
www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/hunt/shootrg.htm
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 8:58:10 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks hoosier, i'll have to bookmark that site.
-derek
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 3:43:09 PM EDT
[#3]
What's the story with Atterbury? What's the range like? What kind of distances can you shoot?
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 9:47:07 PM EDT
[#4]
It's free and open to the public. It's run by the DNR.

They have a 25yrd pistol range. Handguns only, except for .22 rimfire and muzzeloading rifles.

There are also 50 and 100 yrd rifle ranges. The firing points are covered and there are shooting benches. There are only 4 points on each rifle range, so get there early.

All ranges are shooter supplied paper targets only. The range provides cardboard target boards, but bring a staple gun. No shooting cans or milk jugs of water.

There is also a shotgun range. You provide the targets and something to throw them.

The guy that signs you in and out does not act as a rangemaster. You police each other. This can be a real problem sometimes. I always go with a partner. We share a shooting point, and when one of us goes down range to change a target, the other one stays behind to make sure some dimwit doesn't shoot him in the back. The rules are no touching guns when someone is down range, but there is always one idiot in every group.

All in all it is not a bad place to shoot. BTW, nothing to drink on site, so bring your own water. They do have a restroom.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 5:42:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Mick. That's just a little disappointing. I was praying for that 1000 yard range.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 4:09:32 PM EDT
[#6]
If you ever find a 1000yrd range open to the public in Indiana, give me a shout.

I'm going down to a friend's farm this weekend.
I hope to get 500 yrds there.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 3:50:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Mick, read this thread from Sniper's Hide. They just opened one in the NE corner of the state. Apparently it's very nice, but it's also very expensive to join.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 4:20:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info Robar.

I already belong to one gun club, if I join another, Mrs. Mick will probably put knots on my head.

It would be nice to shoot there. Let me know if you go how you liked it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 4:26:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quick question about Atterbury. I was thinking about going this weekend, Are there any restrictions as far as ammo for shotguns? I just got a new one and wanna get an idea of how some different slugs group with it. Will I even be able to shoot slugs there or is it clays only? Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 8:29:08 PM EDT
[#10]
You can shoot slugs on the rifle range. Get there early, a lot of guys are sighting in slug barrels for the upcoming deer gun season.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 3:51:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Ok, thanks for the response. One more quick question. Any fellow Hoosiers know of a range that allows shotguns, that is closer to Indianapolis than Atterbury? Thanks
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 7:54:16 PM EDT
[#12]
You can shoot shot guns here,Marion Co. Fish and Game Association

It's a private club, but anyone can join.
Nice covered firing points, but NO center fire rifles.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 7:44:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks again for the reply, I will check them out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top